The Tire Rack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Yikes.

confused2.gif

Tire Rack is a good source to research tire and wheel. Their price is a little high after shipping compares with other online sites.

I salute Mr Veldman.

He created a great internet business and resource. I was so impressed when I first found the site and use them whenever I need tires.

Originally Posted By: TrevorS
I salute Mr Veldman.

He created a great internet business and resource. I was so impressed when I first found the site and use them whenever I need tires.

Me too. Honestly Discount Tire was almost the same price, but they had to order them too, so, might as well go with Tire Rack and the ma and pa place which are pleased to change me out twice a year. They collect information so you just aren't flying blind and operating on over the back fence type conversations.

I dont understand the idea behind mail ordering tires.by the time you add in $75 shipping plus having them mounted and balanced locally you could have bought them locally at discount tire or pep boys for less.

I just bought a set of Cooper Discoverer A/T3s on my truck at a locally owned business. The total cost out the door was $86 more then if I had ordered off of DTD (free shipping) an ha the mounted, balanced, and installed myself. So there is money to be saved ordering by mail. I chose the local option because it is not a chain store (Firestone, Goodyear, etc), it's owned by a young husband and wife, and any problems could be handled within days face to face rather then by mail, phone, and email.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I don't understand the idea behind mail ordering tires. By the time you add in $75 shipping plus having them mounted and balanced locally you could have bought them locally at discount tire or pep boys for less.

I used to buy tire online and had it installed by Walmart, the total were always less than local stores.

If you are going to change tires in 6-8 months, after some research and found certain brand you like. If some online sites have a promotion(s) and manufacture has rebate on that model now, you buy it now to take advantage of promotion and rebate and install the tire later when you like.

I dont understand the idea behind mail ordering tires.by the time you add in $75 shipping plus having them mounted and balanced locally you could have bought them locally at discount tire or pep boys for less.

I mention this with the highest respect
smile.gif

By purchacing online, even with shipping, taxes, installation, I have saved between $120-$150 on every sets of 4 tires that I have ever purchaced online as compared to the same exact tire/size(apples/apples) from our local tire centers be it, SEARS, FIRESTONE, GOOD/YEAR or the local guy.

One of the key factors is having my local Walmart tire/service center, do the installation. Which some folks may not have that luxury.

Though, I am sure that there are folks in my area that have done as good localy as online. ATMOF, I helped a friend get 4 Firestone Destination LE/2's for his truck. We checked all of the online tire stores that I frequent and he did as good localy in terms of OTD price. Plus, received the road hazard warranty(RHW) which I don't typicaly purchace.

Again, with the particular tires(brand/sizes) that I have been buying, I get them at a better OTD prices(shipped, taxes, install) by purchacing online w/W*M install.

My local W*M charges...$16/tire. For this, you get:
Your new tires mounted, balanced, new valve stems, disguard your old tires(w/o NYS Disposal Fee), lifetime balance/rotation.

What you DO NOT get is:
Free Flat Repair or(of course), road hazard warranty(RHW).

But, for $120-$150, I can fix alot of flats and replace a tire now and again.

smile.gif

CB

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
......What you DO NOT get is:
Free Flat Repair or(of course), road hazard warranty(RHW).

But, for $120-$150, I can fix alot of flats and replace a tire now and again.

smile.gif

CB

What you also don't get is a buy-in from the mounting dealer that YOU are HIS customer. Not only can he screw up the mounting process, but he won't treat you as though you are worth the effort to try to satisfy.

Don't get me wrong. Not only am I a fan of Tire Rack, and not only am I sure that tire issues are fairly rare, but when it happens, it can be very frustrating to the consumer - ESPECIALLY if no one is stepping up as the responsible party. It's amazingly easy for tire dealers to dodge the responsibility aspect of things - but if they sold and serviced the tires, it becomes much, much more difficult.

Well every time i have compared mail order to buying locally the mail order was more expensive. Granted i buy 31 or larger truck tires which may cost more than a p185 to ship. The prices after adding in shipping was usually $30 or so more per tire.

Well every time i have compared mail order to buying locally the mail order was more expensive. Granted i buy 31 or larger truck tires which may cost more than a p185 to ship. The prices after adding in shipping was usually $30 or so more per tire.

Indeed!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer

What you also don't get is a buy-in from the mounting dealer that YOU are HIS customer. Not only can he screw up the mounting process, but he won't treat you as though you are worth the effort to try to satisfy.

Don't get me wrong. Not only am I a fan of Tire Rack, and not only am I sure that tire issues are fairly rare, but when it happens, it can be very frustrating to the consumer - ESPECIALLY if no one is stepping up as the responsible party. It's amazingly easy for tire dealers to dodge the responsibility aspect of things - but if they sold and serviced the tires, it becomes much, much more difficult.

Right. See this bead we tore when I put the oil change kid on the tire machine? Thats a manufacturer defect, probably. You're going to have to mail this tire back and let us know when you get the new one in so we can bill you again for installation and screw the whole process up again.

Oh, this bead tear? Oh no, that was an installation error. Not covered.

Oh, you wanted to be reimbursed for the tire we tore? Well I'd LIKE to help you, but we'd need district manager approval for that. He's usually in the store on Feb 2 around eleventeen AM and then again on October 37th all day. He doesn't have a phone and if you somehow managed to track him down will probably say he has to ask me, at which point I will be long gone.

I've bought tires and many other things online before and it has mostly worked out, but when there is a problem - everyone will point fingers at everyone else.

Last edited:
In my experience, Tire Rack never has the best online prices for tires.

I have ordered two sets of tires online from DTD. In both cases I stacked sales and rebates and saved big over the prices I could get locally.

I have never had any of the problems some people here are claiming. If you're worried about local installation, then choose one of the preferred installers that are often listed on the tire sale websites.

I've saved hundreds of dollars ordering online and I will do it again in the future if the savings are as large as they have been in the past.

You could get by that problem by buying from DTD and installing at Discount Tire.

On the other hand, DT price match so the advantage of buying online is saving tax and installing later when taking advantage of discounts / rebates when you want.

Right now DTD on EBay has some of the best deals around with $100 off $400+ spent and a few manufacturer rebates available.

Tire Rack made the market more competitive. If you want to go 100% local, go to DT and get a price match.

If you want to save tax and time the rebates, maybe get DTD to price match and install at DT later.

You could get by that problem by buying from DTD and installing at Discount Tire.

On the other hand, DT price match so the advantage of buying online is saving tax and installing later when taking advantage of discounts / rebates when you want.

If you want to save tax and time the rebates, maybe get DTD to price match and install at DT later.

Not all areas of the country have Discount Tire retail stores. We recently got some in the last few months. Looking online, their prices aren't as amazing as I was led to believe. Their installation is actually more expensive than other places in my area.

The next set of tires I buy I'll see if they'll do some serious price matching. If they can't or won't then they won't be very competitive for my business.

The last set of tires I bought a few years ago were 33" Nittos. They were bought from DTD, again free shipping across the board, and $175 less then where I could purchase at a dealer around here. I would not buy tires online from a place that charges shipping.

Btw, does Walmart install tires they don't sell? Their latest price menu suggests they don't.

In my area, they do at all tire/superstore locations. Our local W*M will install any tire you bring in and dispose of your old tires. But, I can't answer for all areas of the country.

Originally Posted By: 97f150

The last set of tires I bought a few years ago were 33" Nittos. They were bought from DTD, again free shipping across the board, and $175 less then where I could purchase at a dealer around here. I would not buy tires online from a place that charges shipping.

Yes, shipping costs can bring the cost of the OTD experience over the top. I have never paid more that a total of ~$50 for all 4 tires shipped to my zip. And, it's all bottom line to me...No, I would not buy online just to save a small amount compared to buying localy.

If I had to draw a line dollar wise, I guess that I would say that if buying localy was ~$20 more, I would buy localy. But for the > $100 difference on each order of 4 tires that I have experienced over the last 11 years of buying tires online, this is my prefered choice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back