Best oil filter for GM 5.3 L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a new 04 Suburban with the 5.3L engine. What oil filter would you use? I crawled under the Suburban and the oil filter sure looks small but I can't read the filter number.

I rank all these as "Best"

AC Delco (blue) Duraguard

AC Delco (black) Ultraguard *if you can find it*

K&N Performance Gold

Ford Motorcraft

Purolator PureOne

Baldwin

The K&N are nice additions to a Truck since they are truly heavy duty peices
wink.gif

For the price, you can't beat a blue AC for the common numbers. An oversize never hurts if you have the clearance, PF47/PF52. No bypass to sweat. If it is some odd number that you can't find in AC, ST may be as good as others, and cheaper. For my Cavalier element, I can buy Purolator cheaper than ST.

Baldwin or Wix would be my choice.

If folks are going to recommend the AC-Delco they should at least specify which version they like. The Delphi and Champion filters appear to be very different and there have been reports of a third Mexico sourced variety.

John

Yeah it's definetly not the same size as the good old FRAM PH8A found on the old 305's. It's closer in size the filters found on the 307.

I've used both AC Delco and WIX, never FRAM. If I'm buying an air filter I'll P/U an oil filter too otherwise I just hit NAPA and a WIX.

quote:

Originally posted by yankees1:
Just bought a new 04 Suburban with the 5.3L engine. What oil filter would you use? I crawled under the Suburban and the oil filter sure looks small but I can't read the filter number.

I have an Avalanche with the same engine. I am going to change the oil this weekend and am planning on using a Balwdin B31.

If I find that getting them is too much of a pain, then I am going to use the K&N.

Best of luck.

Bob W.

I have an 04 Express van I use for my Mobile Oil Change business. I drive the vehicle very hard, it has a 5.3. I am on my 3rd oil change. The last two changes I have used the Powerflo filter from Purolator, I have gotten very good reports back from Blackstone. I use these filters all the time. I pay about $1.69 each for them. I actually have my last sample at Blackstone now, waiting for an answer.

I have the 4.8 block. Its the same as the 5.3 except for the crank and pistons.Mine specifies the pf44 which I thought was to small.I installed the larger pf59 which is what the 02`s ran .There were no problems running this filter on my truck and oil analyisis showed that it was doing a good job,Chris.

Nobody knows which oil filter is "best." The OEM filter the engine designer used on that engine is his preference...who knows why?...cost?, effectiveness?...who knows?

In any case, using the OEM filter means that GM is on the hook in case of damage from oil filter failure. If you use a aftermarket filter spec'ed for that engine, the filter maker is on the hook. If you use a filter not spec'ed for that engine, you're on the hook.

Yes, the filters are smaller. We do not know if the reason is to save a few pennies, or because modern filter media has more filtering holes of the correct size per square inch, or if modern engines don't gunk up the oil as much. Likely, all are true. I don't use oversized, non-spec filters.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back