Cleaning brass

Status
Not open for further replies.
For what? In my revolver I never bothered cleaning, as I bought the brass new and it never got wet.

I did just get a cheapo tumbler, and did tumble some brass with corn-cob media. Did not put in anything else. Hour or two cleaned most of the crud off, but it's certainly not shiny. But my revolver won't care.

A semi though might want clean brass.

Originally Posted By: punisher
Old vibratory tumbler(about 28 years old), walnut shell media, and generic brass shell polish.

Bright and shiny.

Yep

I tumble them in walnut media with a little Bon-Ami. If I really want to go crazy I put them in the ultrasonic cleaner afterwards.

Rock tumbler, stainless steel pins, water, Dawn, a dash of Lemishine and a couple of hours.

Adds an extra drying step but it yields shiny and clean brass, inside and out, including the primer pockets.

I have 2 vibrators that I use for cleaning. Walnut seems to clean faster than corncob media. You can buy both pretreated with polishing compound if you want. After you use the media for awhile and it seems to lose it's polishing effectiveness you can add a little bit of case polish to it.

Quick note, if your corncob or walnut media gets a little dusty, throw in a dryer sheet and it will "soak up" a lot of the dust.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory

Quick note, if your corncob or walnut media gets a little dusty, throw in a dryer sheet and it will "soak up" a lot of the dust.

*** And as a plus you'll have that spring fresh scent every time you pull the trigger! LOL

JP

Two Midway tumblers--one with walnut to do the initial cleaning and one with corncob to do the final polishing. After de-priming, they see the walnut first and I then re-size them. After re-sizing, they are tumbled in corncob with Midway brass polish and they come out shinier than new.

Walnut cleans better than corncob and corncob polishes better than walnut (at least that is what I have discovered in my 23 years of reloading).

Lyman Turbo Tumbler and corn cob media treated with brass polish. I like the Cabela's media/polish kit. The used dryer sheet trick works well, but for me it helps to cut the dryer sheet into four pieces before tossing it in.

I've used the walnut/rouge media before... it does work faster and gets them cleaner, but it generates a lot of dust and the rouge gets everywhere. Not worth it for the mess it generates.

I load for .40 and .357. I have a HF ultrasonic cleaner that I can get around 100 pcs. in the basket. I use about 1/4 teaspoon of dish soap and fill with warm water. I de-prime before cleaning, so that the primer pockets are cleaned. The cleaner has a two or three minute cleaning cycle, so I run it around 4-5 times. Make sure all of the cases are under water. The water is always very dirty and the brass is clean, but not super shiny. Best part is that the primer pocket is so clean that I don't have to use too much force on the press.

I have a vibratory tumbler that has been mothballed in favor of a Hornady ultrasonic cleaner.

My gun room is just off the family room and I did not want the dust from the tumbler to drift onto the carpet where my small kids play (nor do I want to breathe it).

The ultrasonic cleans the cases, but does not polish them. No dust to worry about. There are no stainless pins to worry about either.

De-cap, ultrasonic clean-lyman cleaner with lemishine and 1 drop dawn, dry in 170 degree oven then lyman turbo 1200 with treated corncob media.

I have the harbor freight 2.5L version also. I purchased the Lyman basket for it as it made by the same company. It works very good and with a 25% off coupon from the American Rifleman magazine is a super deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back