Allowed to pump my own gas in Oregon today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always stop for gas in Delaware (or sometimes at the last exit in MD) and fill up before going into NJ, just to make sure I don't have to buy gas in NJ. Fortunately, I can make it out of NJ before I need gas again.

Originally Posted By: Cardenio327
I have seen a small billboard with the law spelled out at a truck stop. It was near Eugene, Oregon. From what I remember it states that the person dispensing fuel must be paid a wage. So if you have a company car or drive a commercial truck it is legal to pump your own fuel because you are being paid to do so. Most stations draw the line between diesel and gasoline, assuming that gasoline is for private use and that diesel is for commercial use.

Well.... you would get a lot of arguments from truck drivers about how they are NOT getting paid to fuel the truck. They get paid by mile or percentage of the load and not on an hourly basis.

They left a pot of Coffee at my table this morning at Denny"s and I got to pour it myself.

OH YEA i saw a 18 year old GIRL pump 10 gal on the concrete cause she had a late 70s some thing with the fill in rear. and she didnt know how to do it. WELL that REALLY means some people shouldn' be allowed to have a car.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Makes one wonder if the average IQ is so low in OR & NJ that they don't trust the driver to pump their own fuel. :))

Again, that's not the reason. It's about creating jobs for losers that aren't qualified to do anything else. How do you think they buy that crack?

And no, I don't trust them to pump my fuel. I have to watch every time and make sure the diesel nozzle goes into my diesel truck. The guy at the station where I go already told me the story about how he's been "put on probation" more than once for putting gasoline into a diesel vehicle. Apparently those jerks that run the place automatically can you for six months when you do this. Why not forever, I wonder...

Im going to chalk this whole thing up as being another part of dumbing down of our society. When you cannot proficiently pump your own fuel without fear of a terrible travesty that is a sad day.

It is only dumbing down if it wasn't like that before.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Im going to chalk this whole thing up as being another part of dumbing down of our society. When you cannot proficiently pump your own fuel without fear of a terrible travesty that is a sad day.

My moms Wrangler spews gas out too. I believe its about an 18 gallon tank so I just estimate the math and go from there. Our boat does the same thing. Its terrible.

Never heard of not being able to pump your own gas though.
shocked.gif

yeah, so how do these New Jersey and Oregon people pump gas when they travel on summer vacations? There's probably people who never left the state and never done it!

I got gas once in NJ when I was going to Atlantic City. I totally forgot about that stupid NJ law. the gas attendant ran to my car while I was pumping gas and watched me like a hawk. With my TN license plate, he didn't say anything else.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Number21
Again, that's not the reason. It's about creating jobs for losers that aren't qualified to do anything else.

It must be quite a hardship having to suffer the existance of others who don't meet your standards.

Originally Posted By: SlipperyPete
Again, that's not the reason. It's about creating jobs for losers that aren't qualified to do anything else.

It must be quite a hardship having to suffer the existance of others who don't meet your standards.

We all have to start somewhere.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Kuato
Definitely a funky thing; sounds like OR is either easy going or the gas station guy didn't care. NJ is more like Nazis about it, I asked once and there are very hefty fines.

Really? Funny how Ive lived here all my life, and since I first started buying gasoline in the late 1990s, nobody has ever given me a hard time over doing it myself. Im usually dosing additives before filling, so I tell them this and they are OK with it. Ive never once been given a hard time because of it. And Ive bought a LOT more gas in NJ than you have.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Originally Posted By: ram_man
A law stating you cant pump your own fuel sounds incredibly inefficient.

It is efficient for the unions and the politicians that serve them. Atleast that is the case in NJ.

Again, what garbage. Unions for gas pumpers? How about some proof before you spew rhetoric that is false. I guarantee that if full service was done away with tomorrow, the prices would NOT drop one bit, as it would be "opportunity" to add profit to someone else's bottom line and pick my pocket.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/18812/why-cant-you-pump-your-own-gas-oregon-and-new-jersey

yeah ok. wink wink. Because the rest of us in the other 48 states have trouble pumping gas without starting fires? So really, just why are they there then? Since you came here to spew.

Last edited:
Realistically, I can't see self-serve providing any cheaper fuel, at list over the long term, if it were allowed in those states. When I was a kid, an uncle ran a full service Shell station. He had a grand total of one gas jockey/cashier on at most times, much like what would be working at a self-serve gas station.

Obviously, things are different if it were a very large gas station or one that had a very busy convenience store. We still have some full service stations here, but I tend to avoid them. I don't need them to top up my oil with something I don't want or to smear my windshield for me.
wink.gif

Self-service is indeed cheaper. It was common in the 1980s in Calif to have gas stations that had aisles for both self- and full-service. The full-service pumps were $0.10/gal more expensive, which amounted to 10% in those days.

Few people wanted to pay extra for full-service so gradually in the 1990s, gas stations eliminated full-service pumps.

If the OR law wasn't meant to protect jobs, then it should be written to give gas stations the option. They can provide full or self-service pumps and charge the same for them, if indeed there's no additional labor cost as people here suggest. But that won't happen because we know there is additional labor costs, as was shown by my Calif example.

The law is meant to provide low-value jobs in the name of "safety"

Originally Posted By: xfactor9
Self-service is indeed cheaper.

Just to clarify my post, when full service was more common here, full service often cost more. Now, they're the same. My point is, though, that if stations offer full service and then change to self service, there isn't going to be a significant savings to pass on. Our Co-op stations are all full service or a mix of full and self service. There is no difference in price. The last full service station here that charged a premium for their fuel was an Esso full service plus, where they would give your car a quick vacuum, and things like that, above and beyond normal full service things.

As for safety, it's quite clear that pumps and vehicles have changed significantly since the legislation in these states was written.

I would pay more to NOT have a stoned high school dropout pump my gas. That way, I don't have to worry about a missing cap, gas dribbled down the quarter panel, or getting a tank of 87 octane in a car that needs premium!

And no, I don't trust them to pump my fuel. I have to watch every time and make sure the diesel nozzle goes into my diesel truck. The guy at the station where I go already told me the story about how he's been "put on probation" more than once for putting gasoline into a diesel vehicle. Apparently those jerks that run the place automatically can you for six months when you do this. Why not forever, I wonder...

I *think* the law exempts full serve for diesel in OR and NJ. I remember reading that; perhaps it was NJ only. But I think diesel has an exemption on that. [When I bought my TDI most of us preferred to fill the tank to brim for max cruising range; so talking about how to fill up the tank was a popular topic.]

Originally Posted By: SlipperyPete

So are you trying to say that a large percentage of gas pump attendants in Oregon are not drug addicted, unqualified trash, who both don't care about their job, and don't know how to do it well in the first place? Yeah, sure, they aren't all like that, but a lot of them truly are.

The only reason for this law is to create jobs for people who just can't get a job otherwise. The reason they can't get any other job is most of them aren't qualified to flip burgers and can't pass a drug test. Many of them are so bad I don't feel secure giving them my credit card to pay for the fuel.

You don't appear to be from Oregon so you wouldn't know.

Originally Posted By: supton

I *think* the law exempts full serve for diesel in OR and NJ.

Yeah, diesel is exempt, but that only makes it worse, each individual station comes up with their own rule. Some pump it for you, some won't let you pump it, some don't care. Chevron, for example, won't pump my diesel even if I ask. I assume the reason for this is they don't like paying for it when their drugged up bottom dollar employees pump gas into a diesel vehicle. They are basically admitting they know their employees are lame. Other stations yell at you the same as gas if you try to pump it yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back