Bought a Ryobi sawzall, took it back

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had a number of Ryobi tools over the years, and they've mostly been OK. Not necessarily great, but OK. I think their cordless tools are really excellent for the money, although for a few years I've been using Milwaukee M18.

My M18 Sawzall broke, and I haven't gotten it fixed yet. Not sure yet if I'll fix it or replace it, but either way, I needed a Sawzall last week, and the Ryobi corded is $70.00 @ Home Depot. So I got one. Big, heavy, and powerful. But fairly quickly the blade clamp began acting up and letting the blades go when the going got heavy. So here I am, about a week later, returning it. This time I decided to try the Ridgid, for a couple of reasons. The Ridgid, DeWalt, and Makita (corded) were all $99, and the Ridgid has a switch for orbital cutting as well. The Ridgid also seems to have a lifetime warranty. I haven't used it yet, but I expect it to be fine.

So, I would still recommend the cordless Ryobis for the price, but not so much the corded ones. Years ago I had a Ryobi recip saw for my guys to use, back when they were sort of bluish-gray, and one day it just died. I threw it in a dumpster. I thought maybe the new one would be better, but was disappointed.

Ryobi is junk. Rigid and Milwaukee both use the same battery pack systems and I've read they are both made by the same company however I can't be completely sure.
I swear by Milwaukee tools and they are the only cordless game in town for men who depend on their tools.
Dewalt is total junk.

When I choose cordless power tools, the brand is decided by what I already have. Not being able to interchange batteries irritates me. I'd only go down two paths: Dewalt or Milwaukee. (and possibly Makita)

I have used the Ridgid warranty for a battery replacement, and they came through for me with no hassle.

But you MUST register your purchase, and you must re-register if you get a warranty replacement (they give to a slip with a 1 800 # to do so when you get your replacement)

I wonder if you just got a bad one, or if the design has changed since I bought my Ryobi (corded) sawzall 10-12 years ago. I have both corded and cordless Ryobi sawzalls, have used both quite a bit over the years around our property (love the cordless one for tree-trimming duty) and never had an issue. Would never consider using Ryobi if I needed the tools for my job or daily use, but for the average homeowner they seem to be ok. I also have cordless tools from Dewalt, Panasonic, Sears/Craftsman, and B&D.

Originally Posted By: Miniata
I wonder if you just got a bad one, or if the design has changed since I bought my Ryobi (corded) sawzall 10-12 years ago. I have both corded and cordless Ryobi sawzalls, have used both quite a bit over the years around our property (love the cordless one for tree-trimming duty) and never had an issue. Would never consider using Ryobi if I needed the tools for my job or daily use, but for the average homeowner they seem to be ok. I also have cordless tools from Dewalt, Panasonic, Sears/Craftsman, and B&D.

I was going to say I bought my corded Ryobi sawzall - OK wait - 25+ years ago (not kidding) and I have literally battered that thing for so many brutal jobs I couldn't list them all. I have not needed it much lately, but it still worked fine late last year when I cut some steel footers.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Ryobi is junk. Rigid and Milwaukee both use the same battery pack systems and I've read they are both made by the same company however I can't be completely sure.
I swear by Milwaukee tools and they are the only cordless game in town for men who depend on their tools.
Dewalt is total junk.

Clevy,
You are correct, Rigid and Milwaukee are both made by the same company. I bought a router off a guy that repairs tools for a living and confirmed that this week.

Regards, JC.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Dewalt is total junk.

Clevy,
You are correct, Rigid and Milwaukee are both made by the same company. I bought a router off a guy that repairs tools for a living and confirmed that this week.

Regards, JC.

Nice.
Thanks for the heads up.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: Miniata

I was going to say I bought my corded Ryobi sawzall - OK wait - 25+ years ago (not kidding) and I have literally battered that thing for so many brutal jobs I couldn't list them all. I have not needed it much lately, but it still worked fine late last year when I cut some steel footers.

You've done well, then. I guess it's the luck of the draw, but after having had two bad ones, I'll skip them for now. As I said, I think the cordless are good for the price.

Hong Kong based TTI makes Milwaukee (pro), Rigid (mid) and Ryobi (entry). It is simply a matter of how much you want to get out of the tool v. how much you want to spend.

Three things that go wrong with cordless tools:

Batteries, Batteries and Batteries.

Chances are you will pay almost as much for a replacement battery as for a new tool and battery.

That's the one thing that sold me on Ridgid.

My nephew works for Ryobi in Anderson,S.C. Yes...They're built to a price point...and I'm being nice!

Originally Posted By: expat
Three things that go wrong with cordless tools:

Batteries, Batteries and Batteries.

Chances are you will pay almost as much for a replacement battery as for a new tool and battery.

That's why all my tools are corded!

Yah that little factoid may affect future purchases.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: gman2304
My nephew works for Ryobi in Anderson,S.C. Yes...They're built to a price point...and I'm being nice!

Well so is everything build to a price point. A Milwaukee M18 is built to a price point, albeit a higher one than a Ryobi.

Bosch also makes great cordless tools. Just never buy any cordless tool that has ni-cad batteries. Buy Lithium Ion only and you will be happy. I have Bosch 12V drill, impact drill, and right angle drill, all over 6 years old and every single battery is still running strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back