U-Verse: BYO modem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm moving in a few months and have decided to dump Comcast once and for all. I will be subscribing to U-verse for Internet only, no cable TV or phone.

I can't find a straight answer on this question: can I bring my own modem? I plan to get the 18/1.5 "Max Plus" package, if it matters. I don't want to pay for their stupid $100 modem, nor do I want the $7/month rental fee.

Originally Posted By: Rand
thats dsl right?
eek.

It can vary, depending on the area, but it is generally DSL. Only other option is RCN, but they aren't in every building in Chicago.

Honestly, if they can provide a consistent 8-12Mbps I will be satisfied. I don't need anything too extravagant.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Not sure if this helps or not:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24746413-Best-modem-for-Uverse-Internet

Yes, I had seen some similar discussion topics. It sounds like it is a regional thing -- some locales must rent, others must buy, others can BYO. But no one has mentioned it recently (that thread is 3 years old).

Their setup fees/sign-up fees for Internet-only are ridiculous, so I have to do some research and see how to get that stuff down. Worst-case is that I just go with RCN or stay with Comcast and drop the cable TV services.

The real problem with u-verse is they have (and actively enforce) a 150GB data cap in most areas from what I understand. Honestly you are probably better off with RCN or comcast for internet only.

It depends on your area, it may be VDSL or ADSL2+, both most likely have their DSL equipment in your local lawn fridge and then fiber from the lawn fridge to the telco building. It should be fast enough to compare to cable modem.

We switched from cable to Uverse because the local cable company oversold the bandwidth, and you cannot use it, literally, during peak hours (i.e. 8pm).

Originally Posted By: Nick R
The real problem with u-verse is they have (and actively enforce) a 150GB data cap in most areas from what I understand. Honestly you are probably better off with RCN or comcast for internet only.

I rarely go over 100GB/month. I monitor that with my router's built-in tools. I think my average for the last few months was about 90GB, and that was including streaming all of season 2 of House of Cards @ 1080p/DD+ and lots of other streaming since I was cooped up inside during this awful winter.

comcast has a 250 GB or 300GB cap too.

real world speed may depend on the infrastructure in the area...

dparm, if you go with internet only comcast, be prepared to call to hasle about the price. maybe you can put it on a girlfriends name and be a new subscriber?

Originally Posted By: pandus13

comcast has a 250 GB or 300GB cap too.

real world speed may depend on the infrastructure in the area...

dparm, if you go with internet only comcast, be prepared to call to hasle about the price. maybe you can put it on a girlfriends name and be a new subscriber?

Comcast data caps are only in effect in certain markets though, not all. plus the 300GB cap is still twice ATT 150GB one.

I have internet only at 18GB and it was their modem only (yes, I asked). The modem was free. It's decent. Range isn't anything special, but it hasn't needed to be reset for the 11 months I've owned it. At $30 month, local Comcast can't even come close to the price (as they want $50 minimum).

Change that 18GB ---> 18Mbps. It was late...
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: SevenBizzos
I have internet only at 18GB(Mbps) and it was their modem only (yes, I asked). The modem was free. It's decent. Range isn't anything special, but it hasn't needed to be reset for the 11 months I've owned it. At $30 month, local Comcast can't even come close to the price (as they want $50 minimum).

Is that a one year price? Is it a new UVerse subscriber price?

I've been with UVerse for 3-4 years, covering my landline phone and internet. I pay $82 per month, but not sure how many Mbps. It may be 30..... not sure.

Uverse has a 250GB cap and has had for at least a couple of years, but it has never been enforced that I'm aware of.

AT&T DSL furnished a modem but I am not sure you can even buy AT&T DSL anymore. They started arbitrarily moving those customers to Uvers a year ago or more.

Uverse uses a "Home Gateway". It's a Pace/2Wire combo modem/router and handles tv/internet/wifi & Uverse voip phone. They may have a new supplier at least in some regions.

As far as I know, no one has figured out a way to replace the Gateway with their own setup. If you want to use your own router, for instance if you wanted N wifi, you would connect your new router into one of the 4 ethernet ports on the Gateway, called router behind router, turn off wifi in the Gateway and open a port for your new router, called putting it in DMZ mode.

We've had Uverse tv and internet since the fall of 2007. We've been very happy with the service. We've upgraded the tv package to what's called U300 and the internet to Uverse Max which is 12Mbps down. Never had a problem streaming a movie or music and our 3rd party voip phone works just fine.

I've never needed another router but I do have 2 switches in use, one at my entertainment center feeding tv, audio receiver & set top box and another on my desk for those times I need more than the one port left open on the Gateway. So far, no issues.

Out here its Google Fiber and Docsis 3.0 in NE Kansas. 1000 Mb download and I suspect up too. I only have docsis 3 but its fast and being multi channel bonded, its reliable like a subaru!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back