Which oil filter for 2014 Jeep Cherokee?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Cartridge filter right? I've been very satisfied with the Wix cartridge filters I've been using in the one vehicle we have that takes them.

Yes. It is a cartridge style. Thanks.

Take a look at each filter... I'm my case, 2012 T&C with a Pentastar, the Fram, Wix, Mopar, Puro, NAPA, and AA house Pro-Motive are all the same filter. Same markings, all made in Poland. Then go with the cheapest. NAPA in my case

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I go with the factory filter for the first few oil changes during the waraanty period. In fact, I see no reason to not use OE always. Ed

Reason is simple - there are better filters out there and I prefer to use them when available for my application.

Thanks for the replies folks. Still got about 1200 miles +/- before the 1st OC( @ 1500 miles )so I have a bit to make up my mind. Or do I? Maybe I better see if any place actually has them in stock other than the dealer. I saw a 3 pak deal on E-Bay for the aftermarket MOPAR ones for like $28 shipped. May go that route but we will see.

Last edited:
In fairness to both of you, I don't think he wants to use the OEM filter, either.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Motorking
Amazing when you say FRAM is out- We put the exact same filter in our box as the one in the Mopar box. The filter is patented by the manufacturer. If what is in any other companies box is not exactly the same (look for patent#'s), it is a "design around" the patent filter.
Why so quick to jump on slamming FRAM when a little investigation would reveal we are doing the right thing.

I realize you work for Fram and thus have a positive view of the company. You clearly do not recall me explaining why I do not a few months back when you jumped me like this then too. It is understandable though as you jump anyone who says anything negative about Fram. That is a lot for you to keep track of.

I don't care if the oil filter is exactly the same as I would get from brand X Y Z. If it says Fram I don't want it and I don't have to explain why to you. Period and end of story. I will use Fram air filters, cabin filters, PCV, etc... but not the oil filters. If you don't like that, too bad, I could care less to be honest.

If Fram pays for my vehicle and the maintenance and repairs it needs I will use your oil filters. As long as I am paying the choice is mine. My choice is no thank you.

And for the record I did not "slam" Fram. I simply said Champ/LuberFiner and Fram are out. That is it, nothing more. How is that a slam? I didn't say because they were junk or anything. I purposely worded it in a civil way so folks like you wouldn't do exactly what you did. Wow.

Please go away and bother someone else.

Originally Posted By: Garak
In fairness to both of you, I don't think he wants to use the OEM filter, either.
wink.gif

Correct. Unfortunately I can't get a filter like I want at this time. Too new.

I've used Wix or Napa Gold on my 3.6. I've had 0 issues. I'd go for Mopar or Wix -- whichever is more readily available to you.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
I've used Wix or Napa Gold on my 3.6. I've had 0 issues. I'd go for Mopar or Wix -- whichever is more readily available to you.

Unless I get it at the dealer I have to order whatever filter I go with. Nothing local in a brand I would use.

No worries dude. Not picking on you, just pointing out that we put the same filter in our box that Chrysler uses. The filter is very new and there are many reports in Jeep forums of getting a powertrain code set after oil changes with other filters than OE. (Po66D). dealer will not repair or reset the code under warranty
In a year or so, we will have an Ultra version of this filter with steel screen backing and full synthetic media.
Have a great weekend

No worries dude. Not picking on you, just pointing out that we put the same filter in our box that Chrysler uses. The filter is very new and there are many reports in Jeep forums of getting a powertrain code set after oil changes with other filters than OE.

What transpires to make the power train computer set a code due to an oil change? Low oil pressure for too long? Must be some kind of sensor(s) not liking what they see. First time I've heard of any vehicle setting trouble codes due to what oil filter is used.

UPDATE:

I ended up going with a Wix WL10010 as one local parts store actually had it in stock. The rest either didn't list a filter at all( didn't even show the part #'s that I gave them ), listed it but there was no stock in the company/warehouse, or could get it but were crazy on the price( PepBoys Purolator Classic @15.99 = NOT! ). I was surprised at the place that actually had it. Cost $6.75. Until I can come up with what I want this is probably what I will use.

FWIW this is the new filter. Used in other 3.2L/3.6L Pentastar equipped 2014+ vehicles not just the new Cherokee.

Amazing when you say FRAM is out- We put the exact same filter in our box as the one in the Mopar box. The filter is patented by the manufacturer.

This is interesting and confusing. Is it a filter manufacturer or Fiat that owns the patent? It is a legitimate patent covering actual new technology that's patented or just a [censored] patent on an interface? Are all of the filters made by one manufacturer and sold under multiple brands or are there multiple manufacturers making the filters to the same specs under license?

Originally Posted By: yonyon
Amazing when you say FRAM is out- We put the exact same filter in our box as the one in the Mopar box. The filter is patented by the manufacturer.

This is interesting and confusing. Is it a filter manufacturer or Fiat that owns the patent? It is a legitimate patent covering actual new technology that's patented or just a [censored] patent on an interface? Are all of the filters made by one manufacturer and sold under multiple brands or are there multiple manufacturers making the filters to the same specs under license?

PlEASE don't encourage the Fram troll.
31.gif

Last edited:
^^^^^ Geez, I'm glad I do not have to live or work around you, dude---pretty crabby IMO
Jay has always been helpful and insightful in his posts--and yes, I've been using Fram for over 40 years---without a problem

Originally Posted By: steve20
^^^^^ Geez, I'm glad I do not have to live or work around you, dude---pretty crabby IMO
Jay has always been helpful and insightful in his posts--and yes, I've been using Fram for over 40 years---without a problem

When he starts following you around and jumping you because you say you don't like Fram( or something else seeing as you do like Fram )get back to me. The guy is PITA! He jumps anyone who doesn't like Fram like a little kid. I get it that he works for them but he goes way too far in defending them. If I ran the company and an employee of mine was doing what he does they would be told to stop PDQ or even let go.

This thread is a classic example of this guys SOP. I simply said Fram was out of the mix for my use and that is ALL I said. I didn't say anything about how [censored] they are, they are junk, etc... Yet he felt obliged to jump in as always with his Fram rhetoric. He knows from past run ins why I don't use that garbage yet he persists in his quest to convert me every once in a while and I am sick of it.

The guy is a TROLL of the highest order and any good he does is offset by his [censored] when you don't like Fram. Now, why don't you butt out when you clearly don't have all the facts.

Last edited:
^^^ If you read the post interactions, Motorking was just pointing out and making it clear that the Chrysler filter and Fram filter were the same exact filter for those who thought they might be different. He was never defending that Fram was better, etc.

There was ZERO reason for him to have even jumped into this thread. Nothing negative was said about Fram other than I didn't want to use them. He is a Fram pimp and I am tired of him.

Last edited:
Well, he does work for Fram so I see it as him clarifying that the OEM Chrysler filter is the same exact filer as the Fram. If you don't like seeing him post, then put him on ignore to help keep your blood pressure down.
wink.gif

I could care less what he posts really as long as he leaves me alone. His input is not wanted or appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back