Good alternatives to M1-110?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using Mobil 1 filters and Mobil 1 5w-30 oil in my 350Z for quite some time (about 40K miles.) Every morning at startup, I noticed a brief grating sound that lasted about 1 second, but I figured that was just the nature of the beast, so to speak. Just recently, I took my car in for an oil change, and since I didn't have a Mobil 1 filter on hand, I let them put in a regular paper filter (Purolator Pureflow). I've noticed two big differences since the change in oil filter:
1) No grating sound at startup
2) Higher oil pressure displayed on in-cabin gauge (approx 10-15psi higher under load!)
This has me wondering whether the restrictive nature of the Mobil 1 filter is doing more harm than good in my application.
What are some quality alternatives to the M1-110 that I should try?
I would like to try Amsoil, but their recommended replacement is about the size of a golf ball... its really tiny! The next size up has a stiffer bypass valve setting..
Help! Are there any high quality alternatives to the M1 to fit my car?
Thanks,
Mika

Purolator is high quality. They also sell a Pure one filter with a silicone ADBV.

-T

I get a similar sound if my Hyundai V6 sits idle more than three days. The dealer says they all do it to varying degrees - some daily. He went on to say it's just nominal leakdown of the hydraulic lash adjusters and harmless. NO oil filter can prevent that. (That dealership also has a franchise for Nissans.)

quote:

Originally posted by Mika Waller:
Does anyone know how much filter media is in a Pure One PL14610?
I've read that the M1-110 is about 100 sq inches...
Mika

I cut open a M10-110 and measured 60 in^2, which is less media than a Honda motorcycle filter.

There's a lot of filters with the 20 x 1.5mm threads and the same gasket size.

My current favorite is the filter for the Honda S2000.

If you like the Mobil-1 filters, and you have a little more room for a filter, you might consider the M1-104. It has the same gasket & bypass filter specs as the M1-110, but a larger filter element. The M1-104 filter is a similar size to the Honda S2000 filter that satterfi recommended, and was the standard size filter for almost all pre-2002 Honda. By the way, the M1-110 is the same tiny filter that Honda recommends for the 1.0L engine in its Insight hybrid. Satterfi was right on to compare the M1-110 to a motorcycle engine sized filter.

Good luck with the Z.

Don't know what your underhood clearances are, but you might want to try a same-sized Wix 51356, about 96 in^2. Has the red ADBV, T03 semi-synth media, and HUGE inlet holes for good flow.

Check the specs on the Amsoil SDF-36, K&N HP-1004, and the Purolator Premium Plus L24458 and see if they fit.

quote:

I understood that the Pure One was even more restrictive than Mobil 1... is that true?
Mika

According to oilfilterstudy.com yes the media is more restrictive, but it also has more area. Have you establolished that this is your problem though? Cold start noise could be just a faluty ADBV.

Go with the Purolator Premium Plus if you want a high flow filter.

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
Go with the Purolator Premium Plus if you want a high flow filter.

Purolator Premium Plus is a good, high flow filter. Hastings also comes to mind.

quote:

[QB] What are some quality alternatives to the M1-110 that I should try?

I would like to try Amsoil, but their recommended replacement (SDF 13) is about the size of a golf ball.

Help! Are there any high quality alternatives to the M1 to fit my car? /QB]

Mika,

The Bosch 3323 (same size) is a good alternative to the M1 filter. Both are made by Champion Labs. The Bosch 3323 at $6 has paper and synthetic media and is a better bang for the $$$. I have used this filter in my 2k Maxima with good results.

An oversized alternative is the NAPA Gold (Wix) 1334 that I am currently using. It is a short wide filter that has the same diameter rubber gasket as the NAPA 1356 or the M1 and Bosch.

For the Amsoil SDF, go with the SDF 20 versus the tiny SDF 13. If you order the Amsoil SDF filter, you could order the Amsoil ASL 5w-30. It has performed well in the Nissan V6.

I saw the Purolator 24458 mentioned. For any such "Honda" application (which also includes some Mazdas, Mitsubishis, and other rides), you should also look into any filter which fits a 1990 Corvette ZR-1. Bigger filter with a bigger gasket, but should work if your gasket landing is bigger and clearance is OK.

The Amsoil SDF 20 is an intriguing alternative.
The one thing that concerns me is that the bypass valve is set 5 or so PSI higher than the recommended filter (SDF 13). Is this likely to be a problem if I change my oil regularly? How important are the bypass valve settings?
Mika

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back