Anybody got any ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK first, I've been lurking around here for a while and you guys are my kind of people. I really like poring over data so thanks for that LOL. This is my first post so this is what I got. It's a 1995 toyota tacoma 2.4 automatic 176,000 miles I owned it it's whole life. When I started it last it took a tick longer to catch but didn't think much of it. As I got on down the road a couple miles it seemed to have an occasional slight miss then quit like the key was turned off and hasn't run sense. It cranks over good but want start. My code reader says "no codes". I've always used this code reader to get me started in the ball park anyway. Does the no codes suggest something obvious I'm overlooking? Anyway thanks for looking and any input is appreciated.

You are going to have to check the first three then go from there. Do you have fuel?, do you have fire?, and do they occur at the right time?. It could be anything from a fuel pump, a jump in a worn timing chain sprocket, to a crankshaft position sensor.

Last edited:
Does your truck have a distributor ignition? It is very common for one to fail on an OBDI Toyota, and give no codes.

But you have to go through all the diagnostic steps before you can determine if the distributor is the problem. Get an OEM one, practically every rebuilt distributor lasted only 1 year.

Squirt some starter fluid in there and that will tell you whether its spark or fuel. I would guess its spark. I had a 1994 Camry 4 cyl that died at roughly the same mileage. The coil which was inside the dist. failed. I was told they fail between 150K and 200K. But your 1995 could certainly be different.

OK, this is how it went. Yesterday I put starter fluid into the throttle body inlet and

tried to start it, nothing. Today I removed the distributor cap, it looked fine. The rotor

was pretty eroded but not the worst I have seen. I removed the inside cover to access the

coil terminals, it had a little oil sheen on the lower inside of that, so cleaned that. The

coil checked within spec primary and secondary according to my Haynes book. I scrubbed the

tip of the rotor on the drive way and reassembled. Pulled the front plug wire and put a

plug in it. When the engine was turned it had a spark and almost started on three plugs.

Put the plug wire back on and tried it again. It started then died. It finally started on

third try and ran ruff a few seconds the idled as normal. Went to auto Zone and got a new

rotor and installed it. Guess I will drive it and see what happens. Thanks to all for your

input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back