Oil suggestion for new Can Am Outlander 1000 atv

Status
Not open for further replies.
A buddy just bought a new Can Am outlander 1000 and wants to know what a good oil is to use. His first oil change will be with Can AM oil, anyone know who makes their oil?

I bet their manual says to use THEIR brand if oil.The question of what oil to use gets asked alot here.If it was me, here's what I'd do. Buy a qt of the factory recommended oil. Send a sample in to be analysed. Then search the VOA section for an oil that meets, or exceeds what the factory sells. Then check what each oil sells for, and buy the one you feel will give the most bang for the buck. To list an API rating to use, but not have that rating on their factory bottle, seems like they want you to use their product on blind faith. Nowadays you can use science instead of advertising to guide your decision.,,

Don't know who makes the Can-Am oil, nor do I know it's viscosity, it's not on the bottle. The manual probably just says use their oil and doesn't give any specs. My main concern is if the engine has a wet clutch or not. I don't know on that particular engine, but I suspect that it does not. I would use something like Mobil 0w40 if it doesn't have a wet clutch and Rotella T6 5w40 if it does. Of course those are my easy to find suggestions. If you want something more exotic then run Schaeffer's Racing 5w50, that's what's in my Scrambler 850 HO.

Originally Posted By: ccdhowell
My main concern is if the engine has a wet clutch or not. I don't know on that particular engine, but I suspect that it does not.

Yeah, this thing has a CVT.

Here is what the owner manual says about engine oil:
Quote:
Recommended Engine Oil
For the summer season, use XPS 4-STROKE SYNTH. BLEND OIL (SUMMER) (P/N 293 600 121).
For the all season, use XPS 4-STROKE SYNTHETIC OIL (ALL CLIMATE) (P/N 293 600 112).

NOTE: The XPS oil is specially formulated and tested for the severe requirements
of this engine.

If not available, use 4-stroke SAE 5W40 engine oil thatmeets or exceeds the
requirements for API service classification SM, SL or SJ. Always check the API
service label certification on the oil container it must contain at least one of
the above standards.

So, given the above, I agree with the M1 0w-40 recommendation.

I had a Can Am Roadster for 32K miles and used motorcycle rated oil, mostly 10-40 but
beefed up a little with 20-50 for increased vicosity. This bike had a CVT also and between
that and its 2 cyl 998cc engine it was hard on oil, so it got changed every 4K miles.

I assume an off road machine goes by hours, so no idea how 4K would equate!

As to BRP oil, its been said that Castrol packages it for them. Castrol is one of the few
companies that make a 5-40 synthetic motorcycle oil and they also make blends of any
viscosity you might want.

Mostly I used Amsoil as it held up better than any other brand, followed closely by Valvoline Synthetic motorcycle oil. I never got around to trying Mobil 1 cycle oil.

Last edited:
So, is there much of a difference between Mobil 1 0w-40 or Rotella T-6 5w-40 or Castrol Edge 0w-40 for this application?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back