Optic for 50 Beowulf ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an Alexander Arms 50 Beowulf with 16.5 inch barrel. Note: the round is similar to an oversized pistol round, not a 50BMG round.

Anyway, this thing's a bit of a beast, just about knocks my wife over, even with the spring loaded-recoil absorbing stock.

I installed an EoTech on it and it's not holding zero. The point of impact keeps drifting to the left. Obviously, the EoTech is not up to the task. I like the EoTech display very much and it's ideal for this "toy". However, everything I hear says they don't hold up to this kind of abuse.

Do you guys have any suggestions for a robust, low power, or no power optic? Iron sights are not an option, as I can't use them.

ACOG has a few low power units for around $600 that should hold up to the recoil.

No real help, but a friend of mine is building a .50 Beowulf. I think he was looking at an Aimpoint Patrol or a Trijicon ACOG. I will probably be going to the store where I get all of my stuff this Friday and will ask them what they suggest.

Something must be wrong with your Eotech, plenty of guys out there running them on beowulfs.

I'd send it off to L3, they have stellar customer service.

Originally Posted By: DirtyMoe21
Something must be wrong with your Eotech, plenty of guys out there running them on beowulfs.

I'd send it off to L3, they have stellar customer service.

It's an older one. From what I read, it's just not up to the task.

I thought the EOtech was pretty tough. If you're certain that it's not the mount, or the optic itself, then what about the Leupold Deltapoint? It's light, but reported to be tough, and fits your 1x quick-acquisition profile. In this case, light is good, reducing the effect/load from recoil...

Aimpoint M4s, tough enough to be standard issue, and one AA last for TEN years.

Is it the Eotech that's bad, or is it your mount?

Those mini-ACOGs are very nice. The reticle and target are fast to acquire, and they're quite robust.

By the way, I think the .50 Beowulf is awesome! I would love to try a large caliber AR-platform out...very cool rifle...how do you like it overall?

Originally Posted By: Astro14
By the way, I think the .50 Beowulf is awesome! I would love to try a large caliber AR-platform out...very cool rifle...how do you like it overall?

It's my #2 favorite. #1 being my LR308 target-range queen!

The Beo is an absolute blast to shoot. It's the base model, without a flash hider or muzzle brake and the Carbon Fiber handguard. So, it's very light. I installed a recoil absorbing stock as it's got some kick. 3000 ft/lbs energy! That's more power than my 308!

It did take a little bit of tweaking to get it to extract the brass properly. No big deal at all. Just a quick adjustment of the extractor. As the brass was hanging up in the extractor due to interference. Easy fix.

I purchased it to use for helicopter hog hunting. Which, sadly, I have not yet done.

Oh yeah, did I mention that I really enjoy shooting this thing!

beofv.jpg

Last edited:
Concurs on the LR-308. Mine is a carbine (AP4 version) because I wanted the power in something that was easy to handle. It's very accurate, even with the short carbine barrel. Recoil is reasonable. It's a great all around rifle; 20 rounds of .308, light, accurate, easy to handle and shoot. If I had to pick one rifle for all uses, the LR-308 would be it. Thought about getting either a new upper with a 20" barrel and good scope for longer range, or just getting a new rifle for that use. Both will have to wait until middle child is farther in college (oldest child is a junior, middle is waiting to hear back from colleges).

Back OT, the Beowulf looks great. Thanks for the picture. I've got Alexander Arms bookmarked...a guy can dream....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back