2013 BRZ - Two UOAs (GC0w30 and Toyota SN 0w20)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: nickolas84
To put it simply, think why you shouldn't thrash your engine cold. Missmatch of cold engine components may be a small part of it, but the main reason is you don't have enough oil flow. Viscosity is super high, oil pressure jumps to max right of idle, but flow is little to none and this can brake your engine.
Thicker is no match to the extreme forces in the parts that matter like the bearings, so by itself has nothing to offer to lubrication.
Modern oils, even 0W-20 hold up very well in high temperatures and propably can do at least 285F all day.
You don't want to cook your oil to the point of destroying it, but modern oils give you lots of headroom temperature wise.
By the way, all factory oil coolers have a thermostat.

Another point of 'incorrectness' if I might add---not all factory oil coolers have tstats--take my 08 Z06 8.5 qt sump, an oil cooler the size of Nebraska, and NO TSTAT--big mistake on the engineers part---cruising oil temps in all but summer are about 150 degrees

Originally Posted By: steve20
my 08 Z06 8.5 qt sump, an oil cooler the size of Nebraska, and NO TSTAT--big mistake on the engineers part---cruising oil temps in all but summer are about 150 degrees

This is an air-oil heat exchanger?

Looks like this is what you need then:
http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product/6165/Sandwich_Plates

"The Mocal Oil Thermostat for GM LS Series V8 engines is the first, and only, oil take off to incorporate a thermostatic control that automatically regulates oil flow to connected cooling devices and is the answer when installing oil cooling on high performance engines that see street/track use in varying climates and conditions. The Mocal unit simply bolts in place of factory gauge sender and operates by bypassing oil until minimum temperatures are met before sending full oil flow to the cooler(s)."

Originally Posted By: martinq
Originally Posted By: dparm
That thing needs an oil cooler if you're sustaining high-270 F oil temps.

+1 Don't try to fix a cooling issue by changing oil. Fix the cooling!

That's exactly right as the FRS owner in the following thread discover:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3151637/6
The oil cooler dropped the max' oil temp's to 224F, usually being in the 212-220F range.
As a result the ECU no longer cut the power to deal with the excessively high oil temp's.
If it were my car I'd certainly install the cooler, it obviously needs one. I don't know if it was a heat-exchanger or not which would be ideal. I wouldn't worry one second about warranty concerns.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: martinq
Originally Posted By: dparm
That thing needs an oil cooler if you're sustaining high-270 F oil temps.

+1 Don't try to fix a cooling issue by changing oil. Fix the cooling!

That's exactly right as the FRS owner in the following thread discover:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3151637/6
The oil cooler dropped the max' oil temp's to 224F, usually being in the 212-220F range.
As a result the ECU no longer cut the power to deal with the excessively high oil temp's.
If it were my car I'd certainly install the cooler, it obviously needs one. I don't know if it was a heat-exchanger or not which would be ideal. I wouldn't worry one second about warranty concerns.

Engine ECU uses oil temperature (among other things) to make sure that no component of the engine is overheated (like pistons). Adding an oil cooler throws of these calculations. Now this could be proven a non-issue, or other temperature readings (like exhaust gas temperature) may be enough of a safety.
The point is that adding an oil cooler is an experiment. It will increase engine performance and help heat dissipation but you cannot be certain how it will affect engine longevity. On these grounds it could be a serious warranty concern should the engine fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back