Worst beater you've ever driven...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figured I'd start a thread to see what the worst junker everyone has driven is. I once borrowed a 97 Altima for about 6 months after the car I had was totaled in a pile up and I was saving for a new one. When I first picked up the car from my girlfriend's parents, I was driving down the road and the low oil light came on. The muffler had rusted out, it had a misfire, and right before I bought my truck the ecu died. When I returned the car I replaced the ecu, muffler, cap & rotor, valve cover gasket, fuel pump & filter, plugs and wires, battery cables, flushed the radiator and gave it a good thorough cleaning. The cause of the misfire was a leak from the valve cover on to the spark plug boot, there was about an inch of oil in the tube!

1965 VW Bug in high school and college. During Colorado winters. With no heat/defrosters. The driver's door hinges were sprung and the door would open at inopportune times. Every oil change would bring new bits of metal in the screen that served as a "filter".

I said f-it, and sold it and joined the military....I was also encouraged to do so by a judge who revoked my license for having the back seat full of beer.

Last edited:
An '89 Isuzu I-Mark that was given to my younger brother when he was 16. It was a rust bucket, and had been sitting for a while so bees had built nests in the fuel filler door and along the door openings.

Surprisingly, everything seemed to kind of work on it. The AC was cold but the engine had no power, and it was a real piece of junk. I had to put a radiator and a few other minor things to get it going, but he got a summer out of it.

I had a '90 Dodge Omni that wasn't much better, if you pulled the carpet back you could see the road! At least it was a 5 speed and had a little bit of power.

A 1986 Dodge Lancer turbo I bought at auction for about 100 bucks. Full of trash a few dent's. Cleaned it up, replaced and axle and drove it the winter for about 3 years. I allowed me to keep my 98 Z28 parked. What an ugly mofo, but it always started and ran pretty good.

As a teenager I drove a 1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass. I drove the thing into the ground. When it was junked everything was going wrong on it but I remember it had almost 150,000 miles on it.

Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
As a teenager I drove a 1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass. I drove the thing into the ground. When it was junked everything was going wrong on it but I remember it had almost 150,000 miles on it.

My first car was an 83 cutlass supreme. It was an awesome car til I tried to fix something that wasn't broke and put a can of restore in the oil. Within 3000 kms the engine had eaten the cam.
The original 305 had under 100000kms when it munched the cam so I rounded up a 350 small block that came out of a truck. It had headers,a 650 Holley double pumper and a turbo 400 tranny.
I then found a posi rear and I began my transformation into a gearhead.
I removed and replaced everything myself. First time and all I had was a Haynes manual.
I drove the heck out of that car. That double pumper made that engine so responsive. Instant response even with very light pedal inputs.
It wasn't til I got into mustangs that I learned to appreciate fuel injection.
I sold that car to a guy who turned it into a stock car.
Great car.

My brother, then my sister, oth drove an early 80s Malibu, which I borrowed ince and awhike when mine was out of commission.

"The Malispew" or just "Spew" for short, belched blue tinged smoke at all times. More when you pressed the gas, which didn't increase the power much over idle but made a beauty of a cloud. Used a quart in under 750 miles, the upholstery was shot, the radio received only static, one window was broken out and duck taped and it was white iver rust in color. The car wouldn't die though and lasted many years.....

Probably a 1980 Chevette 4 speed stick. My brother and I beat this thing to death, hauling sheetrock, paint, and 5 gallon tubs of joint compound. It was a car used to replace a stolen work van we had while we waited for delivery of a new van. A $50 throwaway car, what's not to like?

My current 1997 Grand Prix. 196K. Rocker panels are rusted so bad they are gone. Both rear strut towers are cracked. Leaking LIM that constantly fouls the spark plugs.

I have already replaced the radiator and crank sensor. Both parts cost more than the car did.

I have to think about that one. I have driven some truly bad cars.

Owned? It would probably be my '83 Oldsmobile 98 aka: The 98 Regurgitate.

Driven? My brother in law's Volvo 240. Once glossy burgandy paint burned to a brownish red flat finish.
Driver's seat springs were broken so you had to sit on the edge of the seat to push the clutch.
Big hole in the floor where the shifter boot had been allowing leaking exhaust and burned oil smoke to enter the interior.
Worn out rack and pinion with mounts dissolved by oil leaks. If you did it right, you could accelerate above 45mph. Do it wrong and it will shake violently at 45.
All engine and transmission mounts were bad. Lift off the throttle? CLUNK! Apply the gas? THUNK!
Rear end bearings bad. Whirred loudly all the time.
Air Conditioning? The evaporator core was still kinda' visible where someone had hacked off the hoses. Compressor was gone.
Heater? Yeah right. Someone had looped the heater hose connections a long time ago. You really didn't want to drive with the windows up anyway.
Tires? It had them. One is a B70-14 Bias Ply whitewall labled simply MONTGOMERY WARD , the balance were various radials none of which had good tread.
Brakes? Somewhat. They would stop the car but you had to plan ahead.
The speedometer cable was still good and I know this because the remains of the speedometer needle would rotate on a 1:1 ratio with the cable
Driver's door handle: Need to get out in a hurry? Passenger door is your best friend.

All I can really say positive is that the engine and powertrain kept running and the lights worked. Usually, the other brand of Swedish car or most German cars is in that bad shape and the lights are almost guaranteed to not work.

Originally Posted By: JerryBob
1965 VW Bug in high school and college. During Colorado winters. With no heat/defrosters. The driver's door hinges were sprung and the door would open at inopportune times. Every oil change would bring new bits of metal in the screen that served as a "filter".

I said f-it, and sold it and joined the military....I was also encouraged to do so by a judge who revoked my license for having the back seat full of beer.
My first car, a '64 Bug-6V electrical system, even after converting to 12V it REFUSED to start below 30F unless bump started! Add to that the rusted-out heat boxes=no heat once it got running-used to drive around in winter with blankets & cans of de-icer UNDER the blankets to keep them warm to de-ice the INSIDE of the windshield! Caused a life-long hate of ALL VWs!

Bought a 1984 Nissan Stanza 16 valve 4 door off my girlfriends father in 1992 who bought it new. I paid 400 dollars for it with 90 some thousand miles on it. Had an automatic trans but that car would take a wuppin day in and out. I swear I drove that car WOT 75% of the time. I had the plugs changed when I first purchased it and all I did was change the oil with Exxon Superflo 10-30 maybe once a year. Used to drive that car to Ithaca New York every other week for 3 years when college was in service. NEVER once did that car not start when I would turn the key over. Sold it to a friends sister in 1996 for 200 bucks. Acouple months later she ran over something and tore the oil pan off. RIP old reliable Stanza--that car was a "true friend!!"

1977 Honda Accord. It made it to 6 years old and 77,000 miles, and it had rust so bad it literally dissolved before my eyes. The worst part was recurrent electrical problems due to corrosion in the wiring harness causing sporadic intermittencies and shorting. It was the first of only two cars I've ever owned that stranded me on the side of the highway - twice in fact.

In summer of 1999 my sister needed a car to work a temp job. My dad dragged me to a junkyard with used car lot attached. How bad could it be? His goal was to spend at least $700 because under Massachusetts law any > $700 car had to take an inspection sticker.

We looked at a mid 80s dodge 600 that was covered in dog hair. What was left of the vacuum/ PCV system had oil shooting out. It had an electronic dash that worked and, in hindsight, most systems were go. But we could have knitted up a small terrier out of the hair. We took this thing to our mechanic for a look over (why???) and he said, nah, I have two cars for you.

-- a taurus that wouldn't start. Mechanic attacked the battery terminals with a vise grips. Some mechanic. And a

-- 1982 cadillac cimarron. We test drove it and thought it was awesome for $900. Dad bought it and was already plotting to give it to "kidney cars" for a tax write off on Labor Day.

My sister drove this all summer. A terrible valve cover gasket made it "load up" with oil on the exhaust manifold at every traffic light. So he told her to turn the ignition off at every red light! This revealed that it had

1) a lousy battery-- replaced with a "good used one" and
2) a lousy carburetor. Made one year only, J-bodies got TBI injection in 1983. It flooded, had a moody choke, etc.

Fall rolled around and something went kaput in the clutch/ transmission of my 89 Mazda 323. I was not the car nerd I am now and the first mechanic to look at it thought it was "bent forks." So I scrapped it. Dad, always on my side, sold me the cadillac. Brought it up to Maine where it was discovered the holy rocker panels wouldn't pass our strict inspection standards.

I whined about this to my girlfriend (now wife) and her dad had the answer. "Aluma-Trim coil". He's a carpenter who trims out windows with the stuff and he went nuts with his metal brake shaping this stuff just so. (I think he just liked showing off!) Some rivets and bondo and you'd never know! I got this thing legal and drove it a winter.

Over this time I discovered what a sticky thermostat did-- it stuck closed! I pulled over in the middle of the night with the gauge pegged and started banging my shoe on the t-stat housing to try to shake it loose. It worked. I knew I only had a couple more openings before it blew my motor, so I hit up Home depot for some offset metric wrenches to get that thermostat out.

Daylight came and the nerd in me didn't want the chlorine in my tap water in my radiator. So I poured some in a vase and let it evaporate in my apartment. Like that would do any good in an hour. I replaced my t-stat and, son of a gun, it worked!

Other hi-jinks of this car include something making it run mega-rich on an interstate on-ramp. The black smoke behind me had cars dodging left. I felt like James Bond. The "check engine" light came on, first time ever for me. I opened the hood in the breakdown lane, saw nothing, started it up, and was good. I went through all the vacuum hoses and it was better after that. This was before computer driven solenoids had the guts to drive anything, so the computer told the solenoid to allow vacuum to run the (whatever).

The starter wouldn't work one night when it was -7'F so I stuck my foot under the engine and kicked it. Worked.

Both low beam headlights conked out at the same time. I replaced them with one new, one used, to get any future failures "out of phase".

There are worse cars out there-- I've brought some home. But it was a fragile time in my life of not knowing much about cars (it tought me), having little money or contacts in the area.

Punchline-- I got a nice cutlass ciera 3300 from a coworker and sold the cimarron to a local kid. He drove it home and never moved it again.

1977 Plymouth Volare. It was rusted badly from being used as plant vehicle in a acid and caustic unit, and then later from me driving it in saltwater at the beach. Bad shape all over but it did run. However, it got worse, much worse.
33.gif

I was flying down I-10 at 75 mph and hit a huge road sign. The metal I-beam that held one side of it up dug in to the fender an inch behind the edge of the head light and peeled the whole passenger side, including the door clean off. I skidded to a stop, picked the door and panels up, tossed them in the trunk and sped away.

I got a guy to beat them roughly into shape and then weld them back on as best he could. I bought a piece of plexiglass and screwed it over the remains of the window hole.

Amazingly, the beast still fired up and ran straight, as the wheels were still in line and intact. It would even inspect after I convinced the guy it was still OK to drive. I kept it another 2 years, 20K miles before the engine blew.

With due respect to all, I think I win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back