Wix or Baldwin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which filter would you choose for a GM 5.3L? I've been using the Wix 51522 but can get the Baldwin for a little less. Opinions and facts wanted.

[ October 27, 2004, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: sbc350gearhead ]

From my research on here and knowledge, Badwin seems to be more of a beefy filter than Wix is, I maybe wrong but this is what I have learned. I'm running a baldwin air filter in my Ranger right now, seems to be performing well. But just popping the air filter box and looking at the filter can be decieving. Only a UOA can tell the truth.

This maybe a wrong obversation but, Baldwin filters seem to weigh more than Wix, which concludes me that there better built. Like I said this is only an observation. This link might be of some help to you,,,,,,,AR

http://www.baldwinfilters.com/lit/start.html

The Baldwin is a very nice filter. Some complain about the ADBV not being silicone. However, more praise the filter, for above average flow and filtering, AND...the fact it's built like an Abrams battle tank
cheers.gif
!!! The price is moderate ($6), making it a "sleeper." K&N and Mobil 1 filters are hitting $12
shocked.gif
in some markets. The Baldwin is a fine choice.

Baldwin and Wix are definately two of the best filter brands out there. Either would be a good choice. You may want to look up the spec's for your specific application on their websites, as well as hold the two side-by-side. This 'may' be an indicator of greater filtering area. Otherwise, if you can get one a bit cheaper than the other, but it and rest easy.

cheers.gif

I'd go withever one is easier to get, they seem to match up prety evenly, but the Wix is cheaper and has a silicone ADBV.

I prefer a cheaper better flowing filter, are you looking for extended drains?

-T

Anyone in the North Central Illinois area can stop by Walker-Shork in Rochelle and pick up Baldwin at a very good price. They buy direct from the factory and I picked up 4 different filters to try out. None of them reached $4, I think they were about $3.50 average.

A satisfied Baldwin user jumpin' in here on this one... Really a solid performer as oil filters go. ditto built real solid. Flow and filtration pretty darn good...slightly above average on both as filter study showed. If you look around on a couple of websites, along with the baldwin website and search for local distributors ...you'll end up finding your filter for somewhere between $3 to under $5 per filter. I purchased my B-2's on internet for just over $4 and my Dad purchased his B-2 filter at local hometown farm implement store that was Baldwin distributor to local farmers for approx $3.60. Plus you get something real special when you buy a Baldwin... a really bright red cool looking filter
fruit.gif
that's what I call a sharp looking filter .. of course if that's something you consider when purchasing your oil filter
cool.gif
Seriously, either will do just fine... but I'd personally vouch for the Baldwin!

Wix and Baldwin are my two favorite brands. I would give Baldwin the edge as the built like a tank choice.

Argh, I like 'em built tough, argh ....

John

WIX/NAPA-Gold/Carquest and Baldwin/Hastings filters are excellent construction and average filtration. Either is recommended.

Ken

According to the filter study, the Baldwin flowed better than the Wix and had better filtration. That's not to say that the Wix is not a good filter. The only thing the Wix has over the Baldwin is a silicone ADBV. I just last week spoke to a Wix engineer. According to him, Wix has never had a problem with nitrile ADBVs and went to the silcone ADBVs in demand of the market. It a false perception. I choose a filter that flows better, filters better, and is constructer stronger. According to Wix, who has the silicone ADBV, the silicone ADBV is not necessary. BTW, I can buy the Baldwins cheaper than the Wix as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back