Purolator PureONE PL25288 cut open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just changed the oil on my Trailblazer and figured I would take a look inside my filter to see if it held up.

51xx miles on oil.
Dino 5w30 oil.
PL25288 filter from Amazon.com

375761_625585194180525_567424463_n.jpg

1795650_625585137513864_390741908_n.jpg

1966964_625585120847199_1260920186_n.jpg

From other purolator pictures, I've noticed a metal pleat. in this case there was none, it was glued together, in the last picture you can see where it looks like its split on the end, from what I could tell, the pleat were glued and while the end was not 100% together, it didn't seem like there was any holes. it just wasn't glued all the way out to the end.

If my local wallyworld has Rotella T6 I'll try to knock out my STI's oil tomorrow, and will post up the purolator PL14612 filter results.

Thanks for posting. Glad yours didn't tear.

Fram haters always make a scene about wavy pleats and how straight Puro media stays. Well look here, wavy media in a Purolator. Doesn't personally matter if the pleats are dead straight or not to me, but it's an interesting observation.

Last edited:
Could be because this is a larger filter, we will see if the smaller one on my Subaru has the waves.

Some Purolator applications use a metal seam pleat, others use a glued seam. This application uses a glued seam, as do many Wix/Napa Gold's.

As for the uninformed comment regarding some wave to media, Puros with some wave to the pleating is not a new phenomenon, a simple search of the this site will prove that to be true. That said, unless extreme (which said filter isn't) it's really a non factor and doesn't compromise the function of the filter. It's more an aesthetics thing than anything else. And as link to the Mahle OC47 Made in Austria shows, it's not limited to Puro filters. Mahle OC47 cut open Again though, insignificant to filter function.

Looks as though this P1 held fine and did it's job. Thanks for the pics.

I'm the first to admit I'm not an oil filter expert. With that being said, can someone explain to me the how having a filter media with a slight wave (shown in some of these threads) to it equals a poor performing filter. As long as the media has no holes and is bonded top and bottom to the end caps, shouldn't that be all that matters? I'm asking because I want to know if I'm missing something I should know.

Originally Posted By: Mfrank84
I'm the first to admit I'm not an oil filter expert. With that being said, can someone explain to me the how having a filter media with a slight wave (shown in some of these threads) to it equals a poor performing filter. As long as the media has no holes and is bonded top and bottom to the end caps, shouldn't that be all that matters? I'm asking because I want to know if I'm missing something I should know.

It doesn't. Its just that some filter snobs see it and panic for no reason whatsoever. However, if a pleats is completely folded over flat against the center tube then THAT is a problem because the media is more susceptible to having a hole blown through it if flattened.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sayjac
Some Purolator applications use a metal seam pleat, others use a glued seam. This application uses a glued seam, as do many Wix/Napa Gold's.

As for the uninformed comment regarding some wave to media, Puros with some wave to the pleating is not a new phenomenon, a simple search of the this site will prove that to be true. That said, unless extreme (which said filter isn't) it's really a non factor and doesn't compromise the function of the filter. It's more an aesthetics thing than anything else. And as link to the Mahle OC47 Made in Austria shows, it's not limited to Puro filters. Mahle OC47 cut open Again though, insignificant to filter function.

Looks as though this P1 held fine and did it's job. Thanks for the pics.

My comment was anything but uninformed. I posted that in jest because as a quick search will show, in many cut open Fram EG threads you historically get tons of whining that the pleats aren't perfectly straight which people equate with poor quality even though it literally doesn't matter. So you and I are on the same page here. A lot of Puro fans are in denial that even their pleats can and do get wavy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
My comment was anything but uninformed. I posted that in jest because as a quick search will show, in many cut open Fram EG threads you historically get tons of whining that the pleats aren't perfectly straight which people equate with poor quality even though it literally doesn't matter. So you and I are on the same page here. A lot of Puro fans are in denial that even their pleats can and do get wavy.

Actually, most cut open Purolators show more wavy pleats than the other filter brands shown here. I think Purolator users know that's the case and don't worry about it.

Only other concern is to wonder if the wavy pleats are due to a coolant leak into the oil, which can also cause wavy filter pleats.

While I agree that wavy media is insignificant considering it's common with many brands as shown with the linked well respected Mahle, I didn't find it particularly interesting in the OP's Purolator. And apparently the OP also took the "interesting" wave comment to be of some significance as indicated by his follow up question. So an answer to the common occurrence with a point of reference was appropriate.

As for the hyperbole regarding what Fram haters or Purolator fans etc. might or might not do is irrelevant to the OP's specific P1 posted which look quite good. And imo is off topic to the OP's posted P1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back