Filter cross-reference help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad has a newer Ariens riding mower model EZR1742 with a 17 HP single cylinder Briggs & Stratton OHV engine on it. He's been buying the B&S filters from the dealer he bought the mower from, but they're socking him over 12 bucks a piece for these dinky little things. Anyone have an application guide and/or cross reference that could provide me with either Hastings, Wix, or even Fram numbers? I can cross the Fram into another line...I wouldn't dare run one of those things on his mower even though it'd match the color!
We stock Carquest red filters at the dealership and I have the cross reference for automotive filters but no application guide for small engines or listings for a B&S filter.

O/T, but if you've ever mowed with a zero turn riding mower, you'll have a hard time going back to a regular one...These things are so much fun! It's like cutting the grass with a skid-steer!

GO TO THE WIX WEB SITE. THEY HAVE A SECTION FOR LAWN MOWERS AND YOU CAN LOOK UP YOUR OIL FILTER. THEN YOU CAN FIND GO TO YOUR LOCAL PARTS HOUSE AND CROSS IT DO WHATEVER BRAND YOU PREFER. MY JOHN DEERE, GENERATOR, & TOYOTA ALL TAKE THE SAME OIL FILTER. THANKS TO THE WIX CROSS REFERENCE.

I WENT TO THE WIX SITE AND DID NOT FIND YOUR MODEL LISTED. GUESS IT IS TOO KNEW. BUT YOU CAN ALSO LOOK IT UP BY ENGINE MODEL. GO TO LOOK UP, THEN OFF ROAD VEHICLE, THEN SELECT BRAND, THEN GARDEN TRACTOR. IF THAT DOES NOT GIVE YOU FILTER YOU NEED OR IT MAY BE EASIER TO SIMPLY WRITE DOWN THE NUMBER OFF OIL FILTER YOU ARE USING NOW AND ON THE HOME PAGE FOR WIX YOU CAN SIMPLY ENTER THAT NUMBER AND THEY WILL SHOW YOU THE WIX REPLACEMENT. IF THAT FAILS E-MAIL THEM THE NUMBER YOU ARE USING AND THEY WILL LET YOU KNOW IF THEY HAVE A REPLACEMENT. THAT IS WHAT I HAD TO DO ON MY GENERATOR. NO NEED TO PAY HIGH PRICE FOR B/S OIL FILTER.

The Wix/Napa Gold equivalent filter might be #57035. From there you can cross-reference other brands as well.

"Briggs type" 3/4" X 16 threads 8-11 PSI Bypass
Gasket 2.734"OD 2.430"ID 0.226" thick
Length" Wix Purolator Hastings Fram Kohler B&S Baldwin JD TEC MotorCraft AC
2.3" 57035 NA LF503 NA 2805001 492932 B7165 ? 36563 NA NA?
2.7" 51056 L35310 LF302 PH8172 1205001 492932 B1410 AM125424 36262 NA PF2210
3.4" 51348 L10241 LF157 PH7575 5205002 491056 BT223 AM101207 ? FL793 PF53

B&S, NAPA Gold & Carquest premium are made by WIX.

My Honda Rancher ATV has a very small oil filter, about the size of a small baby food jar. About $10 from Honda, have not found any other brand that is cheaper.

Ariens parts have always been pricey. Have had Ariens snow throwers since the '70. My current 13hp model has a Tecumseh engine. Ariens is using imported parts now, picked up a bag of sheer pins last month, said made in China on the bag. I had wheel rust on my last machine and I could not keep tire inflated. A wheel for that 12 hp model cost nearly $100 new, lucky the place had a used one for $25.

I'm always reluctant to cross-reference a cross-reference. Often the result is something different than if you just crossed from the OEM filter.

You might stop into a parts store that handles a good line of filters and ask if you can browse their big catalog. It might have a cross for the B&S filter number. Have the specs for the B&S filter...thread diameter & pitch, gasket diameter, case length & diameter. Scan the big filter catalog for a similar filter, then check that it is indeed for engine oil. If the OEM filter has an internal bypass valve, you'd need to know the spec for that, which is hard to obtain.

Ken

Well I did some digging on my own and found that the B&S filter crossed to a Wix 51056. There were no listings for the 17HP model engine, but the 15, 12.5, and 18 HP engines all took this filter, which is the same one B&S uses for the 17HP engine. I'm pretty sure they only use one filter for most popular applications from what I've gathered.
Since Carquest filters are Wix, there is no problem crossing that number into a Carquest blue filter.

Ariens using imported parts?!? Well that certainly sucks. I've actually toured their plant a number of years ago and it was pretty impressive. They're built in Brillion, WI which is about a 40 minute drive from me.
offtopic.gif
This area of WI seems to be home to lots of outdoor power equipment manufacturers...We got Mercury Marine in Fond du Lac, John Deere in Horicon, Ariens in Brillion, Troy Built (formerly Bolens) in Port Washington, Briggs & Stratton in Milwaukee, Tecumseh in Grafton, Kohler in (you guessed it) Kohler, Ingersoll in Winneconne, and many more that I'm probably forgetting.

Yah, I was kind od po'd when I got home and noticed that they came from across the pond. But many manf. are getting all their fasteners from China.

Can't find a made in USA fastener anywhere around here.

My brother has worked for Kohler since 1970. Their pension plan sucks, monthly pension is $35 per year of service. He has been working 10 hr days 6 days a week. He works in the brass portion on plumbing fixtures. All the crying about the bad economy and they can't build enough to keep up.

We use a Motorcraft FL400S Filter on our Craftsman with a B&S I/C Engine, works great. I can get 3 MC Filters for what one OEM Filter cost at Sears, the MC has a lot more capacity too.

quote:

Originally posted by GT Mike:
... Well I did some digging on my own and found that the B&S filter crossed to a Wix 51056. There were no listings for the 17HP model engine, but the 15, 12.5, and 18 HP engines all took this filter, which is the same one B&S uses for the 17HP engine. I'm pretty sure they only use one filter for most popular applications from what I've gathered.
Since Carquest filters are Wix, there is no problem crossing that number into a Carquest blue filter....

Especially since B&S filters are also Wix!

There are 3 "standard" sizes of Briggs filters (which also fiit Kohlers).
Depending on space limitations of the equipment that it's installed on or what the equipment manufacturer specs. I think some of them only want to carry the smaller "one size fits all" version.

A 4.8" long version-
Wix Purolator Hastings Fram Baldwin MotorCraft AC
51516 L20195 LF134 PH3600 B243 FL400A PFL400A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back