Beer with unnatural ingredients

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: yeti
overkill -- if an antihistamine worked to keep you off the toilet, then your issue is allergy.either you developed a slight allergy to some chemical in the beer, or a new chemical has been introduced to which you have a slight allergy.
Costco sells a couple of pure antihistamines that are very cheap.

Yeah, but what am I allergic to? It isn't wheat, I can down Paulaner wheat beer and be just hunky-dory.
21.gif

I simply decided to avoid the beers that I know cause it. Means I have to be less adventurous than before, but oh well.

I would guess your problem is Corn Syrup.
Interesting story:
http://allaboutbeer.com/article/the-spy-who-saved-the-reinheitsgebot/

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
I wonder where AB's cheapo Natural brand falls in this. The labels claim "all-natural ingredients." The ingredients list consists of water, barley malt, cereal grains, hops, and yeast. The only suspect ingredient I see is "cereal grains," which I suppose could be GMO. Would be interesting if a cheap beer is truly "all-natural."

I remember reading a while back about foods with labels saying all natural. It doesn't mean it has no chemicals in it or that it's organic. They can pretty much call any type of food all natural. The same must apply to beer.

The Busch beer that I've been cheaply enjoying, 13.97 here for a 30 pack, says "Brewed from water, barley malt, cereal grains, hops and yeast. There is nothing artificial in this product". Is there really nothing artificial in your product, Busch?

They probably don't consider GMO's artificial... I doubt we could get them to disclose the full ingredient list of any of their beers. I have even less faith in it since Inbev took over. If Budweiser has GMO corn and GMO rice, Busch must have it too. Is there anything else in there?

If they spray GMO crops with roundup, that alone is pretty bad. Some of it has to be absorbed and retained through the brewing process.

Miller High Life always seemed like a decent cheap beer to me, but they do some weird chemical treatment to it... tetrahops? so they can put it in a clear bottle without it developing a skunky flavor. Even when I read about it on their website I didn't think of it as being bad, until that was also mentioned in the links I posted, plus they admit to using GMO's.

I guess it all comes down to the question of how harmful GMO rice, corn, corn syrup and dextrose in beer really are. How many carcinogens make it through from the crop's roundup spraying alone? Why are GMO's banned in other countries if it isn't harmful?

Yeah, but what am I allergic to? It isn't wheat, I can down Paulaner wheat beer and be just hunky-dory.
21.gif

I'm not about to embark upon that uncomfortable journey of acupuncture to potentially get an answer about what I'm allergic to when I can just avoid it
wink.gif

I thought from the first post above you wanted to know!

And it's not that bad. You get a nice young nurse inflicting minor pain on you while you are powerless to resist.

Originally Posted By: expat

He says Coors Light is ok for him in that thread though. Coors is listed as using high fructose corn syrup...

OVERKILL, What is your current list of beers that don't go with you?
By the way, I wish I had a list of beers that kept me on the toilet all day. I suffer from chronic constipation that even laxatives don't do much for. Too much information? I know haha.

Originally Posted By: TrevorS
21.gif

I'm not about to embark upon that uncomfortable journey of acupuncture to potentially get an answer about what I'm allergic to when I can just avoid it
wink.gif

And it's not that bad. You get a nice young nurse inflicting minor pain on you while you are powerless to resist.

OVERKILL, I have to agree with TrevorS. It's just the stuff you might be allergic to put on a paddle of plastic spikes. It's painless when they put it on your back and might just itch some during the testing process. I had near to one hundred different tests applied to my back. A mosquito bite is more annoying than the allergy testing process - for me at least.

When I was a youngster I had two panels of needles pressed into my back with various substances on them.

Within 15 minutes I was in the hospital getting breathing treatments. As I grew older almost all my allergies left me naturally.

It's very personal, for MOST it is not traumatic at all but it can be very interesting for the few 'special' folks among us...

Originally Posted By: TrevorS
21.gif

wink.gif

Sure, I'd LIKE to know. But I'm not about to go through "let's have fun with needles" in search of producing a reaction just to find out, LOL! I would like to know. But not THAT badly
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
When I was a youngster I had two panels of needles pressed into my back with various substances on them.

Within 15 minutes I was in the hospital getting breathing treatments. As I grew older almost all my allergies left me naturally.

It's very personal, for MOST it is not traumatic at all but it can be very interesting for the few 'special' folks among us...

Yeah, my sister got crazy hives during her testing that were incredibly uncomfortable.

Originally Posted By: Digital2k2

He says Coors Light is ok for him in that thread though. Coors is listed as using high fructose corn syrup...

By the way, I wish I had a list of beers that kept me on the toilet all day. I suffer from chronic constipation that even laxatives don't do much for. Too much information? I know haha.

- American BECK's (German version is fine)
- Heineken
- Upper Canada
- Keiths
- Moosehead
- Corona
- Lancaster Bomber (many of the British beers are hit and miss, I didn't bother to track all the names)

Those are the ones that come to mind at the moment. There are others.

- Heineken
- Upper Canada
- Keiths
- Moosehead
- Corona
- Lancaster Bomber (many of the British beers are hit and miss, I didn't bother to track all the names)

I can't imagine Coors Light has enough of anything in it to upset anybody
wink.gif

I still say Corn Syrup.

Last edited:

- Heineken
- Upper Canada
- Keiths
- Moosehead
- Corona

Odd that Heineken is also one of them. They're supposed to be one of the few mass produced without anything artificial in there. Have you tried contacting manufacturers of those beers and asking for the ingredients? I would really like to know what's different about the American Becks. Makes me think it has to be something unnatural due to the German purity law.

So far I've tried Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA, and both of them have really amazed me. The citrus flavors of their whole cone hops is just crazy. Their Pale Ale makes me feel like I'm chewing on a pine tree hah.

Also gave Heineken a try for the first time in over a decade, but it was a 22oz bottle sitting out on the shelf. Either it got skunked from the light getting through the green bottle, or maybe that's just the way the beer tastes.

Odd that Heineken is also one of them. They're supposed to be one of the few mass produced without anything artificial in there.

"Beck’s, St. Pauli Girl, and Heineken were brewed with adjuncts (cereal grains other than barley malt). These were illegal to be sold in West Germany at that time. Heineken, of course, has never claimed Reinheitsgebot purity"

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Originally Posted By: organics.org
The Newcastle beer has been found to contain caramel coloring. Class 3 and 4 caramel coloring is made from ammonia, which is classified as a carcinogen. “The one and only” beer with cancer causing qualities.

The ammonia is the carcinogen, or the caramel ?

Humans make ammonia during metabolism, and cooking anything with sugar makes caramel (brown onion gravy/soup, baked vegetable, french fries)

Interesting bit,
I toured the Yuengling Beer Factory down in Tampa, FL on leave in June.
The things you learn, the ingredients you see, the mouth that waters.
According to the workers, to keep a consistent taste of Pennsylvania and Florida brews, they have to soften the water used in Florida, while hardening it in Pennsylvania.
They use natural ingredients, sugar, etc, though anything on earth can be considered "Natural" anymore doesn't constitute it being "organic"
At the end of the tour, there's a beer sampling area, you can try a few ales that yuengling makes and only sells in the NE, and not in the SE.
You can also try both the Tampa made brews and the Penn made brews, and compare them (which quality controls, they actually taste the same)
Their reasoning on not expanding quickly and taking their time was simple, they don't want the taste to vary, and they don't want to rush and cut corners.
The nice thing was? Showing my ID to the tour guide. She saw I was military, while most got only 3 samples, I stumbled out of there semi buzzed to go to the Tampa Bay Rays game later that night.

Oh and Lord Chesterfield, needs to come to Florida. Because that was amazing.

Another note, yuengling needs to come to Texas, where I am stationed, because Shiner Bock doesn't cut it.

Another note, the Tampa Yuengling brewery was formerly the schlitz factory, when Yuengling purchased it, they were closed for renovations so the workers couldn't work, thinking since yuengling bought the factory, they would be laid off, negative, they were all invited back to work, compensated for the time off for renovations, and a double pay increase.

Most of the beers listed are hard to find:

"GMO Free Beers:

Organic Beers (Unpasteurized & Unfiltered)

Wolaver’s – all beers
Lamar Street – Whole Foods label (brewed by Goose Island)
Bison – all beers
Dogfish Head (organic when ingredients available)
Fish Brewery Company – Fish Tale Ales
Lakefront Brewery – Organic ESB
Brooklyn – (organic when ingredients are available)
Pinkus – all beers
Samuel Smiths – Samuel Smiths Organic Ale
Wychwood – Scarecrow Ale

Non-Organic Beers (Unpasteurized & Unfiltered)

Sierra Nevada – all choices
Duck Rabbit – Brown Ale, Porter, Amber Ale, Milk Stout
Dogfish Head- 60 Minute IPA, Shelter Pale Ale, Chicory Stout
Shipyard – Summer Brew
Victory Brewery – Whirlwind
North Coast – Blue Star
Bridgeport – IPA (Bottle conditioned)
Ayinger – all choices
Royal Oak – Pale Ale
Fraziskaner – Hefeweisse and Dunkel Weisse
Weihenstephaner – Hefe Weissbier
Maisel’s – Weisse
Hoegaarden – Belgian Wit

Other

Heineken
Steamwhistle
Amstel Light
Duchy Original Ale Organic
Mill Street Brewery
Fuller’s Organic
Nelson Organic Ale
Natureland Organic"

They're all pricy and except for Amstel Light, kind of on the heavy side. It's disappointing, but the majority of the time I'll probably still drink what I always have...

Define pricy?

$9.99 will get you a 6/4 pack depending on the beer. Most bars in my area had mirco's competing with macro's on price when bought from the tap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back