The Tire Rack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
......What you DO NOT get is:
Free Flat Repair or(of course), road hazard warranty(RHW).

But, for $120-$150, I can fix alot of flats and replace a tire now and again.

smile.gif

CB

What you also don't get is a buy-in from the mounting dealer that YOU are HIS customer. Not only can he screw up the mounting process, but he won't treat you as though you are worth the effort to try to satisfy.

Don't get me wrong. Not only am I a fan of Tire Rack, and not only am I sure that tire issues are fairly rare, but when it happens, it can be very frustrating to the consumer - ESPECIALLY if no one is stepping up as the responsible party. It's amazingly easy for tire dealers to dodge the responsibility aspect of things - but if they sold and serviced the tires, it becomes much, much more difficult.

Not my experience. The Ma and Pa place are great but they only rep like three brands of tires. That's probably the norm. Their workers are fairly long term employees however, so I am pleased with that. Overall I probably saved a few bucks over Discount, but I got the benefit of the Ma and Pa store and the TireRack knowledge base. Its a very low margin business after all. I'm satisfied.

There are no Ma & Pa tire stores around here that I can think of.
A few local/state wide chains but, they can't touch the prices that I get online without selling trying to sell me some elcheapo tires(private label tires). And I don't have good luck with private label tire on my vehicles.

Tire Rack is an essential resource to the amateur racer, and Pete was a stand-up guy. I've bought thousands of tires from them, but I have my own mounting equipment too.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
There are no Ma & Pa tire stores around here that I can think of.
A few local/state wide chains but, they can't touch the prices that I get online without selling trying to sell me some elcheapo tires(private label tires). And I don't have good luck with private label tire on my vehicles.

I bet there are ma and pa tire shops near you. Tirerack actually has a kind of database on them. You can probably Yelp one up. They are just kind of invisible. Discount has the market power to get the major manufacturers to make special cheap jack tires for them. So there will be a Goodyear "Whatsis" tire there only it will be sold nowhere else. I'm not anti-Discount. But if I have to end up ordering anyway, why not go with Tirerack?

Honestly...I have never ordered from TR, simply because I can get equal (or better) prices on car tires locally. (They do not sell the truck tires I use.)

I like to give Tire Rack my business when I can for the motorsports they support, their good customer service, selection, and all the info they provide. I've even driven 4 hours to autocross at their headquarters on their test track.

I also give my local Discount Tire store some business (often mounting tires I got from TR), but even Discount Tire gets tires from Tire Rack at times, like on the tire models that TR has exclusive rights to sell.

Last edited:
Just remember.There is NO such thing as FREE shipping.Ups Fedex etc does not work for free.It just seems like free shipping because there isn't a separate line showing the shipping.It's already figured in on the price of said tire.

I agree.
Since the shipping cost is included in the listed price, it very easy to compare price to local tire store(s). Otherwise, you need to add tire(s) into your cart and click on estimate shipping cost to see the final price.

My whole point of this thread was the death of Mr. Veldman and the company he founded. We was a good man and donated much to driving programs in the No. Indiana school districts. A true philanthropist.

Little to do with the selling of tires on-line or otherwise.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
My whole point of this thread was the death of Mr. Veldman and the company he founded. We was a good man and donated much to driving programs in the No. Indiana school districts. A true philanthropist.

Little to do with the selling of tires on-line or otherwise.

You're right! We lost track of the topic and stole your thread!
Sorry to hear about the passing of Mr. Veldman. A good man I'm sure
smile.gif

Sorry to hear about his death. Tire rack has always been an excelent choice.

Too bad shipping charges and installation charges now approach $200 per set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back