Favorite Beer threads of 2013 combined

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
Overkill you need to try this if you ever come accross it. I drank quite a bit of the English beer while i was in Helsinki, its bit of a rough customer but in a nice sort of way.

http://www.spitfireale.co.uk/spitfire-ale/the-beer.aspx

OK, I picked up this tonight:

spitfire01.jpg

I called the LCBO that I had ordered it from and the guy said it hadn't come in.... and then couldn't find the order in his system. I asked which other LCBO's had it, he said Lakefield and Cobourg and the website said Lakefield was open until 8, so I drove out there. Well, it hadn't started its summer hours yet and had closed at 6.... ARG.

Called Cobourg, no answer. Called Port Perry, Port Hope and then Lindsay. Lindsay had it but was closing in 6 minutes and is 50Km away.

Called Oshawa, who said they didn't have it, but Whitby did and they closed at 9. I had an hour to get there. And this is the result
smile.gif

thumbsup2.gif
You guys are able to all the good stuff, like real beer.
Down here we are pretty much stuck with minimal hops near beer. Looking forward to the review.

I do like the Spitfire add though. No Fokker comes close.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
thumbsup2.gif
You guys are able to all the good stuff, like real beer.
Down here we are pretty much stuck with minimal hops near beer. Looking forward to the review.

I do like the Spitfire add though. No Fokker comes close.
lol.gif

Well there's only one left now, LOL!!! Shared one with slammds15, who agreed with my assessment of it.

It is very palatable, goes down extremely smooth with a moderate aftertaste that isn't unpleasant. The flavour isn't bold, but you know you are drinking it, unlike something like Bud Light or Coors. A little stronger than Beck's, but goes down just as easy. I would argue it is a little fruitier than the German offerings, but this isn't a negative quality.

All-in-all I will definitely be buying it again. Although at $3.50/bottle, it will probably sit beside some less expensive cans like Beck's.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

4x Bitburger

Which one? I've tried their Premium Pils a while back and thought it was a pretty good pilsner.

Having some Stella right now...

I like Stella, and have always liked Amstel light for some reason as well.

I want to spit fire too! Think I'll try some!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I want to spit fire too! Think I'll try some!

Me three! Just need to find it...

recently my mexican friend got me hook on those budlight chelada , I usually dont drink beer, but my favored of all time is XO $170 a bottle
grin.gif

A new brewery, MayDay Brewery from Murfreesboro, TN has a very good product on their hands, the Evil Octopus.
http://maydaybrewery.com/

Third Shift's Amber Ale is a surprisingly good every-day beer. Little wonder why it's completely gone from the shelves of the local stores. Beer Advocate gives it 'only' a 71, but judging from the demand, it's better than that. Maybe it's the fact it's made by Coors that gives it the "oh no, not another bottom-feeder Coors product" mindset, but really, it's good.
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/306/87749

Boulevard Wheat in the summer..... in a frosty glass..........
thumbsup2.gif

And the Sam Adams Winter Sampler pack in the winter.... YUM

JP

Last edited:
Miller Genuine Draft, first beer i ever drank, still like it sometimes.

Samuel Adams is a household staple for the past few years.

I'm not keen on most lagers but some are OK. I love American Pale Ales and IPAs and Imperial IPAs, Stouts, Imperial Stouts, Belgians. Too many stlyes to list really, let alone brands. Had a Sierra Nevada Stout and a Grand Ridge Hatlifter Stout tonight. Both fairly decent. Hitachino Espresso Stout is one of my favorite stouts.

Last edited:
Paulaner - Oktoberfest

Absolutely fantastic beer!

I can only buy it in 1L cans that come with a huge mug at the moment, but oh well
grin.gif

2 favorites that I found this year, both from F&M Breweries. Stone Hammer Maple Red Ale (made with Maple Syrup) and Stone Hammer Oatmeal Coffee Stout. Unfortunately they are both seasonal, the stout isn't back until November and the ale March. Luckily their Dark Ale is around all year!

Finally got my hands on some Sierra Navada Ruthless Rye IPA. I like their offerings and this one is predictably tasty.

I cracked open a 2012 Deschutes The Abyss Imperial Stout I've been letting age for just over a year a week and a half ago. The best beer I've ever had.

Wasn't able to get any 2013. One guy reportedly bought out all the stock in Las Vegas on the day it was released.

I'm normally not a beer drinker, but this caught my eye this morning at the grocery store. I've always had an interest in brewing/fermenting/distilling beverages, and this is a unique twist on beer.

This morning I picked up a bottle of Rye on Rye from Boulevard Brewing and decided to give it a try this evening. I don't have a proper beer glass, so I used a wine glass. I chilled it to 57 degrees and poured a glass.

It does have a head when poured, but it falls quickly. The first thing I noticed was the mellow hoppy taste. With most beer there's a blast of hops and malt, and this has the same flavor, but with a more mellow note. The taste of oak, rye and caramelized wood are there, but well balanced and none stand out. There's also a faint citrus flavor just under the surface. The carbonation is there, but it isn't as bloating as most beer.

The finish was surprisingly dry for a beer-close to that of some wines. The alcohol content was 12% which is well in wine territory.

I think this is one of the few beers that will age well, and I may pick up a case or so tomorrow and put it in my wine cellar for a year or two. This was clearly quite young, but give it some time to mellow a bit and I suspect it will be a very good beer.

In some ways. beer is like women. No two of them are the same, they all bring something different to the party. Therefore, in my opinion, it is difficult to have a single favorite beer. But one of the ones that I have had recently that I will remember for a while is this beer: Obsidian Stout from Deschutes Brewing company. Truly amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back