Castrol Edge EP vs Castrol Edge Syntec ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the difference between Castrol Edge Extended Performance ans Castrol Edge Syntec? The syntec was a doller more in cost, extended performance is rated to 15,000 miles. I thought the "edge" series is the oil with some PAO's in it, to compete with Mobil one extended performance. I ended up buying the edge extended performance for $22.95 for 5 qts.

You said it yourself. Extended Performance is a 15,000 mile rated oil, while Syntec is a normal interval synthetic. Not sure why Syntec would cost more though.

You did pretty good getting the ep for 22.95. It goes for 25 and some change at the walmarts around here, which still isn't all that bad.

This has also puzzled me as well.

You have the Gold Bottles that are Edge, and are good for up to 15,000. These Products have the Titanium technology in them, if that means anything.

Then you have products that just say Edge With Syntec, for example GC is Syntec, but can be used for 10,000 miles so wouldn't you call that EDI oil too?

Typical Castrol crazy labeling and advertising.

"NOW THATS THINKING WITH YOUR DIPSTICK JOHNNY!!!"

Jeff

All Edge is good, but gold bottle is better IMO you done good. The only ones that appear to me to have any PAO in them are the Castrol "0" weights and the Edge 5w40, but who really knows.

The gold bottle is exceptionally shear resistant though, whereas the black bottle stuff seems average in that regard. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back