Tested Archoils Claim of Reduced Emissions-Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every year I have trouble passing emissions in the '77 F250. Archoil claims both their fuel additive and friction modifier reduce emissions. Last year, I leaned the carb slightly and used 2 bottles of Iso-Heet to finally pass(barely by 1ppm on idle HC). After the test, I tuned the carb back since it runs better that way. This year, the only thing I did was put AR9100 in the oil and had been using AR6200 for a few weeks prior to testing. On to the numbers.

Last year 1st test(no additives fuel or oil):

Idle HC: 589ppm
Loaded HC: 186ppm
Idle CO: 0.21%
Loaded CO: 4.37%

This year(Archoil in oil and gas):

Idle HC: 318ppm
Loaded HC: 166ppm
Idle CO: 3.94
Loaded CO: 4.21

So, compared with last year, Idle HC was significantly reduced. Slight reduction in loaded HC and loaded CO. Idle CO quite a bit higher with the Archoil. Unfortunately, although some numbers improved, the truck still failed the loaded CO(limit 3.0%).

I went back to the good old trick of using 2 bottles of Iso-Heet with 6 gallons of 91 octane and 2.5oz of MMO(and possibly a small of amount of residual AR6200). The truck passed easily.

With Iso-Heet:

Idle HC: 244ppm
Loaded HC: 126ppm
Idle CO: 2.84
Loaded CO: 0.44

I know the best way to prove if the Archoil lowered emissions would be some sort of back to back testing, but this is what I have. Take it for what you will. I can tell you this though, If you're relatively close on the emissions test use Iso-Heet. It worked for Ol' Yeller anyways
smile.gif

isnt isoheat ethanol?

could you just theoretically put a gallon of e85 in instead?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
isnt isoheat ethanol?

Honestly not too sure, E85 isn't too common around here though. It would cost me more to drive and get the E85 probably. IIRC, the two bottles were just over $4 after tax.

Originally Posted By: Rand
isnt isoheat ethanol?

Actually it's isopropyl alcohol. But I'm not sure if that in itself would make a difference.

About 10-12 years ago my LS400 barely passed smog check with very little margin. I bought a case Redline SI-1 and used 1 bottle every year in it, it passed the smog check with more than 80-90% margin the next time, nothing was done between 2 smog checks.

All Redline SI-1 was gone, now I use Techron fuel system cleaner concentrate about 2 tanks before smog check in my cars.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
About 10-12 years ago my LS400 barely passed smog check with very little margin. I bought a case Redline SI-1 and used 1 bottle every year in it, it passed the smog check with more than 80-90% margin the next time, nothing was done between 2 smog checks.

All Redline SI-1 was gone, now I use Techron fuel system cleaner concentrate about 2 tanks before smog check in my cars.

Perhaps I'll give SI-1 a try next year.

WOW, That's a dramatic difference with the alcohol in it. You have many holdouts here who don't believe there's a reason for E10 gas.

Imagine how clean E85 burns.

E85 locations:

Western States Petroleum
450 S 15th Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85007 Phone: 602-252-4011

Texaco
710 E Indian School Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85014 Phone: 602-266-2633

Team C B Chevron
4737 E Broadway
Phoenix, AZ 85060 Phone: 602-454-7050

Valero
1925 N Scottsdale Rd
Tempe, AZ 85281 Phone: 480-947-0233

Z's West Olive
5905 W Olive
Glendale, AZ 85302 Phone: 623-842-4094

Toor Chevron
9080 W Olive Ave
Peoria, AZ 85385 Phone: 623-334-8715

Chevron Express Gas & Carwash
7473 W Bell Rd
Peoria, AZ 85382 Phone: 623-773-0102

Well it looks like there are better ways to pass the smog test than adding Archoil's product. Do they offer a satisfaction guarantee of any kind? Thanks for posting.

Of course your co is going to increase when your HCs drop. For each one he molecule, you're making with or more co or co2 molecules.

Looks to me that you have an incomplete combustion problem.

Adding alcohol lowers combustion temps, which can reduce nox, but also each alcohol molecule adds an oxygen atom, which is what you need since the truck is obviously not breathing/mixing/combusting right.

I am somewhat shocked that a state like Arizona is requiring an emission test on a 77 truck! Do you have too many Californians living in your city?

Frankly, given the way AZ leans, it is hard to understand its insistence of emission testing good old American trucks.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I am somewhat shocked that a state like Arizona is requiring an emission test on a 77 truck! Do you have too many Californians living in your city?

Frankly, given the way AZ leans, it is hard to understand its insistence of emission testing good old American trucks.

I know, it bugs me that I have to test it every year. IIRC in Phoenix metro area, only '67 and older vehicles are exempt from emissions.

JHZR2, I know I really should have a mechanic take a look and dial her in.

Demarpaint, I don't know about any money back guarantees. I wouldn't say I'm dissatisfied with the product, but will be going back to MMO.

Bandito, thanks for the list. As I suspected, the closest E85 station is 15 miles from me.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
WOW, That's a dramatic difference with the alcohol in it. You have many holdouts here who don't believe there's a reason for E10 gas.

Careful with that conclusion. Ethanol may improve the emissions of engines with no electronic fuel delivery control and no feedback (oxygen sensors). That 1977 truck is far from a modern vehicle in terms of emission controls - it probably has a carburettor and no feedback.

In my opinion, the emissions justification for mandating ethanol in gasoline died when we stopped using carburettors in automobiles.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
That 1977 truck is far from a modern vehicle in terms of emission controls - it probably has a carburettor and no feedback.

It definitely has no feedback. Mine was the big year for the feedback carb, and those were an absolute disaster.

We've been through that in various threads, but a burning taper dipped in fuel under an oxygen deficient glass dome is also conclusive proof of Turtlevette's science.

It is the toxic byproducts of burning ethanol that is the big problem, not the HC or CO. Ethanol burning produces less HC and CO, but at the cost of significantly more 'zenes and carcinogenic emissions. These will lead to higher rates of lung disease and health problems as they increase with more ethanol burning. Brazil has already started running into these issues.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

It is the toxic byproducts of burning ethanol that is the big problem, not the HC or CO. Ethanol burning produces less HC and CO, but at the cost of significantly more 'zenes and carcinogenic emissions. These will lead to higher rates of lung disease and health problems as they increase with more ethanol burning. Brazil has already started running into these issues.

Nice try, but in the Ethanol Fanbook you are specifically forbidden to mention the byproducts of alcohol combustion in an ICE.

The reason why adding alcohol would reduce some emissions on this vehicle is that it is carbureted. Since it can't adjust the fuel/air mixture as do current electronically controlled injector systems with an oxygen sensor feedback loop, and since alcohol's optimum fuel/air mixture is richer than gasoline's, adding alcohol basically "leans out" the engine.

Ethanol is not inherently cleaner burning than gasoline.

Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D

The reason why adding alcohol would reduce some emissions on this vehicle is that it is carbureted. Since it can't adjust the fuel/air mixture as do current electronically controlled injector systems with an oxygen sensor feedback loop, and since alcohol's optimum fuel/air mixture is richer than gasoline's, adding alcohol basically "leans out" the engine.

Ethanol is not inherently cleaner burning than gasoline.

Oh yes it is. By far. How much sulphur does ethanol have?

If modern fuel injection is so clean why do we still need cats?

Get educated, read up, and get the chip off your shoulder. Autos do not always operate in feedback. They run rich when warming up and under higher loads.

Ethanol will always burn cleaner under equal conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back