Scotty Kilmer's recent videos

Status
Not open for further replies.
While his videos can be informative at times, I mainly watch him for the entertainment. His last few videos have been pretty pointless. I guess he's beginning to run out of things to repair/discuss. Eric the Car Guy has also slowed down a little; I'd really like to see him start working on the Fairmont and Vigor he bought.

Ooohhh, A Vigor would be cool. My uncle bought a new one back in 1994. It seemed more fun to drive than the later TL versions.

I haven't found Scotty's videos to be informative ever really. lol, that's just not his style you could say.

I agree, I'd like to see ETCG get to work on his project cars he bought!

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Eric The Car Guy is awesome! Love his vids!

I was a little irritated with him. He has a series on a GM 5.3 he tore down because of no compression on a cylinder. He never found the cause and just dropped it.

I hate mysteries. They give me a bellyache. And that gave me a beauty.

By far one of the most useful car guys in YT if you really want to do a project on your car and have NOT done it before. Great details, and helpful hints.

I wish he would stop focusing on the tool reviews because they are really not that worthwhile, although perhaps the tool companies are comping him to do them.

I agree about the Vigor and Fairmont. My guess is he is waiting for the weather to get better, that shop has heat but it is still bitter cold up in Ohio right now.

Vigor was a very characterful, interesting, and great car to drive as well. This was when Acura was near its peak with some of the very best cars to own and drive.

I think Scotty Kilmer's vids are informative and helpful. I followed a number of them to fix stuff and was a great help. He also replies to questions individually via email..explain ur car trouble and he gives advice on what to check.

What do you guys see as so unique about the Vigor?
It's my daily driver, has been so since my Integra Type-R was stolen in 2003; would like to know what traits you look back to with fondness. I was kind of thinking of a Fiesta ST as a replacement.

Originally Posted By: spackard
What do you guys see as so unique about the Vigor?
It's my daily driver, has been so since my Integra Type-R was stolen in 2003; would like to know what traits you look back to with fondness. I was kind of thinking of a Fiesta ST as a replacement.

I think the 5 cylinder engine counts, it was a really unique and also a very good engine for its time.

I find most of Scotty's videos pretty generic like what you would see on TV commercial, but that's because he's trying to reach to a broad audience who likely never changed their own oil. They are still informative, especially if you own a Toyota, since that's almost always what he's working on in this videos lol.

ETCG's audience is geared more for us enthusiasts and mechanics.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

I was a little irritated with him. He has a series on a GM 5.3 he tore down because of no compression on a cylinder. He never found the cause and just dropped it.

he mentioned specifically that he had to return the engine quickly, while it would have been nice for root cause analysis, often its not a choice.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
I think Scotty Kilmer's vids are informative and helpful. I followed a number of them to fix stuff and was a great help. He also replies to questions individually via email..explain ur car trouble and he gives advice on what to check.

i think scotty is superficially interesting, but his information is very lacking on the verge of dangerous. he does not explain anything about safety, and he never talks about proper torque specifications on tightening bolts. I have critized him often in the comments on this fact, and he is aloof. Frankly that is amateur and not professional. I get he has 40 some odd years of experience and knows how to turn a wrench "good and tight" under the right circumstances, but that does not earn my respect.

I think Scotty's videos are more of an overview of a repair. He doesn't give detailed specs on how to tighten something, but I think his goal is to get people to be less afraid of doing things themselves. With modern cars many people feel clueless and just go to the dealership to fix things. Scotty shows people that they actually can do things themselves and and at least be informed.

They also give people an idea of what is involved with a certain repair. That way they can decide if its worth tackling themselves, and if they choose not to, they go to the shop being informed on what repair needs to be done. The most common reason people get taken advantage of in the auto industry is because they lack the knowledge on the topic and put false trust in others.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
As far as I know not all Vigor came with 5-cyl, right?

The Vigors all had 2.5l, 5-cyl engines ('92-'94). Specs said 176hp, but others have said the specs were printed low so as not to compete/rob sales from the Legend and actual horse was 190 or so.

Later, it remodeled to a TL, still with the 5 cyl for a few more years, but also offered a V6 under the remodeled TL. I don't know what changed after that. My wife's driving a '03 TL-S with a 3.2l, V-6, that's a different car from the Vigor. Much easier to cruise at 75-80 in her car, just kind of lops along, while in the Vigor you're sure it's a lot harder to be able to drive that speed.

I'm pretty sure that's a difference you'd feel jumping a 100HP or so and more torque no matter what make.

Also, my Vigor's an automatic. Though I really like the shift behavior of it, the people who drive manual Vigors claim they'd never want to drive an auto, and maybe that's the one people are nostalgic with. The shift behavior is that it doesn't try to save fuel at all costs. Instead, it tries to do what I'd be doing anyway if I was driving a stick. Downshifting for engine braking down a hill, one thing I really liked when I had a long downhill on my way home years ago. In the mid '90s domestic rental cars always wanted to get into the highest gear asap, and stay there, while imports were about 70/30, the more performance-oriented Celica not doing so. People who drive a stick don't go for top gear when doing 40 and the next stoplight is a half-mile away.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

Part 4 in his video showed him dissecting the engine and found the piston rings openings lined up thus losing compression.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76UFa5VWwuQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back