Saiga for Banging around gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hatt
That's the first documented case of CProducts products fixing anything.
grin.gif

I never had an issue with their mags. And all guns have their own temperament. I have two old school Colt SP1 AR's and one is a dream and the other is much more finicky. Kind of sad my Oly Arms runs circles around one of my Colts but it is what it is.

6.8 SPC is an interesting round. Good effectiveness, designed for it, in fact.

6.5 Grendel is a better long range shooter, not quite the weight of the SPC, though...but designed for accuracy.

.300 AAC would be a good deer cartridge, not the best long range choice, perhaps...but meant to fit a .30 cal in the AR-15 with minimal mods and allow suppression if desired.

But the problem with all of these rounds (which interest me, by the way) is cost of ammo. I can get .223 at my LGS for .45/round (Federal) and .308 for .80/round (federal).

I think ammo cost is an important consideration for a "banging around gun". It doesn't trump accuracy or effectiveness but the .308 is both very accurate and very effective. I am off to the range with my LR-308 this morning...I still think it would be a great choice for the OP. Acquisition cost of the weapon is a bit higher, but over the long run, ammo cost matters too...

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: strat81
7.62x39 ARs are a no go. Poor reliability due to the shape of the round which dictates that mags should have a near-constant curve which the AR magwell does not allow.

6.8SPC is a good choice for deer hunting with an AR.

My friend had a problem for a long time with 30 round AR mags in 7.62 until he used C products mags. Also, depending on state regs you are limited to the rounds in the mag for hunting so you would not need a curved mag if you are limited to 5 or 10. There are also AR lowers that are modular and will accept AK mags.

Ever see a five round AK mag? It's curved. Why? Because the shape of the 7.62x39 cartridge dictates that it curve for proper feeding. You can't get that curve with an AR magwell.

I haven't actually seen one of the Rock River LAR-47 lowers in the wild yet. When did they start producing them?

There's also the issue of the quality of 7.62x39. Even brass-cased stuff is mediocre in terms of accuracy. 6.8SPC, 6.5 Grendel, .223 Rem, and .300BLK all offer much better accuracy and a better selection of hunting bullets.

If you want to shoot cheap you're going to be limited to a few calibers. And .308 isn't on that list. Unless you reload, and that opens up all the oddball AR offerings, which don't need a .308 platform. If you reload, and want something other than .223, the .300 blackout has a lot going for it with it's large supply of cheap brass.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
7.62x39 ARs are a no go. Poor reliability due to the shape of the round which dictates that mags should have a near-constant curve which the AR magwell does not allow.

6.8SPC is a good choice for deer hunting with an AR.

My friend had a problem for a long time with 30 round AR mags in 7.62 until he used C products mags. Also, depending on state regs you are limited to the rounds in the mag for hunting so you would not need a curved mag if you are limited to 5 or 10. There are also AR lowers that are modular and will accept AK mags.

Ever see a five round AK mag? It's curved. Why? Because the shape of the 7.62x39 cartridge dictates that it curve for proper feeding. You can't get that curve with an AR magwell.

I haven't actually seen one of the Rock River LAR-47 lowers in the wild yet. When did they start producing them?

There's also the issue of the quality of 7.62x39. Even brass-cased stuff is mediocre in terms of accuracy. 6.8SPC, 6.5 Grendel, .223 Rem, and .300BLK all offer much better accuracy and a better selection of hunting bullets.

I have seen 5 round 7.62x39 mags that are straight and feed correctly. And my friend has a CZ 527 in 7.62x39 and he gets perfectly acceptable groupings. And his mags for that are straight. And there are other options than the Rock River AR lowers. MGI ones have been on the market for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back