Michelin Defender ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The XT can be found within the specification listing of the Defender tire model line at Michelin's web-site. From there, I was able to determine that the XT designation appears to be mainly just a tread design difference, the ramifications of which are mainly cosmetic. Here are a couple interesting footnotes from Michelin's website: "XT" sidewall marking = Defender XT tread design. Available at Wholesale Clubs."

There was also some discussion above of tread warranty vs speed ratings. This info should put that one to bed; also a footnote from Michelin's website: "90,000-mile limited treadlife warranty for H and T-rated tires; 80,000-mile limited treadlife warranty V-rated tires. See MichelinMan.com for warranty details."

And speaking of speed ratings. If someone could offer their opinion on this one, I'd really appreciate it. The Defender is available in T and H speed ratings. The H rated tire is actually $40-$50 more per tire. I rarely drive faster than about 70, and drive pretty conservatively, at that. Is there any advantage of spending the extra money on the H rated tires? Does the speed rating affect any of the tire's properties or features? Thanks for your opinions!

Dan Kap,
Whittier, CA

Originally Posted By: Dan_Kap
The XT can be found within the specification listing of the Defender tire model line at Michelin's web-site. From there, I was able to determine that the XT designation appears to be mainly just a tread design difference, the ramifications of which are mainly cosmetic. Here are a couple interesting footnotes from Michelin's website: "XT" sidewall marking = Defender XT tread design. Available at Wholesale Clubs."

There was also some discussion above of tread warranty vs speed ratings. This info should put that one to bed; also a footnote from Michelin's website: "90,000-mile limited treadlife warranty for H and T-rated tires; 80,000-mile limited treadlife warranty V-rated tires. See MichelinMan.com for warranty details."

And speaking of speed ratings. If someone could offer their opinion on this one, I'd really appreciate it. The Defender is available in T and H speed ratings. The H rated tire is actually $40-$50 more per tire. I rarely drive faster than about 70, and drive pretty conservatively, at that. Is there any advantage of spending the extra money on the H rated tires? Does the speed rating affect any of the tire's properties or features? Thanks for your opinions!

Dan Kap,
Whittier, CA

Good information....Speed ratings are for PERFORMANCE PARAMETERS and NOT JUST SPEED related...that is, the higher rated (H vs T) will perform better under extreme stress such as cornering and braking...
If a car is rated to run "H-tires" then dealers will for the most part install no slower rated tire...higher rated tires (V vs H) they will install, and you will notice the difference in traction capability, and that's why they wear faster...though 80k vs 90k is hardly significant, something I would attribute to advanced technology adding miles and cost to those "V" rated tires...

When I upsized from 15s to 17s, I went to "V-tires" up from OEM-spec'd H-rated tires and though more expensive H-tires would likely have improved ride/performance, the V's definitely improved the Kitacam's ride and performance...

Last edited:
There's been some discussion about speed ratings. I'd quote 'em, if I could remember the details... Suffice to say, it is about more than just speed. The sidewalls might be more stiff. IIRC tirerack.com has a quick article on it.

I'm not sure I'd go down a speed rating if you want the max tire life. If you plan to replace tires due to age rather than miles then perhaps it makes sense. But if you plan to run the rubber off 'em and you want to maintain OEM handling and ride I'd stick with the factory speed rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back