Advice for higher mileage 2006 Hyundai accent

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2006 Hyundai accent commuter that is approaching 147000 miles. It has been using conventional Pennzoil 5w-20/5w-30 every 3750 miles for most of its life. I'd say 90% of those miles are freeway. I've even used Auto-Rx at approximately 50 and 90K miles. It runs great and consumes maybe half a quart over 3000 miles.

Just bought a Highlander to replace our Jetta as the family vehicle so I'll probably be driving the accent to work for awhile (hate having car payments). My question is....do I just stay the course with conventional Pennzoil, try a high-mileage oil, or even try a synthetic? I've been thinking of Pennzoil or mobile-1 high mileage oil. Although I don't really want to deal with any unmasked oil leaks with synthetic.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
I see zero reason to change anything other than with 90% highway miles i'd stretch it out to atleast 5k. And no i don't use Pennzoil but to buck a BITOG trend i'm not going to reccomend my own personal preference of an oil that is marginally different that will yield the exact same results as the Pennzoil conventional.

Originally Posted By: Drew1977
I have a 2006 Hyundai accent commuter that is approaching 147000 miles. It has been using conventional Pennzoil 5w-20/5w-30 every 3750 miles for most of its life. I'd say 90% of those miles are freeway. I've even used Auto-Rx at approximately 50 and 90K miles. It runs great and consumes maybe half a quart over 3000 miles.

Just bought a Highlander to replace our Jetta as the family vehicle so I'll probably be driving the accent to work for awhile (hate having car payments). My question is....do I just stay the course with conventional Pennzoil, try a high-mileage oil, or even try a synthetic? I've been thinking of Pennzoil or mobile-1 high mileage oil. Although I don't really want to deal with any unmasked oil leaks with synthetic.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

You are probably changing the oil too frequently, standard recommendation is 7500 especially as you're just doing freeway miles. You can stay the course, high mileage oil is a new marketing ploy. Not a big fan of any type of snake oils, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Synthetics won't cause any leaks although if there are any, it might make it worse.

Originally Posted By: Drew1977
I have a 2006 Hyundai accent commuter that is approaching 147000 miles.

It has been using conventional Pennzoil 5w-20/5w-30 every 3750 miles for most of its life. I'd say 90% of those miles are freeway. ...

My question is....do I just stay the course with conventional Pennzoil...[?]

Here's your answer:

Originally Posted By: bvance554
I see zero reason to change anything other than with 90% highway miles i'd stretch it out to at least 5k.

...and perhaps even longer with a UOA. Easy climate, 90% highway screams for IMO around 7500 OCI without an issue.

Originally Posted By: bvance554

And no i don't use Pennzoil but to buck a BITOG trend i'm not going to reccomend my own personal preference of an oil that is marginally different that will yield the exact same results as the Pennzoil conventional.

I applaud you, sir! Most of us are guilty of making a recommendation simply because we prefer something other than what the OP is using....all while ignoring the OP's question. But I think most will agree that OP has a great setup for extended OCIs.

I have a customer with a 2006 Accent with almost 250k on it that has just done bulk oil changes with us since the car was new.
Stay the course and you will get many more miles out of your car.

Yes, I too agree that you should stay the course!
smile.gif

If any changes are to be made, you may want to extend your OCI a bit...What is a bit? IDK! You decide
smile.gif

How many qts is your OCI(4qts, 5qts)???

By adding a qts when it gets low during you 3750 mile OCI, you are putting new additives back into the mix thus, allowing for further duration for your OCI.
smile.gif

Your '06 Accent engine can easily go 5K miles on any dino(longer due to Hiwy miles). You are using PYB(probably the best dino available). So, consider extended OCI's but, make sure you can sleep well at night by doing so!

Thanks for all the input! Sticking with the basic Pennzoil is definitely the cheaper option. I will probably stick with my short OCI as my commute is much shorter (Thank god!) and I do have to deal with some city traffic/idling. I am glad to hear that my little Accent can go for the long haul if well maintained, though I'm not sure if that's a blessing or a curse
grin.gif

If your running PYB I think its about the best without jumping into the synthetic market. Just saw an article of many 5w20's tested and compared and pennzoil and quaker state had the higher detergents/additives. If not broke, dont fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back