What are symptoms of a manual trans overheat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a Fiat Turbo, with the Abarth transmission. I've looked around online to other cars with problematic M/Ts. The BMW E60 was one, but their issue was a message on the dash board, and I couldn't match anyone else's symptoms to mine. I don't get a warning light, but I get very poor synchro performance in mild traffic, where I'm shifting often between 1-2-3 gears. This was yesterday, however the issues first happened during 90+F days while simply driving around on fifth gear and other normal driving. This car mainly sees the highway and long straight 55mph back roads. During this, I keep thinking I'm hearing excess noise from the gearbox, but I might be hearing things. The dealer shrugged their shoulders at me.

What do you guys think? What are the symptom of a hot gearbox so I know for future reference. Thanks!

Did you check the fluid level?

No guarantee it was filled correctly @ the factory.

You could also try a different fluid.

Last edited:
I suspect it's overfilled, I'm looking for the fill hole now, and trying to research what level it should be. I know most are supposed to be filled to the threads, but I'm just checking incase it needs to be 1.126mm under the hole, or something Italian like that.

I wish they were that precise with the panel gaps in the dash board
laugh.gif

Find out what kind've fluid it specs and replace the fluid with a top of the line manual tranny specific fluid (Redline,Amsoil,etc).

I agree aquariuscsm, I wonder if these vehicles have a magnet in the pan, that's usually a quick way to estimate the wear..

Originally Posted By: Amirkhat
I agree aquariuscsm, I wonder if these vehicles have a magnet in the pan, that's usually a quick way to estimate the wear..
wait, theses may not even have a pan, my mistake

Factory fill is a 75W GL4 oil made by Castrol (filled to the fill plug threads). The gearbox appears to be an old design - literally an old 4 speed with the case end hacked off and a 5th gear tacked on. I wouldn't be surprised if a 75W-90 performed better in warm weather.

Drain it and refill with Amsoil MTG. In my car,the hotter the tranny the smoother it shifts.

Last edited:
...and for premium grade I would recommend synthetic...I added a quart of Redline MT-90 to the Kitacam tranny and shifting is smoother...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back