Lead removal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a search and didn't find anything. I recently acquired an old High Standard Sentinel .22. It's a six-inch double action 9-shooter. The barrel is badly leaded, probably from shooting shot cartridges. I don't shoot very much these days, but I would like to clean it up and maybe take it to the range sometime.

Is the brass brush and elbow grease still the best method, or is there a better way?

Originally Posted By: Stelth
I did a search and didn't find anything. I recently acquired an old High Standard Sentinel .22. It's a six-inch double action 9-shooter. The barrel is badly leaded, probably from shooting shot cartridges. I don't shoot very much these days, but I would like to clean it up and maybe take it to the range sometime.

Is the brass brush and elbow grease still the best method, or is there a better way?

Still the best way I know for a badly leaded barrel. Gives you something to do on a rainy day when there is nothing good on tv.

I've never used a Lewis lead remover, but they have a reputation for working well.

I use a bronze brush and Kroil and am satisfied with the results.

There's a gun shop here that swears by marvel mystery oil for removing lead and" preventing" it.....

I've been using it on my guns for the last 10years but I never had that issue in the first place. I would imagine in todays time we have actual cleaner for heavy fouling.

Originally Posted By: leroyd92
There's a gun shop here that swears by marvel mystery oil for removing lead and" preventing" it.....

I've been using it on my guns for the last 10years but I never had that issue in the first place. I would imagine in todays time we have actual cleaner for heavy fouling.

I use it too. Only for a final patch down the bore and wipe all the metal down with it. I've been doing so for a lot of years.

Just remember that lead itself is very non-reactive, so the only way to remove it will be by physically moving it from the bore of the barrel. Even when you "get the lead out", it's still an environmental hazard; so be sure to have a plastic bag to put the patches, old brush, and newspaper you're using to clean the gun into to keep your workspace lead particle free.

According to lots of bench-rest shooters, there is a much easier way. The magic ingredient seems to be Kroil- sold as a super-penetrating oil, "The oil that creeps." Instructions seem to boil down to this:

1. Use a patch wet with Hoppe's #9 or any other bore solvent, just to get whatever surface crud/powder residue it can get- then follow with a couple of dry patches Now you have a dry, semi-clean but badly leaded/metal-fouled bore.

2. Saturate a patch with Kroil, & push through the bore. Repeat. You want the entire bore well wetted with Kroil. Now, LET IT SIT. If it was mine, from what I've read I'd give it at least 2 days. And since it's a revolver, I'd wipe down the front of the cylinder & the underside of the top-strap, just above the barrel-cylinder gap, too.

3. To clean- more than one recommendation I've read(but remember, these guys shoot benchrest uber-accuracy matches & have a real phobia about damaging their $1000+ barrels) stresses that they never use a brush. Instead, they use a caliber-appropriate jag with a dry patch centered on it, that can be driven through the bore with only light tapping. According to them, after a few days of soaking with Kroil the lead begins to push out the opposite end of the barrel in sheets & strips!

But- if you don't have all that, just use a bronze/brass .22 cal bore brush- maybe wrap a little 0000 steel wool around it. Again, if it was mine, I'd do that, ck to see if it seemed completely lead free, & then- even if it looked pristine- I'd wet it good with Kroil again, let it sit another few days or even a week, & brush again.

Someone must have fired a Lot of rat shot to lead it up that badly. Whatever you do, let us know how it comes out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2cool
Just remember that lead itself is very non-reactive, so the only way to remove it will be by physically moving it from the bore of the barrel. Even when you "get the lead out", it's still an environmental hazard; so be sure to have a plastic bag to put the patches, old brush, and newspaper you're using to clean the gun into to keep your workspace lead particle free.

Ya its a hazard, that's why it came from the environment.

Steel wool would be hard on the barrel. I would avoid it at all costs. No steel tools, brushes or wool in a barrel that you care about, they can all scratch or wear the barrel.

Bronze/brass brush. Patch on a jag. Bore cleaner and lots of repetitions...

Originally Posted By: jcwit

So does uranium, radon, and arsenic. Just because it is a naturally occurring substance does not mean you want it around you, your loved ones, and your living space.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Steel wool would be hard on the barrel. I would avoid it at all costs. No steel tools, brushes or wool in a barrel that you care about, they can all scratch or wear the barrel.

Right, that's why the Benchrest guys ONLY use polished Stainless Steel rods in their rifles.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein

Been casting bullets and smelting lead for 50+ years with no issues regarding high levels of lead in my body. Yes I get my levels checked several times a year by the VA.

I also actually touch my bullets with my bare fingers when reloading.

Neither has it been a problem with my wife who happens to live in the same house with me.

So does uranium, radon, and arsenic. Just because it is a naturally occurring substance does not mean you want it around you, your loved ones, and your living space.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

Right, that's why the Benchrest guys ONLY use polished Stainless Steel rods in their rifles.

A polished rod probably isn't going to score the barrel. Steel brush, steel wool, or other tools that come into contact with the rifling/lands could. It's your barrel...treat it like you choose...but the benchrest guys are probably a lot more precise in their cleaning and don't allow the rod to contact the barrel crown or the lead in in the chamber...a slight ding in the crown can really mess up accuracy. By using a softer metal (brass, aluminum) rod, you're less likely to damage the crown or the lead in area...

Besides, the benchrest guys are shooting jacketed, not pure lead bullets that lead up a barrel, right? So, a bit of chemistry to dissolve the copper (I've got some of those products...they turn patches green when used) and some careful work and those guys are good to go.

But no way is anything harder than brass going through my 130 year old Springfield to clean the lead...maybe that's just me...

Last edited:
Using a stainless rod on a stainless target barrel is probably okay, as I bet its a softer stainless alloy than the barrel. But on a carbon steel barrel, best to use something not as hard.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Using a stainless rod on a stainless target barrel is probably okay, as I bet its a softer stainless alloy than the barrel. But on a carbon steel barrel, best to use something not as hard.

Well that is an opinion, even if it is wrong. Ivy rods are hardened Stainless Steel. And Highly polished.

Common steel wool should not be used in a barrel but there Stainless Steel wool pads made just for this purpose as well as polishing bluing, all without scratching.

Hard rods have less embedability for abrasives to turn it into a "lapping rod".

Ever seen the muzzle wear on an old .303 that has been cleaned religiously with a "pullthrough", that is made of hemp, which is clearly softer than barrel steel ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back