Time To Replace Air Compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Porter-Cable oil-less air compressor that I bought at Home Depot 10 years ago has some sort of internal leak. Not sure I want to spend the time the time and money to fix it.

Anyone have any experience with Makitas, like THIS ? I think I want something oiled for longevity and quiet.

I mostly use it for framing and finish nailers, auto and bike tires, etc. No plans to drive any tools bigger than that.

I make my living with air compressors. I've got various brands,all have a 5.5hp Honda engine turning either inline twins,v-twins and a couple triples I bolted up just to see if a 5.5hp engine would turn them.

Long story short is the pumps are basically all the same. I've got a couple prime 1.5hp electrics,a couple rigid twin tank 1.5hp electrics and a 20 gallon craftsman 1.5hp electric and all but the craftsman are a direct drive oiled pumps,whereas the craftsman is a belt drive.
I recommend a belt drive. Even if it costs more. Why? Because the motors almost never fail on these things but the pumps have a limited lifespan so a direct drive pump isn't replaceable whereas a belt drive is a simple unbolt one of the pump and bolt another one on.
I've had every brand out there and I can tell you for certain that the off brands are the same as the name brands,only the sticker with the name on it is different so don't pay more for a name.
In total I've got 16 gas powered air compressors and 12 electrics and my off brands like prime are identical to the hitachi's,except the prime cost 250 and the hitachi was 400.

Originally Posted By: JerryBob
My Porter-Cable has some sort of internal

Is it holding ANY pressure?

Originally Posted By: Warstud

Yes, it is usable. But it has a loud leak inside the black motor cover. Pretty much runs constantly as a result.

Clevy, I may not have your budget. I use mine on occasional weekends
smile.gif

Clevy, I may not have your budget. I use mine on occasional weekends
smile.gif

I get ya. Here's my take on it though. Belt drive pump costs 400 bucks. Pump dies in 10 years. I run down to princess auto and buy another pump that bolts in for 100-150.
So an extra few bucks now saves me money down the road and more often than not a belt drive pump pumps more cfm of air which is always a plus.
That Makita is a nice little compressor but it's not going to run any shop tools and will overheat running a framing nailer.

It's not a Quincy but for the money and amount of work it will do it should be just fine.

Originally Posted By: Warstud

I would look into where exactly the leak is coming from.... then go from there.

Last edited:
My Porter-Cable oil-less air compressor that I bought at Home Depot 10 years ago has some sort of internal leak. Not sure I want to spend the time the time and money to fix it.

Anyone have any experience with Makitas, like THIS ? I think I want something oiled for longevity and quiet.

I mostly use it for framing and finish nailers, auto and bike tires, etc. No plans to drive any tools bigger than that.

Craftsman makes a similar, 1HP one. I have one and it does have an oil bath. I got mine on sale for around $100-110 with tax and extended warranty. Mine is the older, 125 PSI one.. the new ones are 135 PSI. The 1HP motor is far above cheap ones from HF that run at 1/3 HP. As of this post, it shows on sale for $99 on sale from $140.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-3-gallon-...mp;blockType=G6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back