"Quiet & Smoth" For 2005 Nissan Frontier 4.0L V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've found out the hard way that regular M1 synthetic (5W30) makes my 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe enginer VERY noisey, espeically on start up. I plan to give Quaker State Uldimate Durability a try next, as well as M1HM 5W30 to see if it makes the motor run more "quiet and smooth".

My wife has a 2005 Nissan Frontier pick-up, 4.0L v6 auto at 170,000 km on the clock. It currently runs just perfect with dino Castrol GTX.

I do have a fair amount of Mobil 1 5W30 in stock that I need to use up, so I've heard from at least one Nissan owner on these forums that Nissan notors run nice and smooth on most oils.

Doeas anyone here have a 2005 Nissan Frontier 4.0L V6 auto that has any experience in a nice quiet synthetic oil for this vehicle? I "get" that the noise may not necessarily equate to engine wear, but I'm done with the noise. Quiet and smooth is what I'm looking for, but in a full synthetic.

I'm also intending to use Napa/WIX Gold filters on the Nissan, which is what I currently use.

We've got the same engine in a 2005 Nissan Xterra. After 83k miles and proper maintanence, this engine has purred like a kitten on any oil I've ever used in it and it's still going strong with 5k OCI's. Some of the oils I've used include Walmart ST, PYB, NAPA Syn, QS syn, currently Valvoline Max Life and a few others I've forgotten. Next up is some Kendall synthetic I recently got from a local distributor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I'd stick with the GTX. Excellent oil.

Thanks. So you're suggesting I just stick with the dino oil and not go synthetic?

My wife tends to agree with you if this is in fact your suggestion. as she says, "if it's not broke, don't fix it".

Originally Posted By: Verminator
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I'd stick with the GTX. Excellent oil.

Thanks. So you're suggesting I just stick with the dino oil and not go synthetic?

My wife tends to agree with you if this is in fact your suggestion. as she says, "if it's not broke, don't fix it".

Absolutely!!

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
My localized VG33E's and 1&3MZ-FE's have always had noise brought out in them by regular Mobil 1. EP and AFE are strangely not a problem.

What about the M1 HM varient? Is it "quieter" than the regular M1 as well?

My localized VG33E's and 1&3MZ-FE's have always had noise brought out in them by regular Mobil 1. EP and AFE are strangely not a problem.

Never used any HM oils in these. Never felt the need.
I may try Defy with all it's extra ZDDP/Boron/Moly due to the SL/SM spec, See how that sounds

You need to realize that XM sells millions of quarts of M1 5-30 every year. The vast majority of these buyers do not share your opinion that reg M1 5-30 causes their engines to be noisier than normal. For example, my daughter has, amoung here vehicles, a 2009 Infinity full size SUV with a V8. Here husband changes the oil between 10-15K and that engine stays very quite. M1 5-30 in the sump. My sons 2007 Ram truck 3.7 V6, very quite . M1 5-30 in the sump.

Last edited:
Hyundai recommends the factory OEM oil filter if you have a knock on startup. A lot of people, myself included, complain about loud valvetrains with Mobil 1 5W30.

I run my 2007 Frontier with the V-6 on Mobil 1 5W30 or 5W-30 EP. Very quiet on both, good gas mileage on the highway and the internals as far as I can see are clean "as a whistle."

Originally Posted By: tig1

You need to realize that XM sells millions of quarts of M1 5-30 every year. The vast majority of these buyers do not share your opinion that reg M1 5-30 causes their engines to be noisier than normal. For example, my daughter has, amoung here vehicles, a 2009 Infinity full size SUV with a V8. Here husband changes the oil between 10-15K and that engine stays very quite. M1 5-30 in the sump. My sons 2007 Ram truck 3.7 V6, very quite . M1 5-30 in the sump.

Oh I agree with you that it's good oil and that about a quarter of the population use it. I'm just saying that in my 2004 Santa Fe it DOES make the motor more noisey and from the amount of replies from others this happens in other motors too. In others it's fine as you've pointed out. So this is why I'm trying to find out if the M1 HM is not as noisey in the motors it is otherwise noisey in? I need to change from reg M1 in my Santa Fe to something more quiet, be it the M1 HM or a different brand all together. I do have a 2005 Nissan Frontier as well and it looks like the regular M1 may be okay in that motor, which is the reason for this thread.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
Hyundai recommends the factory OEM oil filter if you have a knock on startup. A lot of people, myself included, complain about loud valvetrains with Mobil 1 5W30.

Yes I am aware of the Hyundai TSB on using the genuine Hyundai oil filter and I am using it. It's not the oil filter, it's the Mobil 1 5W30. So as I can't stand the noise anymore on my 2004 Santa Fe, I'm hoping I can use it on my 2005 nissan Frontier without the same engine noise as I get on the Santa Fe

Originally Posted By: Boomer
I run my 2007 Frontier with the V-6 on Mobil 1 5W30 or 5W-30 EP. Very quiet on both, good gas mileage on the highway and the internals as far as I can see are clean "as a whistle."

And this is good news for me as I have a 2005 Frontier and a lot of Mobil 1 5W30 on the shelf. What filter do you use with mobile 1 5W50 on your Frontier? I'm currently using the Napa/wix Gold.

The best part of his suggestion is you're well aware that GTX is always on sale someplace up here.
wink.gif
My old LTD saw a lot of GTX 5w-30 bottles over the years, and the sales even back then helped.

As for the M1 HM notion, you won't find that unless you take a trip across the border.

Pennzoil yellow bottle or Platinum. The PYB has lots of moly and boron plus a hefty dose of calcium for cleaning. Wally World carries both in the 5qt jugs!

Try the Pennzoil yellow bottle or Pennzoil bronze bottle -- there's been quite a few comments about how quiet it is. Quaker State Ultimate Durability also gets quiet reviews.

Mine is quiet on anything I've ran through it. I do get a tiny bit of timing chain rattle at most start ups (do seem to be better with the Denso filters). I agree with Dino though. I was running Mobil Super 5000 and am now running PYB with Denso filters from rock auto. I really like this combo and am probably sticking with it (until something better comes along)
smile.gif

Same 3.5 in our Kia Sorento. PP, Ultra and Defy are the quiet oils that I have found. I don't use oem filters. Usually Purolator classic. Apparently not everyone has a keen ear for the additional valve train clatter than us discerning oil users hear from Mobil 1 syn. Drives me nutty, not that it is a long trip.

Originally Posted By: Kool1

Yes I am aware of the Hyundai TSB on using the genuine Hyundai oil filter and I am using it. It's not the oil filter, it's the Mobil 1 5W30. So as I can't stand the noise anymore on my 2004 Santa Fe, I'm hoping I can use it on my 2005 nissan Frontier without the same engine noise as I get on the Santa Fe

When I used M1 in the Uplander it literally cause the engine to tick, it sounded as if something was wrong with the engine. As soon as I changed the oil to QSUD the tick was gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back