Four reasons why Subaru will stay num. one in AWD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
VIZIV-2 reveals future Subaru plug-in hybrid AWD technology that will power their next-generation XV Crosstrek crossover for urban families with active lifestyles.

What does that even mean?

Little yuppy city hipsters trying to be rugged. All the big SUVs I see around here are driven by mom's taking their one kid to Whole Foods.

Originally Posted By: buster
Little yuppy city hipsters trying to be rugged. All the big SUVs I see around here are driven by mom's taking their one kid to Whole Foods.

Yeah, a lot of land rovers, I've noticed recently.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I would be interested if it had selectable 4wd with a transfer case. I don't really want all time awd.

The '04 and '05 STis were almost like that. It had full time AWD, but it was heavily rear biased and you could force the center differential to 100% open* or 100% locked via the DCCD dial.

* 100% open required one click up on the hand brake, Subaru designed it this way so hand brake turns didn't bind up the drivetrain, meaning the hand brake would only affect the rear tires and not the front

Some seriously fun shenanigans were possible with those cars.... or you could force it into full lock and pull somebody's truck out of the mud, as I had the opportunity to do.

Were the moms wearing mom jeans?

Quote:

The diesel engine and front electric motor power the front wheels, while the rear two independent motors allow the same or different levels of torque to be applied to the left and right rear wheels, depending on driving conditions. A third motor powers the front wheels, with power provided by a lithium-ion battery pack. Completing the plug-in hybrid powertrain, the four-cylinder 1.6-litre DIT diesel engine is mated to a Lineartronic (CVT) automatic transmission. - See more at: http://www.torquenews.com/1084/four-reas...h.pYJZlSXg.dpuf

Not what I want to own out of warranty; a perfect storm of > $1000 repairs.

This is totally exciting. Hopefully Subaru will not water it down too much before bringing it to market. I realize the butterfly doors probably won't make it. But the rest of it is pretty cool.

Why no one else has came to market yet with a turbo diesel hybrid is beyond me. What a perfect combination for fuel economy and good power. I'm intrigued by the power train concept, with the diesel and one electric motor for the front wheels, and separate electric motors for the rear wheels. Very interesting. It sure would simplify the mechanical drive train for an AWD system.

One article I read suggested that the Subaru may plan on the Viziv2 taking up market share that will be lost when they drop the Tribeca. Makes sense. Although they are different cars, a turbo diesel hybrid should pick up some of the same upper class type that the Tribeca appealed to.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Cut the junk. A WRX is pure driving fun. Too bad no hatch in 2015. Come on Subaru, you can do it.

What about an AWD Turbo BRZ?!?

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

The diesel engine and front electric motor power the front wheels, while the rear two independent motors allow the same or different levels of torque to be applied to the left and right rear wheels, depending on driving conditions. A third motor powers the front wheels, with power provided by a lithium-ion battery pack. Completing the plug-in hybrid powertrain, the four-cylinder 1.6-litre DIT diesel engine is mated to a Lineartronic (CVT) automatic transmission. - See more at: http://www.torquenews.com/1084/four-reas...h.pYJZlSXg.dpuf

Not what I want to own out of warranty; a perfect storm of > $1000 repairs.

How so? What would make this system any more expensive to maintain than other hybrid systems, which has similar, or even greater complexity?

So I am sure they have thought of this. One assumes the gas/diesel engine has a generator powerful enough to keep the LiIon battery charged or one could drive in certain situations and use up all the battery power and then how would the rear wheels be powered?

Originally Posted By: JavierG
Cut the junk. A WRX is pure driving fun. Too bad no hatch in 2015. Come on Subaru, you can do it.

What about an AWD Turbo BRZ?!?

Oh YEAH!!!

Take away AWD though the cars are okay at best, and I own one that is blast(2005 Legacy turbo wagon 5mt).

Originally Posted By: Silverado12

Were the moms wearing mom jeans?

They're wearing yoga pants these days
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Take away AWD though the cars are okay at best, and I own one that is blast(2005 Legacy turbo wagon 5mt).

Isn't that really true of most distinct brands? They all have some leading feature or quality that makes them loved, and without that they are just OK cars.

Take away 100 hp from every BMW and you've got a Volvo without advanced safety features. Take advanced safety features away from a Volvo, and you've got a very boring car. (Okay, not much changed there. But you get my point.)

I would agree that without AWD, a Legacy has nothing to make it stand out from an Accord or a Camry or Sonata. But if I want an AWD full sized sedan, then the Accord, Sonata and Camry aren't even in the running.

+1

When I think AWD or 4WD, I just don't think of Subaru. I think of Jeep, Ford, Chevy, especially Suburbans. I do realize they have a following.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back