Malaysia Airlines 777 loses contact...not found

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sad. Very good aircraft however. One of the safest in the air. Last year in San Francisco where those three people died during that 777 crash landing (pilot error), was the only serious accident I think that aircraft has had.

Wierd...better half woke up with a start this morning (around 2-3AM), telling me that she'd seen a qantas plane go down (in the neighbourhood...which we can vouch for not having happened)

Originally Posted By: Rand
hijacking?

That's what I was thinking. It is VERY unusual that a distress beacon wouldn't have been activated if it was in fact a crash without any foul play even if the pilots didn't manually activate the warning beacon the plane would automatically do it if it went down.

It's been what, 11 Hours and there's still no sign??

Tracking systems should get them close and they should've been on it by now....

Unless it "nosedived" into the water....

From what I've been hearing it looks like it crashed into the water. Tragic, prayers sent.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Tragic, prayers sent.

Yes. Indeed.

My Wife is from that area, so it hits home.

There should be a rectangular several square mile area to look, how can they not find it by now unless it went straight to the bottom intact?

If it did nosedive to the bottom, you'd think some parts would break off & float up...

Uh.

Just in: An oil slick stretching 12-miles has been sited between Malaysia & Vietnam & is possible first sign Malaysia Airlines plane crashed.

When big planes vanish like this, it is usually the case that they crashed into a mountain, or mechanical/pilot error issues caused an ocean impact. This news is sad.

Even if they were to lose all the engines, they would have had time to send out distress signal. Short of plane splitting in the midair, there should be some time before it will hit the ocean.

Last edited:
And unfortunately in today's information age, at least half of what gets reported in the first 48 hours will be pure speculation or inaccurate. I'll sit back and wait for a bit before thinking we have any true idea of what happened.

Sad news regardless. Still wouldn't hesitate to fly the triple 7. One of the safest planes ever made.

I went to flight aware flight tracker and it appears that the plane had just reached cruising altitude before contact was lost with it. (I would say that it was on autopilot at this time) That is what is VERY odd about this incident, usually that is the period of time when a plane is LEAST likely to have issues. Strange.

It has been reported by various news outlets that two Italian nationals, who were supposed to be on the plane, had their passports stolen.

SO who were these two people on the plane with stolen passports?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back