Son of Dexos coming 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
The dexos standards are readily available to any entity that has a legitimate need for them. How would oil blenders know how their oils have to perform if the specifications were secret? I read the dexos standards back in 2010 when I was working at a Tier One parts supplier.

LOL..Ouch...you mean publishing them on BITOG isn't "legitimate" ?

I just don't really lose any sleep over this stuff. I use an oil that says it meets the dexos1 spec, yet is not on the approved list. GM is going to have a rough time of it proving the oil was not robust enough and led to damage as they are required to do so under the MMA. Also, the oil company themselves will have to answer why they stated the oil met the spec and didn't, i.e. falsifying product claims. On both of these, the Federal Trade Commission will take an interest. The oil company would probably go to bat against a GM claim that the oil didn't meet the spec also, because they know that they risk a lawsuit and FTC fines if their oil didn't meet the spec as they claimed it did.

When you look at how nasty this all can get, and you can bet GM and oil company legal counsels already have, I am not really worried that I am well into safe territory doing what I am doing now. The manual on my vehicle says dexos1 or equivalent, the oil I use claims to be equivalent.

I truly feel for those that let their paranoia gland become enlarged.

Except some companies claim that they meet stuff when they clearly don't, even on simple physical parameters...I'm sure you'll be OK.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
They're not. And if it's anything like our biz where mfgrs are allowed to claim 'trade secret', then we will likely not know much.

The faux outrage here is quite amusing, and the majority seem to be anti GM.

Let's all go 'Don Quixote' and start getting that big bad General...

Just to be clear I am not anti GM. I have had 3 GM vehicles since 2005. I just do not like how they do some thinsg and Dexos is one of them.

So GM wants a better oil for their cars...and people are [censored] that GM gets a little bit money from it..interesting.

Yet people spend all day here looking for the best oil for their cars....

Am I the only one seeing the irony here?

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
I just don't really lose any sleep over this stuff. I use an oil that says it meets the dexos1 spec, yet is not on the approved list. GM is going to have a rough time of it proving the oil was not robust enough and led to damage as they are required to do so under the MMA. Also, the oil company themselves will have to answer why they stated the oil met the spec and didn't, i.e. falsifying product claims. On both of these, the Federal Trade Commission will take an interest. The oil company would probably go to bat against a GM claim that the oil didn't meet the spec also, because they know that they risk a lawsuit and FTC fines if their oil didn't meet the spec as they claimed it did.

When you look at how nasty this all can get, and you can bet GM and oil company legal counsels already have, I am not really worried that I am well into safe territory doing what I am doing now. The manual on my vehicle says dexos1 or equivalent, the oil I use claims to be equivalent.

I truly feel for those that let their paranoia gland become enlarged.

I agree!

I dont know how some of you sleep at night worrying so much!
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Except some companies claim that they meet stuff when they clearly don't, even on simple physical parameters...I'm sure you'll be OK.

That is why there is the Federal Trade Commission and the law firm of Burn 'Em and Run or Dewey Cheat 'um and How. Someone makes a claim that is untrue, you get to sue their ancestors for mercy! I am using Schaeffer oil in my 2013 Silverado. They have been making lube products longer than anyone else in America, so I think they have the claim of being dexos compliant well in hand.

To the people who think the Dexos stamp on the bottle only lines the GM big wig's pockets, what about the Chrysler (for Pennzoil only) as well as Ford's spec on M1 and Pennzoil bottles.

On a side note, why do you think M1 has yet to have the Chrysler spec? Last time I checked, M1 and PP were the same price while M1 only meets 1 out of the 2 specs listed above.

And as I have said before, the Pennzoil blend is roughly $1.50 more than PYB. $1.50 more for a syntheic blend is an exceptional deal.. Forget the lisensing fees. And knowing its at least a 50/50 blend because of the Dexos stamp makes it even better IMO.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
To the people who think the Dexos stamp on the bottle only lines the GM big wig's pockets, what about the Chrysler (for Pennzoil only) as well as Ford's spec on M1 and Pennzoil bottles.

To that end... Ford is straight up putting BP's logo on their cars:

12398d1132509133-bp-ad-gascap-06-stang-gas-cap-002.jpg

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer

Which is interesting because the MC oil is Conocophillips. I wonder if they will recomend Castrol/ switch blenders next..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer

Which is interesting because the MC oil is Conocophillips. I wonder if they will recomend Castrol/ switch blenders next..

I believe in Europe Ford uses and recommends Castrol products, or at least did at one time. The BP logo has been in Ford manuals on and off for years now...

You just do not get it.

Originally Posted By: dave1251

You just do not get it.

Please elaborate then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back