Preferred Brake Bleed Method

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually used about double the brake fluid capacity when bleed any car of my fleet, I like the get as much old fluid out as possible. Since I do it once every 3-4 years, 2 quarts DOT-3 brake fluid per car at about $12 at Walmart is not that expensive.

I had Motive power bleeder some years ago, with correct adapters for my cars, I could not bleed the rears of either LS400 or E430. I sold it on eBay and Craigslist and use Mityvac 7201.

How fast is gravity bleeding, and is it impacted by ABS pumps etc? I could stand to do all three vehicles this year, and I *think* the VW takes different fluid than the Toyota's. I used a pressure pump once but it kept blowing off the MC on the VW and I gave up; had a mechanic do it instead.

I've done traditional pedal bleeds, speed bleeders, and MityVac.

I think my favorite was the speed bleeders. I had them on my STi so I could take a quick pump to clear fluid out of each caliper after a lapping session without having to remove a wheel.

The MityVac worked fine, and is useful for other stuff, but I liked speed bleeders better.

Of course the traditional pedal bleed works fine, it's just a little tedious and needs more than one person.

Originally Posted By: Mykl
I've done traditional pedal bleeds, speed bleeders, and MityVac.

I think my favorite was the speed bleeders. I had them on my STi so I could take a quick pump to clear fluid out of each caliper after a lapping session without having to remove a wheel.

The MityVac worked fine, and is useful for other stuff, but I liked speed bleeders better.

Of course the traditional pedal bleed works fine, it's just a little tedious and needs more than one person.

Speed bleeder is very good in your case.

Since I bleed my cars once every 3-4 years in my garage, Mityvac works fine in my case.

The difference between speed bleeder and other tools is you need 1 set of speed bleeder for each vehicle. One Miyvac can do more than brake bleeding, it also does oil, ATF ...

Call me old fashioned, but I still just do the old school bleed the brakes through plastic hosing till you don't have air bubbles as your best friend pumps the brakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back