Lube for weed wacker gearbox?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone lube these? I'm talking about the aluminum housing at the bottom of the shaft on a straight shaft trimmer. I have two Ryobi and a Honda and I see no mention of this in the manuals. They get awfully hot so I was thinking of either packing with grease or squirting in some gear lube.

I've never serviced this gearbox. My current trimmer is 3 years old, i think, and it's just a modular Toro from Lowes.

If I had a high dollar one (Husqvarna or Stihl), I'd probably look into it to keep it forever, but for a throwaway that will last many years on it's own probably not.

Sthil has a lube that comes in a tube like toothpaste. You take the plug out of the gear box and screw in the tube of grease then squeeze. It is much thicker than bar and chain oil or 15w-40. I squeeze a little in 2x per season.

My new kawasaki timmer wants grease in there. Only amsoil fully synthetic grease, per the manual. Okay made up the amsoil part.

My husqvarna trimmer has grease in there, not an oil. Not sure what it is but I've been meaning to try to add some more or replace what's in there somehow. I think I checked my manual a year or two ago and didn't see any mention either, though.

I have the same question. I have a consumer grade stihl. I perfer a curve shaft, they have way less moving parts, lower powerhead providing way more comfortable, and gets under and around stuff better. A gearbox goes out your done for till you get parts. A curve shaft goes out, d take a drive on garbage nite and do a dumster dive a curb special weedeater for the parts. Back running.

Ken

My Kawasaki Trimmer calls for high quality lithium #2 grease in the gearbox every 25 hours. I use one of those 3 oz grease guns and some general lithium #2 grease. It also wants me to grease the shaft every 100 hours. Yeah, grease the shaft
smile.gif

Probably take me 15 years to get a 100 hours on my trimmer. I will probably do it after like 5 or 6 years a matter of course...

soo not true. rtfm.
husqvarna and stihl pro brush saws easily do 100 heavy hrs in 2 weeks in forestry, they use own brand grease for the gears. PDS indicates lithium grease.
bar oil??? joker
cry.gif

Originally Posted By: Realtech214
I think the stihl trimmers use the bar/chain oil used in the chainsaws. Anything will work, the right stuff is like a 15w40 weight

Last edited:
The correct lube for my Stihl trimmer is what was mentioned above: toothpaste looking tube that screws onto the gearbox.

Ive never touched the gearbox on my now 8 yr old Stihl trimmer. Maybe Ill do that this spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back