Long term with Pennzoil Dexos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a co worker who has been checking out this site after I mentioned it to him. He has an older ectoec based malibu that he drives. He lives close to work, (and takes lots of online classes), so he does not drive very much..I'd say he does maybe around 3k in 6 months or so, with most of it being city driving (a few miles of stop and go)

His plan is to use the Dexos blend 5w30 with a fram ultra for 6-8 months. I suggested QSUD for a few bucks more, but he says the 50% synthetic part is all he needs to protect his car. And with as good as PYB is, it's kinda hard to argue with that...

So, do you think he's got a handle on it? Or just bump it up to a syn for the short trips?

He asked me to throw it up for him, so here it is...

Notes-checked out the fill hole of his car, looks quite clean from the quickie lube GTX he gets normally. Good news is that he wants to change his own oil now.....car has about 80k on it now....

He's got a good handle on it all

But the price difference between PYB & Pennzoil Syn Dexos blend is negligible.
If your feeling ambitious, Step up to PP and go the full 1yr.

I always liked pyb but am not sure the 5w30 syn blend is the same with 50% synthetic... I have used qsud a few times because the price used to be $20.00 it is now a little more and i changed to super tech and like that a lot also. I buy a lot of oil for my shop and i have found that its all good

I'd spend $5 more and go with Pennzoil platinum and change once a year.

I don't drive but about 6-7k a year and I use full synthetic. The way he is going he has to change twice a year or so= about $40 in oil.....he'd save money by using platinum

Last edited:
Or run full syn super tech for the same price...either way anything will do fine for 3k miles. Pyb, syn blend or better

Sounds like a perfect match for the Dexos to me, but he is wasting money on an Ultra filter unless he's leaving it on for 3 or 4 OCI's. Any name brand entry level filter can easily handle mere 3k OCI's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back