Mobil 1 vs Kendall full synthetic 09 SLK55 AMG

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently switch from Mobil 1 0w-40 to Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic Euro Motor Oil 10w-30 in my AMG SLK55. I'm noticing that my engine oil is running roughly 3-4C hotter than with the mobil 1. With Mobil 1 im at 100C to 103C. Now I'm running around 103C to 106C. Does anyone know if this 3-4C difference is enough to be of concern? Should I switch back to Mobil 1?

Thanks,

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Why in the heck would you do that??????????

+1 ^^^^^^^^^^^^

I am lost on this. There is a 10w30 Euro Oil???
21.gif

if its a 30w it must be LOW SAPS So dont go more than 3k miles on the oil.

You sure its a 10w30??

Jeff

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Andyslk
I recently switch from Mobil 1 0w-40 to Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic Euro Motor Oil 10w-30 in my AMG SLK55. I'm noticing that my engine oil is running roughly 3-4C hotter than with the mobil 1. With Mobil 1 im at 100C to 103C. Now I'm running around 103C to 106C. Does anyone know if this 3-4C difference is enough to be of concern? Should I switch back to Mobil 1?

Thanks,

I work at firestone and all ive ever seen is the 5w-40 euro. Weve havent used 10w-30 in over a year. All we ever have available is 0w/5w-20 and 5w-30/5w-40 and those are all bulk except the euro. The 40 actually has euro written on the bottle.

Last edited:
No 10w30 Euro on Kendall's website.

AND the 5w40 Euro is 229.51 approved not 229.5 so even that is the wrong oil.

Go back to M1 0w40!!!!!

Thanks,

Seriously man?
I mean I will sound like an a.., but AMG is not for everyone!
Go back to M1! It is factory fill in your car for a reason!

I recently switch from Mobil 1 0w-40 to Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic Euro Motor Oil 10w-30 in my AMG SLK55.

33.gif

Easy on the new member, please. The guy just signed up today and posted for the the very first time and you guy jump on him like this he may not want to come back to ask any other question he may have.

For standard MB engines you may be able to use 1 grade thinner if you're out of warranty and your drive like grandma. For AMG engine you need to stick with MB 229.5 oil, M1 0W40 is on that list and easy to find anywhere. Walmart has it in 5-qt jug for $25.xx, it's hard to find any MB 229.5 oil for less than $5/qt.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Easy on the new member, please. The guy just signed up today and posted for the the very first time and you guy jump on him like this he may not want to come back to ask any other question he may have.

For standard MB engines you may be able to use 1 grade thinner if you're out of warranty and your drive like grandma. For AMG engine you need to stick with MB 229.5 oil, M1 0W40 is on that list and easy to find anywhere. Walmart has it in 5-qt jug for $25.xx, it's hard to find any MB 229.5 oil for less than $5/qt.

I know, but these reaction might make him dump that oil tomorrow from an engine!

No kidding! It would be my first and last question.

I have no input for your question OP. I'm not an expert and don't see what all the fuss is about personally. Welcome to BITOG!

Not quite. Modern MBs in the US should use 229.5 oils. You can't choose any 30 weight oil. Heck you can't choose some 30 and 40 weight Euro oils as they are MB229.51 as is Kendall.

And while you can choose 30 or 40 so long as it is 229.5, on an AMG you can only use xw40. No 30 weights allowed.

He was pointing out that going out of grade or spec isn't going to cause an MB engine to blow up. Going out of spec can be done if one is cautious, reasons things thoroughly, and one's driving habits justify it. If a newish Benz is used as a grocery getter or by grandma going to bingo and the oil is changed sufficiently frequently, even a GF-5 type conventional won't be the end of the world. I wouldn't recommend it, but it's far from the end of the world.

The specs are there for a reason, but we needn't act as if we're trying to run a 110 V appliance off of double the voltage. MB did include 5w-20 and all kinds of other light grades, weather permitting, not all that long ago. How thin is any oil going to get, even something a grade thinner than recommended, after a five block trip?

That being said, 10w-30 is an odd choice, even if it were an approved lube. If it were on the approval list, it would likely be one of my last choices.

Originally Posted By: Garak
He was pointing out that going out of grade or spec isn't going to cause an MB engine to blow up. Going out of spec can be done if one is cautious, reasons things thoroughly, and one's driving habits justify it. If a newish Benz is used as a grocery getter or by grandma going to bingo and the oil is changed sufficiently frequently, even a GF-5 type conventional won't be the end of the world. I wouldn't recommend it, but it's far from the end of the world.

The specs are there for a reason, but we needn't act as if we're trying to run a 110 V appliance off of double the voltage. MB did include 5w-20 and all kinds of other light grades, weather permitting, not all that long ago. How thin is any oil going to get, even something a grade thinner than recommended, after a five block trip?

That being said, 10w-30 is an odd choice, even if it were an approved lube. If it were on the approval list, it would likely be one of my last choices.

So wait, he bought SLK55 AMG to drive it nice? There is Camry for that!

Originally Posted By: Garak

1 grade thinner at worst means a 20 weight with a HTHS as low as 2.6 vs the minimum 3.5. Even in a 30 weight that's 2.9 vs 3.5.

HTHS is the name of the game here not SAE grades.

So going a grade thinner is not good advice because the actual drop is not insignificant when going from a Euro oil expressed in SAE to a non Euro oil expressed in SAE. Imagine giving the advice to drop a grade to someone running GC! While you've qualified the suggestion a little it hadn't been in the post I responded to and the OP would not necessarily have done that qualification. You don't know how he runs his vehicle and in CA he will most likely see 100f somewhere. In LA he will see stop and go. And as he heads inland he will see 110f plus.

So in my opinion its risky advice and not in the same ballpark when someone asks whether they should be running 20 or 30 in their Hyundai / Toyota / Honda or even older German cars prior to the current specs.

Originally Posted By: bvance554

No kidding! It would be my first and last question.

Why sugarcoat it? Hopefully the OP came here asking for advice and not just to gain confirmation that the stuff he put in his engine is "just great." The OP made a number of mistakes. We might as well clearly point them out, whether he's new to the forum or not. Kendall doesn't make an MB 229.5 approved oil. Also, there is no such thing as "Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic Euro Motor Oil 10w-30". Instead of dancing around it, let's set the record straight.

With that said, Andyslk, welcome to BITOG! I hope you stick around and learn what's best for your ride.
welcome2.gif

Originally Posted By: TrevorS
1 grade thinner at worst means a 20 weight with a HTHS as low as 2.6 vs the minimum 3.5. Even in a 30 weight that's 2.9 vs 3.5.

HTHS is the name of the game here not SAE grades.

We all know that. But, engines are not that sensitive to viscosity to the point that anything from Germany must run an oil with a 3.5 HTHS under all conditions and that a Honda Civic must have a 0w-20 under all conditions.

They may be optimal, respectively, under all or at least most conditions. Of course, we don't know how he runs in California. Nonetheless, this isn't a case where you must hook it up to a tow truck and get it to a shop to put the proper oil in. The heat of California in stop and go traffic will tax his cooling system more than his oil temperatures, all things being equal.

The Europeans call for such oils that give them decent thickness at operating temperatures plus appropriate cold weather capabilities. The whole point is to preclude seasonal viscosity switches. That doesn't mean an ILSAC rated 30 is a time to panic.

Of course, there's no reason for him to run such an oil in the first place. I can't see any advantage whatsoever.

Thanks for all the responses!

The oil was actually a 5W-30, not 10W-30 as I originally posted. Here is a link to the Kendall Euro oil spec: Kendall.

As you can tell, I know absolutely zero about oil. Can't tell you the difference between a 229.5 vs 229.51, that is the reason I came to this site.

My car was at this service shop called Wheel Works getting new tires. Service guy noticed that I was coming due on an oil change and offered to change my oil. Told me they only use manufactured recommended oil. Long story short, I notice that my oil temp was about 3-4C hotter than normal...which prompted me to do some research and I found this website.

Thanks to your advice, I have decided to drain the oil and put Mobil 1 0W-40 today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back