ST filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Knowing toyota, the size of the echo filter looks like it belongs on a garden tractor"

LOL...very true. It's slightly more than 1/2 the size of the wix 51334 for my wife's civic. I never considered the smaller size being a problem for higher mileage oci.

Although I'm a fan of "oversize" filters,
I really don't think the small filters are a problem IF one does their oil changes WITHIN factory intervals. It's just kind of a bigger is better mentality.

A little bit more oil capacity can't be a bad thing.
A little larger filter will have a SLIGHT oil cooler effect, which could be good in hot weather and maybe a detriment in cold weather.
A little more media can't be bad, but it probably really isn't needed on a "clean" engine".

On an old, sludged up engine, I think bigger is better without any qualms. There just isn't any excuse for a sludged up engine with todays motor oils and engine designs, barring neglect or the wrong kind of motor oil.

This is a great site and I've learned so much. My parents live in SW Virginia and I'll be driving down to see them so I thought I'd stop at their local Wallys and get some M1 (alot cheaper in the US than Canada, even with the exchange rate). Are Supertech filters a safe bet? I know they are cheap and apparently well made but would any of you recommend using them for an 8000 to 10000 km (5000-6000 mile) oci.

Pat

Daily drives:
2000 Civic 1.6
2000 Toyota Echo 1.5

Why dont you try doing this:

You are running M1 Correct? Well, change your oil based on the LONG TRIP or HIGHWAY maintanance intervals, its probablly around 6k-7.5k, this way, you know how long you can run that little oil filter by toyota's recommendations, and you also avoid wasting your m1 by chaning it so early.
cheers.gif

If you can find an OEM at a reasonable price, I would use it. Those smaller OEM filters simply have the media packed in closer. Otherwise, the ST gives more bang for the buck than most after market filters. No sense paying about twice as much for a filter about the the same or worse.

On the recommendation of this site, I used a PF-52 style SuperTech filter on my 4.3L Chevy.

Had a bad ADBV (took SuperTech off, replaced with the regular AcDelco I use, and startup noise went away).

I'd like to use them again (as I get my oil from Wally-World), but once you've been burnt by something, it's hard to go back...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back