Oil shelf life

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple months ago i bought 7QTS of Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 for my E60.
I did the oil change as usual and the car has been working fine BUT i noticed that the production date of these bottles are JANUARY 21, 2010!!
shocked.gif

I remember shaking the bottles and checking if there was any additives or residue at the bottom after using them, everything seemed to be fine.

Should i worry about it?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Noobie
A couple months ago i bought 7QTS of Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 for my E60.
I did the oil change as usual and the car has been working fine BUT i noticed that the production date of these bottles are JANUARY 21, 2010!!
shocked.gif

I remember shaking the bottles checking if there was any additives or residue at the bottom after using them, everything seemed to be fine.

Should i worry about it?

Shell just said today in the "Pennzoil Platinum Pure Plus" Q&A thread that its dino oil and synthetic oils have a shelf life of 4 years with no shaking of the bottle involved. They make the oil so that the additives stay suspended for 4 years. It was news to me cuz ive always wondered myself.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Volv04Life
...They make the oil so that the additives stay suspended for 4 years.
Wow! And I thought getting suspended for 3 days was a long time.
lol.gif

They make the oil so that the additives stay suspended for 4 years.

And after that they fall right down to the bottom?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
They make the oil so that the additives stay suspended for 4 years.

And after that they fall right down to the bottom?

Question 15 says that it stays suspended for 4 years. sorry

I know, I've seen it. I'm just poking fun at them, as if the oil will suddenly expire and become unusable on day 1461...

Yea. I lost interest after they said they made an 0w-30 and then suddenly they dont. They also just used the same questions and answers over and over and over... Just worded differently.

I know, I've seen it. I'm just poking fun at them, as if the oil will suddenly expire and become unusable on day 1461...

Yea. I lost interest after they said they made an 0w-30 and then suddenly they dont. They also just used the same questions and answers over and over and over... Just worded differently.

Yep. A total let down.

Interesting that some vehicles says to run the oil *in the engines* for TWO years or xx miles, then the some manufacturer says it will go bad after four years on the SHELF???
I don't buy it. Shake it well to make sure there's nothing in the bottom of the jug and use it. (I don't buy 2 yr oci either... )

I think that if oil is kept from constant temperature changes and not opened, if you shake it to get the additives back into suspension, that it's good for even up to 20 years. The main issue is that it becomes obsolete in so far as newer engines are concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back