What companies aluminize exhaust pipes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am working on a project that uses large exhaust pipes. Unfortunately the best already shaped pipe that I can find is made of plain steel, and I require the rust protection of aluminized. I do not want to use zinc plating because there is a good chance that these pipes will get hot enough to make the zinc boils off, and when it does humans can become sick from breathing in the zinc fumes. It looks like the best option would be to get the existing, already bent, pipes, and send them out to a company that aluminizes them.

So, does anyone out there know the name(s) of any company/(ies) that aluminize steel exhaust pipes. And if so where are they located.

Thanks in advance.

I have tried searching on the internet but keep getting leads that are related to some company trying to sell you exhaust pipes that are already aluminized.

I even called the company that makes the pipe I am using and asked them what companies they use to have pipes aluminized (other pipes, unfortunately not the pipe I require). The one company they told me about does powder coating, but nothing that I can use for my project.

http://www.amtrim.com/index.asp

not sure if they aluminize, but they do everything from heavy duty Truck Bumpers, to appliance control panels, to r&d in to making Fuel Cells smaller and cheaper.

have 8 facilities in 3 states and Mexico. with corp.offices and R&D center here in Lima, OH.

Hey Jim,
I have a customer here in Pittsburgh that galvanizes. (Hot Dip) I don't know if your application will get hot enough to melt that, but if you want I can send you the contact info.

Frank

So what's the use? Potato gun? Bong?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Milkman
Hey Jim,
I have a customer here in Pittsburgh that galvanizes. (Hot Dip) I don't know if your application will get hot enough to melt that, but if you want I can send you the contact info.

Frank

Neville galvanizing on Neville island galvanizes. But they do not aluminize.

Originally Posted By: GSCJR
Walker Exhaust used to aluminize selected pipes only. IIRC

Thanks, the original company that bent the pipes I am using is Hooker. I talked to them and they do not seam to be interested in supplying the pipes I am using in pipes that have been aluminized.

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
Don't a lot of companies use stainless steel for exhaust pipes? I know my Corvette has them from the factory. Why not use them?

Some of my brothers and I hope to develop this into a product to sell to the general public, and while the required pipes are available in stainless, the increase in cost to the end user could be the difference between having a product that sells, and one that just sits on the shelf.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
laugh.gif

I'll have to get back to you on that one after patent(s) are issued.

Eljefino, I appreciate the chuckle the Bong idea brought, I guess you are not too long out of college. It has been too many years ago for me to include memories like that in my every day thinking now days.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
laugh.gif

Eljefino, I appreciate the chuckle the Bong idea brought, I guess you are not too long out of college. It has been too many years ago for me to include memories like that in my every day thinking now days.

Just joshing regarding the top secrecy of the project.

Though it would be a terrible material to heat up and smoke out of, toxic all over.

laugh.gif

Just joshing regarding the top secrecy of the project.

Though it would be a terrible material to heat up and smoke out of, toxic all over.

Years ago when I was taking a summer class for metal machining that consisted of both adults and high-school kids, one of the kids was making a small pipe for smoking drugs. Though I am not into that stuff, I asked him if he thought to check that the brass he was making the pipe from was lead free, or contained lead. He was not even aware that some brass contains lead. And this was before there was the big push to use lead free brass for plumbing, so there was a good chance it did contain lead.

Last edited:
Use stainless steel, the large exhaust pipes on diesels are mostly stainless steel.

I have tried searching on the internet but keep getting leads that are related to some company trying to sell you exhaust pipes that are already aluminized.

I even called the company that makes the pipe I am using and asked them what companies they use to have pipes aluminized (other pipes, unfortunately not the pipe I require). The one company they told me about does powder coating, but nothing that I can use for my project.

in pa also where i live aluminized pipes "may" last 5 yrs in my experience, cheaper 409 grade stainless used my magnaflow + OE's gets ugly but not supposed to rust thru aka magnaflow lifetime warranty. 300 grades of stainless properties vary, borla"s grade 304 is forever. had 304 pipes and borla muffler on an 01 jetta over 10 yrs and almost 200,000 miles in a daily driver only change was discoloration. 304 stainless can be polished before heat cycling to look same as quality chrome, expensive but worth it in the long run. 304 is non magnetic, 409 is magnetic. used jet hot + HPC factory coated new parts with poor results 15 years ago, they may be better now hopefully. sure recoat is "free" but removal + shipping is not, i remove but shipping both ways prolly cost same as their recoat expense!!

Last edited:
So called aluminized pipes aren't really. The process is to apply the aluminum coating to sheet steel, then it is cut and rolled into a tube and seam welded. The actual exhaust pipes are then cut and bent from stock pipe. I can't speak for other makes, but all my mopars have stainless exhaust pipes. Whenever I scrap one I save the pipes. They outlast the cars.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back