opinions....changing out parts on '96 Mercruiser..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering....got a '96 Mercruiser 3.0LX that I bought used in 97. I've previously worked on Mercruisers in the 80's and familiar with them. Boat has seen nothing but freshwater, always stored in an enclosed garage after use and not in the water, normal fluid changes, plugs and greasing. Outdrive always stored in down position. However, I have NOT touched the impellor ever...still factory, along with the water pump belt and all the hoses. Boat did sit for about three years untouched when kids came....no time. Stored with water always drained. Boat may have averaged 30 hours a year, if that. Runs great, hits WOT no problem. Steering wheel does throb a little when turning sharp, sign of maybe gimbals. Never has overheated or got close to hot. Has the dreaded Mercruiser carb. that has a problem idleing, but I can massage it enough whereas it still works great, does have some dieseling after a hard run, but that's kind of normal....just got to remember to let it idle a little after a run then no problem. Does not burn oil. The exhaust manifold does show a little rust when you drain the water from it, rust collects in the cup style 1/4 inch drain nut, but not excessive. Do I take the plunge and replace the impellor/rebuild carb/potential gimbal replacement/maybe exhaust manifold? Or keep on keeping on. This is in Oklahoma....mild winters and low humidity. I'm probably looking at around 2K for all of that....gotten older and would have someone else do the work. thoughts ye boater brethren?????

well as long as its not making it more expensive waiting.
I'd say try to hold off for a few more years.

I'd do the belts, water pump & impeller-that can lead to expensive damage or being stranded if it fails. IMHO the rust in the exhaust manifold drains is normal-and you'll get water in the bilge if the bellows fail.

AHA!!!! Totally FORGOT about that fact!!!! thanks...those manifolds are running 400 plus....the belts....that's the ONLY thing I don't like about the 3.0, you have to take off one of the motor mounts to slip that puppy in there.

The normal maint is to pull the drive every other year and replace the impeller, grease the u-joints.

The drive bellows and shift bellows should be replace about every 6 years.

The carb only needs to be dealt with when its causing problems. I just got a quote of $175 to rebuild the carb on my Mercruiser.

The riser normally gets replace more often that the manifolds.

Risers last just about forever on fresh water. Your impeller is probably scary looking though, your going to want to replace that sooner rather than later...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back