Denso plugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do my Denso IR's need anti-seize on an aluminum head. If so copper or nickle based, or does it make any difference?

Originally Posted By: cutter
They're nickel plated so no paste needed, or recommended.

+1
If you use it your car won't explode - I used to use anti-seize until I saw what the mfg recommended. For the plugs with the nickel plating like what's on my accord it's not needed. I've had no problems removing these type plugs.
I still use it on the AC plugs for the 57 though as they are "plain ole AC plugs".

However the great A-S debate will be around for a long time
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
Originally Posted By: drtyler
+1

See this bulletin by NGK. Of course, same would apply for Denso if the threads are plated.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/pdf/tb-0630111antisieze.pdf

Originally Posted By: cutter
They're nickel plated so no paste needed, or recommended.

The installers shouldn't be using wrenches designed for bridges and they won't over-tighten!

Yeah, but Joe Driveway.

I've used the paste on plug installs before, at torque spec, it definitely feels easier to go further. It's easy to see how someone would go the extra distance at the point.

The optimum approach for all plugs is to use a small amount of anti-seize and to torque the plug to the low end of the published torque range. Plug manufacturers came up with sacrificial coatings that don't require anti-seize to protect those owners who don't understand the proper use of anti-seize or torque wrenches, and while not optimum those coatings generally work well enough.

No anti-seize.

I can't tell you how many 100k mile plugs I've pulled out of aluminum heads... I can tell you that they all came out fine. Of course, this being BITOG, we will stress and obsess over them, goo them up with anti-seize and swap them out at 50k miles.... If we're living dangerously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back