Ford Dealer Oil Changes in other brand cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know some people who have newer Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge vehicles and they prefer to have the local Ford dealer change their oil. The Ford dealer uses Motorcraft oil and filters unless they don't have the filter they need. Then they'll use a Napa Gold/Wix.

Anyhow...if a person has a Chrysler vehicle under warranty...can the warranty be denied by doing this? I suppose it would depend if Motorcraft oil meets MS-6395 spec for Mopar. But I can't find any proof it does. If Ford gets a Chrysler trade in...they'll service it with Motorcraft fluids. Or like the local police department; they bought Chargers from the State bid process at some far away, bid winning dealer, and still have them serviced by their friendly local Ford dealer who they've bought Crown Vics from in the past...and trust.

Just curious how far this would go if there was a problem and Chrysler wanted to deny warranty.

Last edited:
Here the chain shops like mr.lube,great Canadian oil change etc are accredited and new car warranty approved to change oil and the oem's warranty is unaffected.
I assume it's the same from different dealers as well. As long as the receipt states what oil was used and volume I can't see there being an issue.
Unless the oil doesn't meet the oem spec of course,then I'm sure there will be trouble.

First off the chances of an oil related warranty issue would be really small if the owner is actually maintaining the vehicle. Second, making the case that they used the "wrong oil" would even be slimmer.

I know a GM dealer who does that same thing. But they know what they are doing and will simply only use Pennzoil Platinum on any non GM vehicle they service. They will also send out to AAP for any specific parts needed.

^ +1. Motorcraft is a quality oil, and is very difficult to create oil-related failures. Rather, other problems, such as the famous 2.7L Chrysler LH Sludge Monster would be much more probable for damage to the vehicle.

My family has serviced all of our cars exclusively at the local Ford dealership, including a Chrysler Town and Country. That mini-van ran to 275,000 miles, and still held its oil at the end (which was exclusively Motorcraft). Anecdotal, I know, but I would service your Chrysler at the dealership and not worry.

I received a free oil change certificate from the local Ford dealer at Christmas so I let him change the oil in my Camry.

On his second attempt, he called me and I had to coach him through the process.

I was fine with the Motorcraft 5W-20.

The skilled Ford technician working on the high tech Camry was another matter.

You had to coach a skilled Ford tech on an oil change?

If that was the case, I think the kid who drives the parts truck was changing your oil.

I've had several Camry's in the family. One of the easiest cars to change oil on, so if the dealer tech had a problem with it, even if he deals mostly in Fords, I would not think much of the service department.

I've taken my Matrix to the Ford dealer for oil changes. No apt needed, $20 coupon, verified they use MC oil and filter, can watch them, get same tech when I pull in lane 2, I go early in the am. Check their work afterwards and always checks out fine. Sometimes they do a maintenance report and never a hard press to upsell. Hey, you may want to get some new tires on there, which I already knew at the time. Laid back guys.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
I received a free oil change certificate from the local Ford dealer at Christmas so I let him change the oil in my Camry.

On his second attempt, he called me and I had to coach him through the process.

I was fine with the Motorcraft 5W-20.

The skilled Ford technician working on the high tech Camry was another matter.

"high tech Camry" - haha - funny stuff.

Originally Posted By: CHARLIEBRONSON21
Warranty wise:

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0138-auto-warranties-routine-maintenance

As long as they know what they are doing, I'd say go for it.
Does not apply if the product used does not meet the manufacturer's spec, Chrysler MS-6395 in this case. Dodge branded oil does not have to be used, but the spec must be met. As noted above, it is unlikely that there will be a problem so unlikely that the question will arise. If an engine part did break, using an oil, even a very good oil, that has not been certified is a way for the manufacturer to weasel out of the warranty claim.

I ask specifically because of the oil used. We all know Motorcraft blended oils are more than adequate for any vehicle calling for that viscosity and API. But the out for Chrysler (or anybody for that matter) was that such oil wasn't "approved" for MS-9999 or Dexos 5000 or whatever.

In the case of a rare part breakage due to a flaw in metal or such...Chrysler could say the camshaft broke in half (even in a non supported location) and the right oil wasn't being used. We all know the oil didn't cause this. But unless you take them to court, have expert witnesses, etc etc and spend more than the car is worth (and actually win the argument)...you'll be denied.

Yet I bet thousands of people get oil changes by which ever dealer has the shortest line at lunch time. But never have any major issues with engine failure. They drive down the road thinking they have warranty for 5/100.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: neilLB7
In the case of a rare part breakage due to a flaw in metal or such...Chrysler could say the camshaft broke in half (even in a non supported location) and the right oil wasn't being used. We all know the oil didn't cause this. But unless you take them to court, have expert witnesses, etc etc and spend more than the car is worth (and actually win the argument)...you'll be denied.

False. Research a bit then you will find how it is false if the owner has maintenance logs and receipts for PCMO's and labor especially one that meets warranty requirements which for Chrysler vehicles is API SN/ISLAC GF-5. The MS spec is a recommendation. If what you stated was true Mobil One users would be up the creek without a paddle but Mobil Super users would be fine.

Ok ok. I'm not making any statements as declared absolute fact. I have researched a bit. And I've found information pointing to both sides of the question. My 2012 Jeep owners manual says "Use API Certified SAE 5W-20 Engine Oil, meeting the requirements of Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395". Doesn't say "we recommend". Says "meeting the requirements". But this isn't for my vehicle anyway...but it would fall into this were I to take it to a Ford dealer.

Funny how Mobil 1 used to be factory fill in Vipers and other hot Mopars. Guess that's what a bankruptcy will do to a relationship.

Originally Posted By: neilLB7
Ok ok. I'm not making any statements as declared absolute fact. I have researched a bit. And I've found information pointing to both sides of the question. My 2012 Jeep owners manual says "Use API Certified SAE 5W-20 Engine Oil, meeting the requirements of Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395". Doesn't say "we recommend". Says "meeting the requirements". But this isn't for my vehicle anyway...but it would fall into this were I to take it to a Ford dealer.

Funny how Mobil 1 used to be factory fill in Vipers and other hot Mopars. Guess that's what a bankruptcy will do to a relationship.

IMHO it was the pre-existing relationship with SOPUS that FIAT brought to the acquisition that caused the sudden severance of ties with Mobil. A situation I have the feeling that Mobil wasn't all that happy about.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
IMHO it was the pre-existing relationship with SOPUS that FIAT brought to the acquisition that caused the sudden severance of ties with Mobil. A situation I have the feeling that Mobil wasn't all that happy about.

Mobil should concentrate on becoming the factory fill for Tata Motors. After all, if they do want to be the factory fill for Chrysler again, they just have to have a pre-existing relationship with the next buyer.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back