Anyone own a mid-nineties Ford Ranger 4cylinder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I owned one and the guy I worked with did. Both good little trucks. I don't remember having to do much to mine other than run of the mill maintenance. I bought it used. We called it the bass boat. Someone had sprayed with a blue that had probably
30lbs of metal flake in it. It sure was shiny.
smile.gif

Good little truck.
The guy I worked with added oil to his when it needed it, I am not sure he did anything else and it wouldn't die. Parts are cheap and most of the repairs are day one stuff!

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Paco covered it pretty well.
smile.gif
My uncle has a 1999 Ranger...2.5/5-speed XL longbed, a former Car Quest delivery truck, totally stripped except for step bumper and A/C. It will run 65-70 with the A/C on without a problem.

Note: be careful, because A/C was NOT standard on base-model Rangers! (I have seen them as late as 2000 without it.)

IIRC, power steering and 4-wheel ABS was standard by 1998.

Service is no big deal, with one glaring exception: when the cab got a new interior (1997...?), the heater core went from a 45-minute job to a two-day swear-fest!

Oh yeah, forgot about the heater core. I have lucked out...I've had 3 with this dash and haven't had to do it yet, but not looking forward to it if it does go out. Probably the single worst repair to have to do on a 1995+ Ranger.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo

Lasts forever, so long as the cam synchro doesn't bite the dust.
The 3.0 is a great engine for a Taurus. It does nothing for a Ranger.
I got better gas mileage with my 4.0 then I presently do with my current 3.0.
The 4.0 also had more power and was more fun to drive.

I kind of feel that the 3.0 wasn't really necessary when the 4.0L OHV was offered since that 4.0 was about as reliable/economical, but I am glad it was offered alongside the SOHC. As discussed in another thread, the SOHC can be a good engine, but they definitely had some major design issues especially with the timing chains and t-stat housing that can be a real pain in the [censored] to deal with. The cam synchro is a glaring weakness in the 3.0, but is also an easy and cheap fix. I'd rather do that than a t-stat housing on a SOHC. I think I paid $80 or so for the last Motorcraft cam synchro I bought, and it's a 30 minute job. The hard part is dropping it in so it lines up right. I haven't tried the method of using the alignment tool with the engine at TDC, I just mark the intake.

As for killing a 3.0 by way of the cam synchro, I think in practice that's hard to do since total failure usually happens after a long period of hard to ignore warning signs. When my truck chewed up its first one, it made a ton of racket. Squealing and chirping that was obviously abnormal and obviously not the belt. With the second one there was no noise, but the truck was bucking and jerking bad when cold. Granted, I am familiar with these trucks and knew what was up right away both times, but still, it was pretty much impossible to ignore what was going on. I can't imagine how bad the symptoms must get for someone to run it to total failure. Even then, they would have to ignore the check gage light and the oil pressure gauge dropping to 0, and then they would have to ignore the engine noise. I'm sure some people are capable of doing that, but really, that's totally preventable with the slightest bit of common sense.

I do wish someone would come up with a new design for the synchro that would be a permanent fix, but I can live with it as a design fail. Other than that the engine is stupid reliable and can take a beating. Unlike my OHV 4.0, the Vulcan has no red line on the 6K RPM tach...maybe that's why it drinks so much gas.
grin.gif

a lot of good responses, appreciate it.

If i do get one i wouldn't be my first ranger.

the first vehicle i learned to drive in when i was teen was a 95 2wd auto with the 3.0 and that thing was far from gutless.

I've driven others and for some reason they never compared, it was quick had decent power and had no problem burning the tires, really miss that truck.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Paco covered it pretty well.
smile.gif
My uncle has a 1999 Ranger...2.5/5-speed XL longbed, a former Car Quest delivery truck, totally stripped except for step bumper and A/C. It will run 65-70 with the A/C on without a problem.

Note: be careful, because A/C was NOT standard on base-model Rangers! (I have seen them as late as 2000 without it.)

IIRC, power steering and 4-wheel ABS was standard by 1998.

Service is no big deal, with one glaring exception: when the cab got a new interior (1997...?), the heater core went from a 45-minute job to a two-day swear-fest!

Oh yeah, forgot about the heater core. I have lucked out...I've had 3 with this dash and haven't had to do it yet, but not looking forward to it if it does go out. Probably the single worst repair to have to do on a 1995+ Ranger.

My uncle's is starting to get a faint coolant smell...he figures on doing the core soon. He can do it, but he's REALLY hoping it can wait until it's warmer!

I kind of feel that the 3.0 wasn't really necessary when the 4.0L OHV was offered since that 4.0 was about as reliable/economical, but I am glad it was offered alongside the SOHC. As discussed in another thread, the SOHC can be a good engine, but they definitely had some major design issues especially with the timing chains and t-stat housing that can be a real pain in the [censored] to deal with. The cam synchro is a glaring weakness in the 3.0, but is also an easy and cheap fix. I'd rather do that than a t-stat housing on a SOHC. I think I paid $80 or so for the last Motorcraft cam synchro I bought, and it's a 30 minute job. The hard part is dropping it in so it lines up right. I haven't tried the method of using the alignment tool with the engine at TDC, I just mark the intake.

As for killing a 3.0 by way of the cam synchro, I think in practice that's hard to do since total failure usually happens after a long period of hard to ignore warning signs. When my truck chewed up its first one, it made a ton of racket. Squealing and chirping that was obviously abnormal and obviously not the belt. With the second one there was no noise, but the truck was bucking and jerking bad when cold. Granted, I am familiar with these trucks and knew what was up right away both times, but still, it was pretty much impossible to ignore what was going on. I can't imagine how bad the symptoms must get for someone to run it to total failure. Even then, they would have to ignore the check gage light and the oil pressure gauge dropping to 0, and then they would have to ignore the engine noise. I'm sure some people are capable of doing that, but really, that's totally preventable with the slightest bit of common sense.

I do wish someone would come up with a new design for the synchro that would be a permanent fix, but I can live with it as a design fail. Other than that the engine is stupid reliable and can take a beating. Unlike my OHV 4.0, the Vulcan has no red line on the 6K RPM tach...maybe that's why it drinks so much gas.
grin.gif

Is the cooling system a problem on the Vulcan Rangers? On the Tauruses they corrode the cooling system terribly.

I changed the coolant regularly on mine so it wasn't a problem.

The last few years of Jeep 4.0 engine had the same problem. The cam synchro (cam "stator") would fail to drive the oil pump.

I've had good luck with mine. Had to replace the rear leaf spring shackles due to rust a few years ago. I'd say I average 24-27 mpg. I don't drive it too much in the winter months.

Rust will probably kill it before the engine dies.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

grin.gif

Is the cooling system a problem on the Vulcan Rangers? On the Tauruses they corrode the cooling system terribly.

The last few years of Jeep 4.0 engine had the same problem. The cam synchro (cam "stator") would fail to drive the oil pump.

IMO, the issue of the cooling system on the Vulcan is merely the outcome of poor maintenance. My philosophy in purchasing a vehicle is to go with vehicles that have a track record, find the issues with them and compensate for those issues through enhanced maintenance that addresses those issues.

I drove a Vulcan Taurus over 275K. The original water pump had 250K on it when I replaced it. I replaced it as a maintenance item because it was torn down replacing the timing chain (also done as a maintenance item.) Prior to that, the only cooling system problem with the car was the replacement of a radiator at 54K. That replacement was not necessitated by poor design or maintenance, it was caused by an unfortunate meeting with a rogue deer on a Monday morning.

Do the maintenance, and there will probably be no issues.

Can't speak to the rest of the Ranger but the Lima 2.3/2.5 is one stout engine. My first car in High School was an 86 Mustang with the 2.3. Bought it in 1992 with 58k on it. At 100k it needed valve seals (probably due to previous owner neglect) and when I junked it in 2005 with 175k due to rust issues, the engine started up and ran like a top.

We're talking first car abuse:

• Learned it had no rev limiter - just floor it and it naturally stopped running at 6k.
  • Power shift - Check.
  • Rev to 3k and dump the clutch to attempt a burnout check.
  • 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 shifts at 6k - check
  • Climbing a hill was 2nd gear at WOT. All the way up. If you got to 6k, you shifted, if not, just keep the gas to the floor.
  • Blew a few downshifts where I think I got it well past 6k
  • Throttle had 2 positions, WOT and idle.

I did change the oil every 3k like clockwork.

All in all, it was gutless but a stout power plant. Other bits needed work (radiator, carb, many clutches, steering, etc) but the engine always started and idled smooth.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88

The Ranger version has a completely different cooling system and is basically trouble free, even without perfect maintenance. None of the cooling system components interchange...even the thermostat and water pump are different part numbers. The Taurus also uses a pressurized recovery tank, with the cap on it acting as the "radiator cap." The Ranger uses an unpressurized recovery tank with a conventional radiator cap.

I had a 1995 2.3 5 speed with the M5OD tranny. Supercab two tone red and tan. Greatest little truck ever. Bought in 98 with 24k miles, sold in 2013 with 270k. Only problems I ever had with it was the occasional locking up of the rear e-brake lines and a very small to the point I didn't care valve cover oil leak. Amazing truck from start to finish, still looked as great when sold as when purchased. I've got a lead foot so I was lucky to push 18-19mpg. I also used it to pull a 3200lb fully loaded Ranger boat, but it was difficult to get past 70mph.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back