Grooving tools???

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I am interested in installing some different weatherstripping around my older and somewhat crooked exterior door jambs. I think that silicone seals are the best bet.

Ive been looking at this old house, and they talk about a grooving tool.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-to/step/0,,20152571_730023,00.html#

But I don't know what this is, don't think Ive seen one at HD or elsewhere. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

For whatever reason the tools list and the materials list don't load on there.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Looks like a trim router. I've not seen that type of base before, but the body is a small trim router...like this: http://www.cpotools.com/bosch-pr20evsk-colt-variable-speed-palm-router-kit/bshnpr20evsk,default,pd.html?xsell=bshnpr10e--1

This is it...pretty pricey...

http://www.conservationtechnology.com/building_weatherseals_cornergroove.html

That groove in the this old house article is set on a 45 degree angle. You'd need a router base that can do that. It looks like you'd need the bosch colt router with the offset base.
http://www.cpotools.com/bosch-pr20evsnk-colt-variable-speed-palm-router-installer-kit/bshnpr20evsnk,default,pd.html?xsell=bshnpr20evsk--0

I have the colt router and its a good router, easy to use and lightweight.

Maybe you can rent that router at Home Depot (if they have the offset base as well).

Regards, JC.

It's for routing door jambs to allow for hardware while the jamb is installed. That's why the table looks like that. It's so the bit can get into tighter spots among other things.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
It's for routing door jambs to allow for hardware while the jamb is installed. That's why the table looks like that. It's so the bit can get into tighter spots among other things.

The expensive router is such that you can get into all corners, something regular router or a palm/trim router cannot do.

if I were you, I would use a trim router for most of the groove then woek on the corners with a chisel. You;ll have to chisel about 2-3 inches from each corner but it's easy for a small daddo/trench. Small price to pay, unless you wallet feels exceptionally heavy.

Originally Posted By: Sawdusted
Originally Posted By: Clevy

The expensive router is such that you can get into all corners, something regular router or a palm/trim router cannot do.

if I were you, I would use a trim router for most of the groove then woek on the corners with a chisel. You;ll have to chisel about 2-3 inches from each corner but it's easy for a small daddo/trench. Small price to pay, unless you wallet feels exceptionally heavy.

I have one very similar to this. Its one of those tools that if you organize your job properly you don't need however its one of those tools that when you need it its the only thing that will work so its almost a must have type tool.
When I'm hinging jambs and doors I gave a jig and do all of them prior to assembling the jamb so it's very easy and I've got no need for the small router.
I build a 30 second frame to hold the doors straight up so they're easy to router out.
But sometimes things happen and not everything can be pre-done and for whatever reason it has to be done with the door in place.

Originally Posted By: JC1
I have the colt router and its a good router, easy to use and lightweight.

I do as well. If I can use that, with some adaptation, its a nice situation for me.

Yeah the question is if something that large would actually do the job in a space as small and tight as the door jamb corner notch... Seems the other tool is designed for a smaller laminate router and is really fit to that specific size constraint.

It's called a Corner Grooving Tool.

If you were doing restorations on a regular basis it might be worthwhile to invest in one. But for a homeowner it simply isn't worth it.

It's not that hard to remove the door and frame, take it apart, cut the kerfs you need, put it back together, and then rehang everything. And it will give you the opportunity to straighten those cockeyed doors and jambs.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
It's called a Corner Grooving Tool.

If you were doing restorations on a regular basis it might be worthwhile to invest in one. But for a homeowner it simply isn't worth it.

It's not that hard to remove the door and frame, take it apart, cut the kerfs you need, put it back together, and then rehang everything. And it will give you the opportunity to straighten those cockeyed doors and jambs.

its the removal that bothers me. I have all original stained chestnut trim, and it is a big risk to remove and re-fit that. Since its not painted, its not like damage is easily hidden. Also, if I remove and re-nail, then hiding the nail holes given the original shellac will also be an issue (at least with me doing it).

I generally agree, and the doors are straight and true (removed them and had a real carpenter work them). But an in-place job would keep me more at ease... Since all my wood is in good shape, its really just a matter of taking up gaps from settling/etc.

But I am going to look into doing just that, and are consulting with a restoration and weatherproofing carpenter to see as well.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
But I am going to look into doing just that, and are consulting with a restoration and weatherproofing carpenter to see as well.

Thanks.

It's really not all that difficult. If an old fool like me can do it (and I have), I'm sure you can also do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back