Comcast Turns Customer Routers Into Open Hotspots

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Comcast-Turns-Chicago-Customer-Routers-Into-Open-Hotspots-128027

I'm just glad I have my own modem and router.
smile.gif

Glad I have my own too. Oh wait, TimeWarner and Comcast are becoming one, and might not allow users to select their own wireless router.

It's a great idea in theory, but only if they make it come from a seperate bandwith pool. Which if they are using their own modem/router should be feasible. You can QOS individual SSIDs. So if you say provision the modem for 22/3 instead of 20/2, you can QOS the xfinitywifi for 2/1 but the primary connection gets first come first serve. So your usage will always take priority so you wouldn't have to worry about it impacting customers internet performance. The modem can have two or more SSIDs, and you can always hook up your own router to the ISPs modem, regardless of what you think, you can always do this and they are not going to remove the function. Also they should definitely not be implementing data caps if they move forward with this.

I don't know exactly how comcast is implementing this, but I hope this is how they are going to do it. Or something similar.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Comcast-Turns-Chicago-Customer-Routers-Into-Open-Hotspots-128027

smile.gif

What's the downside?

Comcast customers potentially get free wi fi in more places.

Comcast potentially gets some additional revenue at virtually zero infrastructure cost - theoretically that should lower the costs for their subscribers.

There's ( probably ) little to no additional RF exposure to the subscriber since the wi fi is already running ( if you worry about that kind of thing - I do ).

We don't have Comcast here, but if it works, all of them will probably do it.

Compare to another router on the same band running comcast, probably not much.

However if you have your own router running one band away from any open band, you will see more throughput.

Regardless, if I could turn it off I would, to get the cable bandwidth as well as the wireless band less crowded.

Originally Posted By: Win

smile.gif

What's the downside?

Other than maybe extra load put on your router, probably not much. However, what are you as a customer getting from Comcast in return?

Access to high speed internet when you are at other places as you can log in to any other router with this enabled.

Think about it
$7 a month modem rental fee, Even more if you opt for there [censored] WiFi router. Over the term of the contract, That'll cost you $168 at the least.

For that, You can get a Motorola SB6141 and a superb Asus dual band
WiFi router, all for less then $160

Dump there outdated, poor quality hardware, And check all your Coax.

Save yourself some $$$, And have only the NSA to worry about

alot of businesses have these comcast routers around here. nice to be downtown and can use the wifi with my comcast internet account

Ive seen those xfinity SSIDs around in various places.

I wonder how it works - could you set your device to automatically connect and login?

If so, couldnt someone else make a fake router called xfinity or whatever, and then steal peoples' credentials? Not sure what it would get them, email accounts for spamming perhaps?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Ive seen those xfinity SSIDs around in various places.

I wonder how it works - could you set your device to automatically connect and login?

If so, couldnt someone else make a fake router called xfinity or whatever, and then steal peoples' credentials? Not sure what it would get them, email accounts for spamming perhaps?

When you connect to it, it directs you to a splash/intranet page where you must log in using your comcast ID credentials before it actually gives you internet access. I can't really think of a way you could do this yourself.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
I can't really think of a way you could do this yourself.

Why not? You can create a fake splash screen (captive portal) and ask for their comcast ID. How hard could it be for someone who knows what they're doing?

I wasnt aware of the splash screen, Id think that one could set their device to remember username and password to autofill, and then they would just move along with it.

Do you know how easy it would be for me to do this with any open wifi? It would be easy to go sit in a restaraunt that doesn't have wifi, set up a hotspot on my laptop, and spoof the network name? It's easy. Would I? Of course not, I can't think of a reason TO do it, not to mention it's illegal.

My point is this could easily be done today even before the comcast thing, and if you are that worried about it, just don't use public wifi.

I can't think of a reason TO do it,

The reason was given earlier - to steal people's Comcast IDs and passwords. However, I don't really know how that would benefit a potential thief. I can't think of much damage that you could do with that info.

I can't think of a reason TO do it,

The reason was given earlier - to steal people's Comcast IDs and passwords. However, I don't really know how that would benefit a potential thief. I can't think of much damage that you could do with that info.

Not really anything. Change their services? See what they DVR? That's about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back