sr9c or sr40c?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I'm buying one of these two guns soon. I currently shoot a cheap Jimenez 9mm, which has actually been a great gun. A ruger SR series gun is the one I've always wanted. I can't decide between the 9c or the 40c. Both are the exact same price at a local shop. What are your thoughts? I do conceal carry as well as enjoy target practice. Both guns are relatively cheap to shoot as my Wal-Mart carries both calibers. Anyone own these?

I've only shot a 40 myself once, and I didn't care for the snap. It might have been in a compact, not a full size, which of course will have more snap. But I didn't like it. Any chance of try before buy?

I have fired both. The 9 feels solid and accurate; the .40 with heavier recoil felt less accurate and took longer to bring back on target after firing.

I'm a big proponent of Ruger guns in general, but the SR9c in particular. Easy to shoot, well made, concealable for carry, and easier availability of assorted types of ammo. Good luck.

SR9 or SR40?

Yes. To either...well made, reasonable price.

I would rent them both, if possible. I don't find the extra oomph of the .40 objectionable, but some do. Only you can know if you do. I carry a .40, but I own several 9s. Recent 9mm SD/LE rounds are very effective, so you're not buying a lesser gun, you're getting what suits you.

And that's what is most important.

I would confidently go with 9 mm. The recoil is easier to manage, ammunition is cheaper, and ballisticly there is virtually no difference in performance.

Cheaper ammo = more practice.
More practice = better control.
Better control = higher success rate.

If you plan to shoot/practice a lot, go with the 9mm.

If you're stocking up for the zombie apocalypse, or if you're at high risk of being attacked by a burly thug on PCP, go with the .40
wink.gif

I personally like the .40 S&W cartridge better, and if ammunition cost and availability were equivalent between the two, that would be the way to go. However, given current costs and supplies, 9mm is a much better choice. Three years from now things might be different, who knows.

This coming from someone who does not currently own a 9mm. I now regret selling my last two.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I plan to pick up an SR9C this weekend. Local shop has them for $429 cash, which I feel is a fair deal. I'm going to check out the tri-state gun show this weekend to before I bite the bullet. I'm going to buy one, but I want it brand new, so it's likely I'll go with the shop that's close to my house as the gentleman has a great reputation for customer service.

SR9C all the way !!
I don't want to start a caliber war - but many law agencies are ditching the .40 cal left & right . Reasons why ?

* Ammo availability and cost (various political reasons why).
* .40 cal is a high pressure round - it's harder on moving parts and creates greater pistol wear & tear.
* 9mm has less recoil , faster to get back on target for follow up shots which equals greater number of center mass hits.
* For defense rounds - virtually no difference now versus .40 cal - 9mm Speer Gold Dot 124gr. +P or Federal HST 124gr. +P are great performers .

Lastly , go to any gun store and ask them which caliber pistol do the see more Police trade ins for ? You will find .40 cal trade ins run about 3-1 over 9mm . Yes , there are more .40 cal pistols issued to Police - but no denying the wear & tear factor that .40 cal has on a pistol , as well as , the switch to 9mm for the reasons stated above .

Oh, Chris, I think you started the caliber war anyway!

lol.gif

I am a .40 fan...actually, I am a 10mm fan, but that's another story...and the .40 S&W 180gr JHP LE rounds that I carry are more effective, round for round, than the 9mm124 gr JHP rounds available. The 10mm full power 180gr JHP are better still.

But this is the key point: a hit with a .22 beats a miss with a .44. Put another way: the caliber that YOU are comfortable and proficient shooting is the BEST choice for you.

I was trying to say that above and I think the 9mm SR is a great pistol and a great choice for the OP. I think you're saying that too.

But I don't think it's fair to say that the 9mm is a better choice for everyone. I've put tens of thousands of .40 S&W rounds through my H&K USP compact. I am very comfortable shooting it and can draw and put 3 rounds through center mass (5 ring) every time in under 2 seconds. In a compact pistol, give me the .40. But I would NOT recommend it in every case for every shooter.

A shooter has to be comfortable with the weapon, able to shoot it effectively (accurately and rapidly), and able to afford practicing with it to maintain that effectiveness. So, using that standard, both you and the OP have chosen wisely.

Last edited:
Even at the height of the panic buying/hoarding episodes (both of them), .40 was not all that difficult to find, at least around here. It seemed to stay on the shelves longer. That's a slight plus for .40, I think.

Personally, in semi auto rounds, I can't tell much recoil difference between .380, 9, 40, and 45. They all feel about the same to me. 10mm has a bit more impulse than the other semi auto's, at least in a plastic gun like the Glock - that's the only 10 that I own.

It's a shame 10mm has never really caught on.

Astro14 : Good Points ! I stand to be corrected ...I think we can both agree on this though: It would sure be nice to see store shelves full once more of .22LR , .380 , 9mm , .40S&W , .45ACP and 10mm so more people could could compare , test , shoot and enjoy the shooting sports !!

Thanks Chris.

Don't know how it is in GA, but things here are returning to normal. Hard to find .22, but my LGS has everything else in stock and at a reasonable price. I bought a box of Lake City .223 last week, $219 for 500 rounds and picked up .308 and 8mm Mauser for similarly reasonable prices. 9mm and .40 practice rounds and LE/SD rounds are well stocked and reasonably priced. They even had a selection of 10mm....

Time to stock up!

Cheers,
Astro

Depends on how you rank things which would be "better". If concealment were paramount, the 9 wins. If more muzzle energy and a bigger hole is important, obviously the .40 I have both. I carry the 9 in the summer and the .40 in winter for the additional penetration through clothing layers. The 9 is easier to conceal, but is very easy to shoot and stay on target. The .40 is fractionally bigger, but I feel harder to shoot well because the .40 launches heavier bullets at near 9mm velocity. If limited to one, I'd take the .40 and just remember to always use a "very firm" grip. Both a good guns, easy to strip down and clean.

Astro14 and Win: Good to see other 10mm owners/fans on here! I'm fairly new to the cartridge, having only owned my G20 since last year; handloading sure makes it more palatable cost-wise. I suppose I'm a bit of an odd ball, though - I didn't buy it just because it was 'more powerful'... I bought it because a) I was intrigued by the cartridge and I wanted to learn to handload it, and b) the G20 is a flexible platform - which can cheaply be converted to .40, .357sig, and 9x25.

I've somewhat abandoned the 'bigger is always better' mantra. It is more important to use the system you are most proficient with; comfortability and stopping power are both secondary. Since the less expensive 9mm will allow for more practice, that should lend itself to more proficiency.

I really need to buy a 9mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back