Fraudulent Parking Ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe this, I was given a parking ticket even when my meter was plugged.

I went downtown for an hour appt, parked half a block away, plugged meter for 1H 2x min,
came back few minutes after my appt, it was 2pm 02 min or so, I found a ticket on my windshield.
What the...the meter still had 18 or 16 mins lets, I took photos of the meter with the ticket and my truck.

I can't believe it, do I challenge it? how do I challenge it, it will be my word against the officer. I can get the place where I went to give me a proof of what time showed up.

I called the city to ask if the meter has log, they said [censored] no.

Call the mayors office and tell them that you're an active VOTER. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Yeah right meter? Mechanical meter?

I've gotten them a minute or two after the expiration.

electronic meter, u r able to pay online or something,
I am surprised it does not keep a log.

I thought parking tickets were just another city tax?

How much will it cost you to fight it? Time money and effort.

The last parking ticket I received was $10. An interview went long and of course I had that waiting for me afterwards. At least I was offered the job.

Around here the meter maids pretty much ticket anyone with 10 or so minutes left. They figure if you let it run that low you won't be out to renew it.

And it's cheaper to pay a $35 parking ticket than to take a day off of work and contest it.

I bet the city doesn't even do anything to pursue those tickets until you have several unpaid ones.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
And it's cheaper to pay a $35 parking ticket than to take a day off of work and contest it.

Plus the other 50 or so characters in the court waiting room looking at you isn't the most fun either.
smile.gif

if you have the option to contest it by mail, please compose a well written letter and attach the photos with the time. sometimes the meter maids are over zealous. they base this on people just paying instead of wasting time....

i got out of 2 tickets in chicago:
-one, i was in a company's private parking, not on a city back alley = ticket thrown out
-two, i used their photos and a copy of my parking receipt to prove that somebody hit my car from behind and made the receipt fall on my floor = ticket thrown out

What does a picture prove? You could of put a coin in the expired meter and then taken the picture.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
What does a picture prove? You could of put a coin in the expired meter and then taken the picture.

how about when your receipt places your ticket time between start and expiration time?
meaning you were in compliance with the law???

Dishdude is right, BUT if you have a couple witnesses to verify your story you should get out of this one.

Unscrupulous ticket writers filling a quota...

Years ago we received a parking ticket from Wash DC for our son and it had a vehicle listed we have never owned plus he was in Iraq (Desert Storm) at the time.

I tried to call to straighten it out to no avail so I just tossed it aside. I was told I could request an audience with a judge for $150 and explain it to him which I declined. They told me the car would be towed if they ever caught it in DC (the car didn't exist and the tag had long since been turned in!) We received tickets for it for years and the last ticket I saw was $950....$10 for the parking fine and $940 in late penalties. I guess they finally lost track of us after several moves since I haven't heard anything or received another ticket since around 2000.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pandus13
if you have the option to contest it by mail, please compose a well written letter and attach the photos with the time. sometimes the meter maids are over zealous. they base this on people just paying instead of wasting time....

i got out of 2 tickets in chicago:
-one, i was in a company's private parking, not on a city back alley = ticket thrown out
-two, i used their photos and a copy of my parking receipt to prove that somebody hit my car from behind and made the receipt fall on my floor = ticket thrown out

I have had good luck with NYS thruway.

Last year I went through an EZ pass lane by mistake and got a ticket by mail. I wrote a letter when I got my ticket and it was dismissed.

I was in the wrong lane, but when I tried to get in the correct one, a black BMW going at least 80 nearly rear ended me. Barely got through the toll booth and out of its way.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

It will prove enough if they didn't take a picture to contest his picture that he did take. He has picture and is contesting, they don't, ticket thrown out because they have to prove beyond reasonable doubt.

Yes you have to go to court, but you need that stat against the [censored] meter maid for them to get fired.

No use getting all bent out of shape over a stupid parking ticket. Pay it and forget about it. I have more important things to do with my time - like sit on this website!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back