TGMO 0w20: reading beetween the lines

Status
Not open for further replies.
b650bb174046387201e965e925efb857.jpg

2 major issues:

Increased wear on hot start, low idle, and WOT.
Increased oil consumption.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

2 major issues:

Toyota is all hype. They book and resale high because people believe they run longer and have less issues than other brands. Its all in how you take care of your car and not so much who makes it. Toyota 2.4s burn oil like a mother. Ive seen it many times at work. Im in a habit of checking the level on every yota 2.4 i do an oil change on before starting any work on it. Ive turned many camrys away for having only 2 qts in the pan. And the filter location on the 3.3 makes me wanna lash out on somebody. jk. I wish i could turn those away.

Last edited:
Yeah, most Toyotas we take on trade, command way too high a price considering what they need to sell them for a profit. Toyotas suck. They always need work to sell them.

Originally Posted By: salv
Yeah, most Toyotas we take on trade, command way too high a price considering what they need to sell them for a profit. Toyotas suck. They always need work to sell them.

Lol. Im glad to hear someone agrees.

2 major issues:

Where is the proof that it increases wear on hot start up, low idle, and WOT?

Originally Posted By: gregk24

2 major issues:

Where is the proof that it increases wear on hot start up, low idle, and WOT?

I feel like WOT is a given.

If it improved them (as many on this board posit), it would be on the "good list"...

Many argue that improved protection (not economy) is the reason for thinner oils.

The OEMs without a contradiction all state that it's for economy ...like Toyota did there...(carbon emissions are by definition the same)

Originally Posted By: salv

If they are so bad - tell sales dept to not take them on trade
Oh right, you don't own the Hyundai dealership, you work at the parts counter.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Oh, so the 0w-20 I ran in my Vulcan Taurus ruined it?

Strawman ?

nobody ever states "ruin" in the discussions except you lot.

2 major issues:

Unfortunately, false speculations. In reality, I've seen significantly lower wear (thanks to higher film strength of AN Group V and excellent wear protection of trinuclear moly) and lower oil consumption (thanks to lower NOACK) with TGMO 0W-20 SN than with PYB 5W-20 SN. TGMO 0W-20 SN is an excellent oil overall. And I am running it in an 85 Toyota. On top of that, you can do long OCIs. See my UOAs.

What's the NOACK of TGMO, as that's an actual spec that has eluded me int he FAQ.

(I thought 20s ran so cold that NOACK was meaningless).

Film strength and moly come into play after things get so thin that hydrodynmics aren't the predominant factor in play.

Originally Posted By: Volv04Life

2 major issues:

Toyota is all hype. They book and resale high because people believe they run longer and have less issues than other brands. Its all in how you take care of your car and not so much who makes it. Toyota 2.4s burn oil like a mother. Ive seen it many times at work. Im in a habit of checking the level on every yota 2.4 i do an oil change on before starting any work on it. Ive turned many camrys away for having only 2 qts in the pan. And the filter location on the 3.3 makes me wanna lash out on somebody. jk. I wish i could turn those away.

Bad argument, low oil level says more about the typical Toyota owner then the brand itself.

With typical synthetic, NOACK should be below 13%. Since PYB is 15%, this is in line with my consumption that slightly decreased with TGMO. However, it was already small to begin with (about 0.3 - 0.4 qt per 5000 miles with TGMO) and perhaps the observation is because PYB is thinner.

Not sure why people claim TGMO is too thin -- its KV100 isn't far off a thin 5W-30 and many 5W-20s are thinner than TGMO. It also doesn't shear and it retains its fresh viscosity.

Toyota is a very good auto manufacturer and when they make claims, you don't expect them to be bogus. They've always made the most reliable cars in the world.

I'm rather stunned at some of the anti-Toyota comments here.
Really a pity considering this website generally offers much more than ignorance or jealousy.
Just my opinion.

2 major issues:

I was a thicker versus thin guy before using TGMO. The only thing I'm watching is how much it shears to determine how long I want to use for an OCI.

So you're experiencing "Increased wear on hot start, low idle, and WOT.
Increased oil consumption"? I haven't experienced any of these things happening.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
I'm rather stunned at some of the anti-Toyota comments here.
Really a pity considering this website generally offers much more than ignorance or jealousy.
Just my opinion.

I have owned Toy's for over 20 years. lets do the numbers
Miles before I sold each car . Never 1 engine problem and probably all still running.
Only my current one burns oil. 1 qt every 1000 miles.
current 93 - 329000 - still daily driver
2002 prizm -116000 and counting
95 - sold with 225000
98 sienna 145000
93 previa 178000
2000 sienna 136000
95 prizm 236000

Yes, the new ones have a few more problems , especially the ones built in America.
The tundra is a POS. The 2.4 burns oil if you are not regular with oil changes. The 3.0 will sludge if you do not maintain it.
Remember that all new cars , especially after 2011 , are prone to engine problems because of the new mileage requirements and the leaner burning mixtures.
Fact.....

Not sure why the Toyota hate---their reliability is legendary. Not saying they haven't had some bad makes and engine designs but they have done a better job than most manufacturers. My 1999 Lexus GS400 is going strong, and those cars are known to reach 300,000-400,000 miles. Oh, and it doesn't burn any oil even though I do a yearly OCI and use thinner 0W-20 than the prescribed 5W-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back