confused about my exhaust

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my 89 chevy truck i noticed I have a cat then an area where it looks like a glass pack. But it's all the part of the exhaust isn't it called a resonator? Shortly after that it splits off to have dual exhaust at the end but I don't see an actual muffler. It's not loud at all so I'm somewhat confused.....

9iu681.jpg

obviously its not factory exhaust being that is dual.

is it fully welded or is any of that clamped together?

yes pictures would be nice
smile.gif

and voila a picture appears after i post
laugh.gif

from this angle it does indeed look like a glasspack.

i know they do make other kinds of mufflers that look like that, could be why it doesn't seem very loud.

Depends on the brand of the glass pack, I had one put on mine and my exhaust was very quiet, so i took that off and went straight. I dont think these old trucks had resonators lol.

Yea it's pretty quiet. Kinda wish it had a little lower tone to it.

If that's an old style catalytic converter with replaceable beads in it there isn't need for much of a muffler to keep it quiet.

Nothing factory about that exhaust.
You'd never see all those clamps from any factory.
Flanges?
Maybe.
Clamps?
No.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Nothing factory about that exhaust.
You'd never see all those clamps from any factory.
Flanges?
Maybe.
Clamps?
No.

I know it's not factory like you said it's obvious. Two of those clamps were used to attach to the hangers . So the exhaust isn't actually pieced together as much as it looks.

Some cars and trucks have a resonator that looks like a glasspack, and is built like one. It isn't always easy to know if it was OEM or not. When muffler shops find a broken resonator, they often use a glasspack as a universal replacement, and it does work.

sometimes when a glass pack is new you have to give it sometime to break in. sometimes a glasspack will burnout a bit or wear in and the sound may change after being heated up etc over and over again.

on my explorer exhaust after i bought it i removed the muffler and tailpipe, bought a dynomax tailpipe with larger diameter and put on a 18 inch summit glasspack. it sounded awesome but i think it gradually got a bit louder as it broke in.

i wasn't very happy that the dynomax pipe only lasted a few years before rusting out and i decided i wan't going to spend that kind of money on the same pipe, i ended up going back to a factory tailpipe with the resonator towards the end and instead of having the glasspack on it i just put in straight pipe. it still sounds nice but i think it was louder with the glasspack and dynomax pipe rather then the straight pipe with a factory resonator pipe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back