08 Liberty, Switching to HM oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Wife's 08 Jeep Liberty has been using Valvoline Nextgen 5w-20 for the last couple of years with no issues.

Now at 80000+ miles on the clock I'm thinking of switching it to Maxlife Nextgen 5w-20.

I like the thought of recycling oil.

Should be no Issues right?

Atta Boy.
smile.gif

5000 mile Oci, 300 miles a week with 50% Highway. Bosh Filter.

Gets a short cold trip every morning (kid to Schoolbus)

Not in a garage, So in the winter it gets some very cold starts.

The Wife is a spirited driver...

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
No issues and Maxlife is the king of HM oils. Win - win.

Maxlife or Maxlife NextGen?

Originally Posted By: 123Saab

Maxlife or Maxlife NextGen?

Either.

Explain this....so you are saying Maxlife is better than Mobil 1 high mileage that is a full synthetic. I have run Maxlife in my Mountaineer 4.6L and didn't like it at all.

Originally Posted By: map76

Explain this....so you are saying Maxlife is better than Mobil 1 high mileage that is a full synthetic. I have run Maxlife in my Mountaineer 4.6L and didn't like it at all.

You ask for an explanation and then don't give one yourself as to why your 4.6L doesn't like it... hmmm...

No that's not what I'm saying, M1HM is a bit off an oddity being the only top tier full syn available. I'm referring to performance, price and market share, I'd bet Maxlife is used here at least 10 to 1 over M1HM.

By the same token, M1 is the king of full synthetics, again market share and the product everyone is trying to knock off the top of the hill. Same deal as with Maxlife, just a different segment.

For most applications that could use a HM oil, I do think Maxlife is most often going to be the "better" choice though. How many guys with older cars using HM oil run long enough OCI's to justify the cost of a full syn? Not many....

Did you engine not run well on Maxlife?

I use Maxlife full synthetic or Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w30 interchangeably one my Taurus. Can't tell any difference. Next time I'm probably going to cheap out and get PZHM

No that's not what I'm saying, M1HM is a bit off an oddity being the only top tier full syn available. I'm referring to performance, price and market share, I'd bet Maxlife is used here at least 10 to 1 over M1HM.

By the same token, M1 is the king of full synthetics, again market share and the product everyone is trying to knock off the top of the hill. Same deal as with Maxlife, just a different segment.

For most applications that could use a HM oil, I do think Maxlife is most often going to be the "better" choice though. How many guys with older cars using HM oil run long enough OCI's to justify the cost of a full syn? Not many....

Sorry for the delayed response. I have a new baby at home. Thanks for the explanation. I was just curious why Maxlife seems to be so popular and " the king" of high mileage oils. I guess you are right about the price point and why people choose Maxlife. Although, if you run Mobil 1 HM for 10k I would think it would be a great value. Maybe Maxlife could go 10k, idk.
I guess it just comes down to preference. I could be off my rocker, but my truck seemed to run a little smoother with Mobil 1. Startup on cold mornings seemed better with Mobil 1 as well. I tow with my Mountaineer and I wanted the best HM oil I could get. I had not used a HM oil before I used the Mobil 1 on my last oil change. I have Maxlife in right now and it is the first time I have ever used a Valvoline oil. I wish Valvoline had a full synthetic Maxlife in 5w20. I would like to try that as well. Thanks again for your explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back